If you’re a hard-training athlete, you know B vitamins are crucial in ramping up your performance.
That’s because they increase energy levels and boost heart health.
From the looks of things, NOW Men’s Extreme Sports Multi can do these for you and then some.
The insane vitamin B12 content (16,667 percent of the daily value) should be a dead giveaway.
Enjoy the review, folks.
About NOW Men’s Extreme Sports Multi
NOW Men’s Extreme Sports Multi is a multivitamin with “vital nutrients targeted for extremely active men,” per its official website. Formula notes:
- Insane vitamin B12 content. No other multivitamin can touch its 16,667 percent of the daily value.
- GMP-certified. No synthetic ingredients and fillers whatsoever.
- Fragile softgels. Most common customer complaint.
NOW Men’s Extreme Sports Multi Supplement Facts (90 Softgels)
|Serving Size: 3 Softgels
Servings Per Container: 30
|Nutrient||Amount Per Serving||% Daily Value|
|Calories From Fat||20|
|Saturated Fat||1.5 g||8%*|
|Trans Fat||0 g||†|
|Vitamin A (100% as Beta-Carotene) (Betatene®)||5,000 IU||100%|
|Vitamin C (As Ascorbic Acid)||120 mg||200%|
|Vitamin D-3 (as Cholecalciferol)||1,000 IU||250%|
|Vitamin E (from d-alpha Tocopheryl Acetate)||100 IU||333%|
|Vitamin K (as Menaquione and Phytonadione)||45 mcg||56%|
|Thiamin (Vitamin B-1)(from Thiamin HCl)||50 mg||3333%|
|Riboflavin (Vitamin B-2)||50 mg||2,941%|
|Niacin (Vitamin B-3)(as Niacinamide)||50 mg||250%|
|Vitamin B-6 (from Pyridoxine HCl)||50 mg||2500%|
|Folate (as Folic Acid)||400 mcg||100%|
|Vitamin B-12 (as Methylcobalamin)||1,000 mcg||16,667%|
|Pantothenic Acid (from Calcium Pantohenate)||50 mg||500%|
|Calcium [from Calcium Carbonate (Aquamin® Seaweed Derived Minerals)]||50 mg||5%|
|Iodine (from Potassium Iodide)||225 mcg||150%|
|Magnesium (from Magnesium Aspartate, Magnesium Citrate and 25 mg Aquamin® Seaweed Derived Minerals)||25 mg||6%|
|Zinc [from Zinc Bisglycinate (TRAACS®), Zinc Mono-L-methionine and Zinc Aspartate)||15 mg||100%|
|Selenium (from Selenium Glycinate Complex)||200 mcg||286%|
|Copper (from Copper Bisglycinate)(TRAACS®)||2 mg||100%|
|Selenium (from Selenium Glycinate Complex)||200 mcg||286%|
|Copper (from Copper Bisglycinate) (TRAACS®)||2 mg||100%|
|Manganese (from Manganese Bisglycinate)(TRAACS®)||2 mg||100%|
|Chromium (from Chromium Picolinate)||200 mcg||167%|
|Molybdenum (from Sodium Molybdate)||75 mcg||100%|
|MCT (Medium Chain Triglycerides) Oil||1,500 mg||†|
|Amino acids, proprietary blend of: L-Leucine, L-Isoleucine, L-Valine, L-Glutamine, L-Arginine, Taurine (all free-form)||175 mg||†|
|Tribulus terrestris Extract (Fruit)||100 mg||†|
|ZMA® (complex of Zinc Mono-L-methionine, Magnesium/Zinc Aspartate and Pyridoxine HCl)||100 mg||†|
|CardioAid® – S Plant Sterol Esters (with Beta-Sisterol, plus Campesterol and Stigmasterol)||100 mg||†|
|Panax ginseng Extract (root)||100 mg||†|
|Maca (Lepidium meyenii) (Root)||50 mg||†|
|Green Tea Extract (Leaf)||50 mg||†|
|Saw Palmetto Extract (Fruit)||50 mg||†|
|Alpha Lipoic Acid||50 mg||†|
|Aloe Vera Leaf (Concentrate)||50 mg||†|
|Lutein (from Marigold Extract)||500 mcg||†|
|Lycopene (from Natural Tomato Extract)||500 mcg||†|
|Other Ingredients: Softgel Capsule (bovine gelatin, glycerin, water, carob), Beeswax and Soy Lecithin.|
|Suggested Usage & Storage: Take 3 softgels daily with food. Store in a cool, dry, dark place after opening.|
Targeted For Extremely Active Men
We’ve reviewed some awesome bodybuilding supplements from NOW Foods.
