The FDA doesn’t much like Stacker 2.
In 2004, they swooped in and seized thousands of Stacker 2 bottles, eventually burying them in a landfill. The reason? This popular diet pill used to contain ephedra, a highly dangerous but effective stimulant.
At the time, Stacker 2’s manufacturer vowed to fight for the right to continue formulating with ephedra… which is SKETCHY and irresponsible. But it looks like he came to his senses: Stacker 2 is now ephedra-free.
It remains, however, a caffeine-heavy, stimulant-based fat-burning formula. Has this notorious product redeemed itself? Let’s find out. Spoiler alert: NO.
About Stacker 2
Stacker 2 is billed as being “Brought to you by the Manufacturers of the World’s Strongest Fat Burner!” There’s a lot of semantics in play with that wordy tagline, probably due to their past issues with the FDA. Some Stacker 2 formula notes:
- Caffeine: They use a high dosage of straight caffeine and combine it with caffeinated herbals… at LEAST 200 mg per serving, will definitely give a boost.
- Half-assed caffeine complements: Stacker 2 includes non-stimulants, but they have small, ineffective dosages… treated like an afterthought.
- Poor use of “other ingredients”: Stacker 2 uses synthetics & artificial colors to make the capsule look cool. To us, it looks ridiculous. Poisonous, even.
Stacker 2 Supplement Facts
|Serving Size: 1 capsule|
|Directions ONE CAPSULE AFTER MEALS. DO NOT EXCEED 3 CAPSULES IN A 24 HOUR PERIOD.|
|Ingredients||Amount Per Serving|
|Proprietary Blend||267 mg|
|YERBA MATE (LEAVES), CAMELLIA SINENSIS 60% POLYPHENOLS (GREEN TEA LEAVES), GUGGULSTERONE (WHOLE PLANT), CASSIA MIMOSOIDES EXTRACT (LEAVES/STEMS/PODS), WHITE WILLOW BARK.|
|Caffeine (Anhydrous)||200 mg|
Stacker 2 is a fat-burner & energy-enhancer that relies on intensely stimulating effects.
Let’s take a closer look at the ingredients and analyze the Stacker 2 formula:
- Yerba Mate: Caffeine source. Linked to weight loss via promoting feelings of “full-ness” in animal research, probably due to caffeine & stimulating activities. Still, this ingredient might be good for a fat-burner complex.
- Camellia Sinensis: It’s green tea! Standardized to antioxidant polyphenols, and surely supplying some EGCG, which is an awesome fat-burning compound.
- Guggulsterone: Might work by activating thyroid hormone production, which would ramp up metabolism. This is interesting as a fat burner, and as an active ingredient, but Stacker 2 supplies a small amount.
- Cassia Mimosoides: Early animal research shows that it inhibits fat absorption of and is reputed to be a thermogenic and a diuretic, but there’s a lack of evidence for those claims.
- White Willow: Helps weight loss when combined with kola & ephedra (which isn’t included in here). But that study used 600 mg white willow bark, WAY more than this blend could supply.
- Caffeine Anhydrous: 200 mg is a potent dose. It will help with alertness & fat burning, but expect the shakes.
Stacker 2 used to be a go-to diet pill for everyone from bodybuilders to casual dieters. Because it previously supplied 25 mg of ephedrine, it worked… until the FDA (thankfully) outlawed the dangerous herbal ingredient.
The Stacker 2 brand is trying to maintain their former glory with an attempt at a similar formula. Like the original, this supplement is one that you will FEEL, big-time. Not as much as ephedra of course, but with Stacker 2’s straight caffeine, herbal caffeine, and metabolic boosters, you’ll know when it hits.
So what about fat-burning beyond intense stimulants? Stacker 2’s guggulsterone and Cassia mimosoides look promising at first glance. However, we have no dosage to go on due to the proprietary blend, and there appears to be some supplement facts shenanigans going on where Stacker 2 seems to be hiding something about its guggulsterones.
As a result, we don’t trust the potency of these ingredients for fat-burning purposes. Plus, the white willow is a complete throwaway ingredient that does nothing.
Overall, Stacker 2 is a glorified caffeine formula that promotes fat-burning via stimulant activity and little else.
Stacker 2 Benefits
200+ mg of caffeine from diverse sources will boost alertness and fat burning… at the expense of stimulant-related side effects. Other ingredients could potentially boost metabolic performance and block fat absorption, but we’re not confident enough in their respective dosages to list those as “benefits.”
Who Takes It?
Athletes, bodybuilders & dieters. Despite its notoriety, Stacker 2 remains a well-known and popular diet supplement. Anybody who’s interested in weight loss–from bodybuilders in cutting phases to casual dieters seeking to shed a few pounds–are consumers of this particular formula.
Any Side Effects?
Yes. The bottle displays a disclaimer that warns about the risk of heart attack and stroke if you exceed the recommended dose. Also, there is a potential for rapid heart rate, dizziness, shortness of breath, severe headache, and other mysterious “similar symptoms.” You can’t drink alcohol or caffeine while taking this too unless you want to experience a “serious adverse health effect.”
Stacker 2 Summary
- Energy Boost: 200 mg of caffeine makes you go boom.
- Stimulants: Complementary herbals advance fat-burning.
- Green Tea: It supplies one of the best fat burners known.
- White willow. Does absolutely nothing; a leftover from old formula.
- Junk ingredients. Toxic fillers, dyes & synthetics… neon gut busters.
- Reputation. Major FDA problems, original formula was banned.
The Big Con
Stacker 2’s ephedra problem happened in 2004. Forgive and forget, right? Maybe not. In a 2013 warning letter, the FDA lambasted the company that makes Stacker 2 for manufacturing violations including worker contamination, uncleanliness, rust & dust-covered mixers, foreign materials entering open bottles, and more. Gross. With a con like that, we know another fat-burner supplement wants to punch Stacker 2 in the face.
Pricing & Buying Info
- 1 bottle (100 capsules): $19.99 plus shipping
- Available online and in retail stores
Final Word on Stacker 2
Stacker 2 is intense caffeine dosage and cheap, toxic fillers & artificial dyes. It’s basically a candy-colored caffeine pill with a track record of treachery. Avoid.