Most of these products have one common denominator – they ramp up their vitamin B12 content.
We have yet to see another manufacturer come close to the vitamin b12 content NOW Foods offers.
The company’s other energy booster’s name, NOW B-12 10,000 mcg, is indicative of its astronomical vitamin B12 content.
If you thought the former knocked your socks off, wait until you get a load of the former.
How about 166,667 percent of the daily value for vitamin B12, folks?
Now, that is insane in every sense of the word.
As for NOW Foods’ multivitamin for men, NOW Men’s Extreme Sports Multi, it doesn’t have as much vitamin B12 as NOW B-12 10,000 mcg.
However, judging by its ingredient profile, the former should pull off a few surprises.
NOW Foods doesn’t resort to any fancy marketing tactic like some of its competitors.
It gets right down to it.
The company dubs NOW Men’s Extreme Sports Multi its multivitamin product “targeted for extremely active men,” per its official website.
Okay, the competition just became more intense, folks.
It should be interesting to see if NOW Men’s Extreme Sports Multi can beat the likes of Beverly International Super Pak and JYM Vita JYM – two of the best athlete multivitamins we’ve reviewed here on B5.
After scanning the bottle, we’re giving NOW Men’s Extreme Sports Multi a good first impression.
That’s because we found a “Quality (GMP) Assured” stamp of approval on it.
“Good Manufacturing Processes (GMPs) are guidelines that provide a system of processes, procedures, and documentation to assure a product has the identity, strength, composition, quality, and purity that appear on its label,” per The Public Health and Safety Organization’s official website.
We’re stoked NOW Men’s Extreme Sports Multi has GMP certification.
This means the product has no fillers and dirty ingredients whatsoever.
We’re hoping other multivitamin manufacturers follow suit – the sooner, the better.
Okay, when you’re talking about a multivitamin geared toward active men and athletes, B vitamins take center stage.
Long story short, they ramp up energy levels and improve cardiovascular health – two important benefits for sportsmen.
Let’s check out how NOW Men’s Extreme Sports Multi stacks up against the aforementioned Beverly International Super Pak and JYM Vita JYM in terms of its B vitamin arsenal:
|Beverly International Super Pak||JYM Vita JYM||NOW Men’s Extreme Sports Multi|
|Thiamin (Vitamin B1)||150 mg (10,000 percent DV)||100 mg (5,882 percent DV)||50 mg (3,333 percent DV)|
|Riboflavin (Vitamin B2)||150 mg (8,823 percent DV)||100 mg (5,882 percent DV)||50 mg (2,941 percent DV)|
|Niacin (Vitamin B3)||150 mg (750 percent DV)||100 mg (500 percent DV)||50 mg (250 percent DV)|
|Pantothenic Acid (Vitamin B5)||150 mg (1,500 percent DV)||100 mg (1,000 percent DV)||50 mg (500 percent DV)|
|Pyridoxine (Vitamin B6)||150 mg (7,500 percent DV)||100 mg (5,000 percent DV)||50 mg (2,500 percent DV)|
|Vitamin B12||150 mcg (2,500 percent DV)||500 mcg (8,333 percent DV)||1,000 mcg (16,667 percent DV)|
It’s clear as day NOW Men’s Extreme Sports Multi lags behind in every B vitamin type except vitamin B12.
The takeaway: NOW Men’s Extreme Sports Multi is the king of vitamin B12 among athlete multivitamins.
Let’s rattle off some of its benefits:
- Helps ward off free radicals
- Ensures proper heart function
- Keep fatigue at bay
- Strengthens the nervous system
- Plays a key role in the formation and maintenance of red blood cells
Well, these are excellent benefits for athletes (and we figured, extremely active men who aren’t athletes), aren’t they?
On that note, we’re glad NOW Men’s Extreme Sports Multi can help you in those regards.
Let’s now zero in on the other components which are vital for athletes.
According to Dieticians of Canada, these ingredients will serve any athlete well:
- Vitamin E
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin D
Will NOW Men’s Extreme Sports Multi be up to the task?
Your guess is as good as ours, folks.
Dieticians of Canada listed iron first on its list, and with good reason.
The organization says, “Iron is critical for athletes because it helps the body use and carry oxygen to active muscles. You may need more if you train hard.”
Unfortunately, NOW Men’s Extreme Sports Multi has no iron content.
On the flip side, it has 5,000 IU (1oo percent of the daily value) for vitamin A (as 100 percent beta-carotene).
Many fitness enthusiasts know beta-carotene for its eye health benefits.
However, it’s more than that.
Beta-carotene is also an antioxidant which helps ward off nasty free radicals. It also helps boost heart health.
Is there an athlete or extremely active man who wouldn’t want those?
We doubt it.
One hundred percent of the daily value for vitamin A should go a long way.
We’re also stoked NOW Men’s Extreme Sports Multi has 100 IU (333 percent of the daily value) for vitamin E.
This vitamin’s benefits are similar to those of beta-carotene.
In addition, vitamin E helps regulate the body’s metabolic processes.
Next up is 120 milligrams of vitamin C (as ascorbic acid) (equal to 200 percent of the daily value ) per serving.
This vitamin also acts as a potent antioxidant. Not only that, but it also helps boost the immune and cardiovascular systems.
It also helps keep the common cold at bay and improve eye health.
Listen, NOW Men’s Extreme Sports Multi’s 200 percent of the daily value isn’t the most among multivitamins (JYM Vita JYM has 417 percent of the daily value, for instance), but it should still help you in more ways than one.
This product also has 200 mcg of selenium (equal to 286 percent of the daily value) per serving.
This mineral helps regulate thyroid function and ramp up muscular strength.
NOW Men’s Extreme Sports Multi’s selenium content is one of the highest in the industry (it’s at par with JYM Vita JYM’s).
That bodes well for extremely active men.
As for calcium and vitamin D, they “are important for healthy bones, teeth, muscles, nerves and hormone function,” per Dieticians of Canada’s official website.
Unfortunately, NOW Men’s Extreme Sports Multi is not a significant source of calcium at just five percent of the daily value (anything which has this much has a low value).
Good thing it has 1,000 IU of vitamin D3 (equal to 250 percent of the daily value) – one of the highest among multivitamins.
Our take on NOW Men’s Extreme Sports Multi’s components for athletes and extremely active men: they’re not the most in the industry (no iron content, lower B vitamin content than some competitors, and low calcium content), but they should still make a difference.
Let’s check out the formula ingredients:
- Calories, 25: NOW Men’s Extreme Sports Multi is one of the rare multivitamins which reveals its calorie content. Twenty-five calories per three softgels won’t compromise your nutrition goals in any way.
- Calories from fat, 20: Okay, so it turns out 80 percent of this multivitamin’s calories come from fats (specifically from the MCT oil component). Not too worry, as the next section will attest.
- Total fat, 2.5 g: This much represents just four percent of the daily value for fats. Like we said, anything which has a value of five percent or less is low. You can breathe a sigh of relief now.
- Saturated fat, 1.5 g: Eight percent of the daily value for saturated fats isn’t low, but it isn’t high, either.
- Trans fat, 0 g: Look at the bright side, folks: at least NOW Men’s Extreme Sports Multi has no trans fat content whatsoever. Remember, this ingredient lowers your good cholesterol (HDL) levels and increases your bad cholesterol (LDL) levels. Your cardiologist won’t be very happy.
- Vitamin A (100 percent as beta-carotene)(Betatene), 5,000 IU: A vitamin which helps improve eyesight, strengthen bones, and – believe it or not – increase muscle mass.
- Vitamin C (as ascorbic acid), 120 mg: A powerful antioxidant which keeps nasty free radicals at bay. As a bonus, it also helps manufacture collagen, the protein found in connective tissue.
- Vitamin D3 (as cholecalciferol), 1,000 IU: A critical vitamin for extremely active men and athletes. Vitamin D plays a key role in bone, teeth, muscle, nerve, and hormone function.
- Vitamin E (as d-alpha tocopheryl acetate), 10o IU: Some experts believe vitamin E helps improve muscle recovery. Three hundred thirty-three percent of the daily value ought to do the trick.
- Vitamin K (as menaquinone and phytonadione), 45 mcg: A vitamin which helps ward off blood clots, strengthen bones, and boost heart health.
- Thiamin (vitamin B1)(from thiamin HCl), 50 mg: Classic B vitamin which helps increase energy levels and improve cardiovascular health. While NOW Men’s Extreme Sports Multi’s 3,333 percent is not the highest among multivitamins, it will make a profound difference. Trust us.
- Riboflavin (vitamin B2), 50 mg: A B vitamin which helps ramp up energy levels and regulate the immune and digestive systems. An awesome 2,941 percent of the daily value for vitamin B2 will make sure these happen.
- Niacin (vitamin B3)(as niacinamide), 50 mg: A vitamin which helps boost cardiovascular health and joint mobility. Warning: high doses of this vitamin may cause “niacin flushing” (“a burning, tingling sensation in the face and chest, and red or flushed skin,” per the University of Maryland Medical Center) in some individuals.
- Vitamin B6 (as pyridoxine HCl), 50 mg: This particular B vitamin helps keep homocysteine levels (a non-protein α-amino acid) in check for better heart health. It also helps regulate sleep cycles for shorter recovery time.
- Folate (as folic acid), 400 mcg: Simply known as vitamin B9, this ingredient helps lower cholesterol levels and improve heart health.
- Vitamin B12 (as methylcobalamin), 1,000 mcg: A B vitamin which helps increase energy levels and improve cardiovascular health. NOW Men’s Extreme Sports Multi’s insane 16,667 percent of the daily value for vitamin B12 is far and away the most among multivitamins.
- Biotin, 300 mcg: Also known as vitamin B7, this component helps improve skin, nail, and hair health; repair muscle tissue, and ward off inflammation.
- Pantothenic acid (from calcium pantothenate), 50 mg: Also known as vitamin B5, this ingredient helps ramp up stamina, keep fatigue at bay, and regulate the immune system – three critical benefits for athletes.
- Calcium [from calcium carbonate (Aquamin seaweed-derived minerals)], 50 mg: NOW Men’s Extreme Sports Multi is not a significant source of calcium at just five percent of the daily value.
- Iodine (from potassium iodide), 225 mcg: Helps ensure optimal thyroid function and keep bacterial growth in check.
- Magnesium (from magnesium aspartate, magnesium citrate, and 25 mg Aquamin seaweed-derived minerals), 25 mg: NOW Men’s Extreme Sports Multi is not a significant source of magnesium at six percent of the daily value.
- Zinc [from zinc bisglycinate (TRAACS), zinc mono-l-methionine and zinc aspartate], 15 mg: A mineral which helps increase testosterone levels for more muscle mass and strength. Zinc also helps improve sleep quality.
- Selenium (from selenium glycinate complex), 200 mcg: A trace mineral which helps improve thyroid and immune system function. Some experts also believe selenium may help increase muscular strength.
- Copper (from copper bisglycinate)(TRAACS), 2 mg: A mineral which helps ramp up energy and human growth hormone (HGH) levels.
- Manganese (from manganese bisglycinate)(TRAACS), 2 mg: A mineral which helps boost testosterone levels and produce connective tissue.
- Chromium (from chromium picolinate), 200 mcg: A mineral which helps regulate insulin levels for increased muscle growth and fat loss.
- Molybdenum (from sodium molybdate), 75 mcg: A component which helps increase energy levels and facilitate elimination of waste from the kidneys.
- MCT (medium-chain triglycerides) oil, 1,500 mg: NOW Men’s Extreme Sports Multi is one of the rare multivitamins with MCT oil, a source of ATP energy for the brain and muscles. We think this is a huge plus.
- Tribulus terrestris extract (fruit), 100 mg: An herb which helps enhance sexual, cardiovascular, and urogenital health.
- ZMA (complex of zinc mono-l-methionine, magnesium/zinc aspartate and pyridoxine HCl), 100 mg: A combo of zinc, magnesium, and vitamin B6, this component helps improve sleep quality for optimal recovery. ZMA also helps ramp up muscle growth and strength.
- CardioAid – S plant sterol esters (with beta-sitosterol, plus campesterol and stigmasterol), 100 mg: These plant-based sterols help lower cholesterol levels for better overall cardiovascular health.
- Panax ginseng extract (root), 100 mg: An adaptogen which helps lower stress levels, increase energy levels, and regulate the immune system.
- Maca (Lepidium meyenii)(root), 50 mg: An adaptogen which helps regulate prostate health and increase sperm production. Maca root also helps ramp up energy levels and keep nasty free radicals at bay.
- Green tea extract (leaf), 50 mg: Helps boost brain function, increase fat loss, improve physical performance, ward off free radicals, and regulate cardiovascular health.
- Saw palmetto extract (fruit), 50 mg: A plant which helps improve prostate health, regulate testosterone levels, boost urological health, and keep hair loss at bay.
- Alpha lipoic acid, 50 mg: Simply known as ALA, this antioxidant helps ward off oxidative stress, support insulin sensitivity, improve eye health, and preserve bone density.
- Aloe vera leaf (concentrate), 50 mg: A plant which helps improve skin health and boost weight loss.
- Lutein (from marigold extract), 500 mcg: A carotenoid which helps boost overall eye health and keep macular degeneration at bay.
- Lycopene (from natural tomato extract), 500 mcg: A natural compound which helps boost heart and eye health and keep free radicals at bay.
Amino Acids (Proprietary Blend), 175 mg
- L-leucine: The most anabolic amino acid which helps kickstart the muscle protein synthesis process.
- L-isoleucine: A BCAA which helps increase energy levels, shorten recovery time, repair muscle tissue, and maintain a positive nitrogen balance.
- L-valine: A BCAA which helps repair muscle tissue, ramp up endurance, increase muscle growth, improve sleep quality, and suppress appetite.
- L-glutamine: An amino acid which helps preserve muscle mass, increase HGH levels, boost digestion, maintain healthy blood sugar levels, and keep free radicals at bay.
- L-arginine: An amino acid known for its potent vasodilator effects. L-arginine helps improve blood flow, increase muscle pumps, regulate blood pressure levels, and boost nutrient uptake.
- Taurine: An amino acid which helps help regulate muscle cell volume, burn fat, improve insulin sensitivity, lower stress levels, and improve cardiovascular and neurological health.
The manufacturer stressed NOW Men’s Extreme Sports Multi is geared toward “extremely active men.”
You know what? This multivitamin should help improve their lifestyle. Count on it.
Let us count the ways.
First of all, NOW Men’s Extreme Sports Multi has GMP certification.
This means this product has no synthetic ingredients whatsoever. You’re talking about all-natural ingredients.
That’s a major plus, folks.
You also can’t get past the insane 16,667 percent of the daily value for vitamin B12.
Seriously, it’s the highest we’ve seen in a multivitamin.
That much is sure to shore up your heart health and ramp up your energy levels.
It’s clear NOW Men’s Extreme Sports Multi lags behind other leading brands in terms of B vitamin arsenal.
However, its superior vitamin B12 content should help offset that. Besides, its other B vitamin levels aren’t bad at all.
As for the other critical vitamins for extremely active men and athletes, NOW Men’s Extreme Sports Multi covers the bases well – it has good amounts of beta-carotene (vitamin A), vitamin C, vitamin D, vitamin E, selenium, and copper.
These will help take your performance to the next level, for sure.
On the flip side, it’s unfortunate NOW Men’s Extreme Sports Multi has no iron and insufficient calcium content. Those would have helped immensely.
Nevertheless, the rest of the ingredient lineup makes up for it.
What extremely active man would pass up on components such as Tribulus terrestris (enhanced sexual function), zinc (increased testosterone), plant sterol esters (lower cholesterol levels), and green tea extract (increased antioxidant protection), for instance?
We sure won’t.
Throw in ingredients such as MCT, maca root, ALA, lutein, and lycopene, and you’ve got it made, folks.
On that note, it’s not as comprehensive as Optimum Nutrition OPTI-MEN, but it holds its own. No question about it.
In terms of reputation, NOW Men’s Extreme Sports Multi’s is good. Many men have given it high marks online.
On the other hand, we’re not so gung-ho about NOW Men’s Extreme Sports Multi’s Amino Acid proprietary blend.
Don’t get us wrong here: BCAAs, glutamine, taurine, and l-arginine will all help you remain in an anabolic state.
Thing is, it’s still a shady proprietary blend.
Finally, this multivitamin’s softgels are arguably the most fragile we’ve come across.
Many men have been griping about NOW Men’s Extreme Sports Multi’s softgels breaking while in transit.
It’s the main reason why these guys hesitate to give this multivitamin higher marks. Seriously.
Clearly, the manufacturer should do something about this.
Despite these shortcomings, NOW Men’s Extreme Sports Multi will still give you a fast return on your hard-earned investment.
NOW Men’s Extreme Sports Multi Benefits
NOW Men’s Extreme Sports Multi has the following benefits:
- Increased B vitamin levels
- Superior vitamin B12 content
- Impressive ingredient profile for extremely active men
- Additional free-form amino acids, ZMA, Tribulus terrestris, MCT oil, herbal extracts, etc.
These make NOW Men’s Extrme Sports Multi a competitive multivitamin which should help improve your athletic performance and overall quality of life.
Who Takes It?
The manufacturer intended NOW Men’s Extreme Sports Multi for active adult males who want to increase energy, endurance, muscle mass, and strength; achieve their daily fitness goals, and improve their overall quality of life.
Any Side Effects?
NOW Men’s Extreme Sports Multi has 200 percent of the daily value for vitamin B3 (niacin), which may cause “niacin flushing” (a tingling sensation in the face and chest) in some individuals.
If this, or any other ingredient, makes you feel doubtful, please consult your physician before purchasing.
NOW Men’s Extreme Sports Multi Summary
- Impressive overall ingredient profile. Holds its own against other leading athlete multivitamins.
- Insane vitamin B12 content. Has 16,667 percent of the daily value – the highest we’ve seen in a multivitamin.
- GMP-certified. You won’t find any synthetic ingredients or fillers whatsoever.
- Improves overall quality of life. Has green tea extract, amino acids, plant sterol esters, ZMA, MCT oil, etc.
- Good reputation. Customers have given it high marks online.
- Proprietary blend. Manufacturer fails to break down its Amino Acid blend. Boo.
- Fragile softgels. Most common customer complaint.
Pricing & Buying Info
- 1 90-Softgel Bottle (30-Day Supply): $24.99
- 1 180-Softgel Bottle (60-Day Supply): $44.99
- Available online and in retail
Final Word on NOW Men’s Extreme Sports Multi
We’ll say this much, folks: NOW Men’s Extreme Sports Multi is a legit athlete multivitamin.
It’s not the most potent in the industry, but it will exceed your expectations. Guaranteed.
We highly recommend you buy NOW Men’s Extreme Sports Multi and watch your performance soar to never-before-reached heights.