We’ve seen an influx of big blends recently on Best5 and a good chunk of them are from the fat burner category. In all honesty, it’s both worrying and exciting. It’s worrying because we’ve seen these types of blends and more than half of them fail to live up to the claims on their label. It’s exciting because now we have a hard time ranking up the best supplements.
LIPO-DREX seems to capitalize on this trend with its 3-blend fat burner. With just one serving a day, will LIPO-DREX actually be capable of melting the fat off your love handles? Or is it all just riding a big trend? Let’s find out.
LIPO-DREX looks to have more than 10 ingredients at first glance. On top of fat burning, it promises to help preserve muscle and provide for focus and “extreme” energy. They also want us to know they have this thing called C3G MAX™ and we have no idea what that is. Formula notes:
- 3 Prop blends. Not exactly a good sign if you ask us.
- Complex design. We look forward to seeing why there are 3 blends.
- 1 Cap per day. Yup, it’s the most convenient alright.
LIPO-DREX Supplement Facts
|Serving Size: 1 Capsule|
Servings Per Container: 45
|Ingredients||Amount Per Serving|
|C3GMax™ Nutrient Partitioning/Cutting Matrix||318mg|
|Aronia (Aronia Melanocarpa) (fruit) Powder, Purple Corn (grain) Extract, Blackberry (berry) Extract (Standardized to Cyanadin-3-0-Glucoside)|
|Green Tea (leaf) Extract (std. to 98% polyphenols, 45% EGCG)|
|Coleus Forskohlli Extract (root) (std. min. 10% Forskohlin)|
|N-Acetyl L-Carnitine (as Acetyl-L-Carnitine HCL)|
|THERMO-VAR Thermo-Burn Matrix™||327.5mg|
|Caffeine Anhydrous (199.5mg)|
|Yohimbe (Pausinystalia yohimbe) (bark) Extract (supplying 2.0mg Yohimbine)|
|L-Ornithine (as L-Ornithine HCL)|
|Cayenne Powder (fruit) (Capsaicin annuum) (std. to 40,000 HU/gram) (Capsitherm™)|
|Black Pepper (fruit) Extract (Piper nigrum) (std. 95% piperin) (Bioperine®)|
|ATTAK™ Mental Drive Complex||62.5mg|
|Bacopa (Bacopa monnieri) (leaf) (std. to 20% Bacosides)|
|Theobromine (Theobroma cacao) (seed) Extract (TheoDrene™)|
|Other Ingredients: Gelatin (capsule), Microcrystalline Cellulose, Vegetable Magnesium Stearate, Silicon Dioxide, Titanium Dioxide, Blue #1 Lake, Red #40 Lake.|
|Directions for use: As a dietary supplement, adults under 150 pounds take one serving (1 capsule) 30 minutes prior to your first meal of the day. Adults over 150 pounds, take two servings (2 capsules) 30 minutes prior to your first meal of the day. Do not take within 4 hours prior to sleep. Do not exceed more than 2 capsules per day. LIPO-DREX can be used on its own or with other iSatori supplements that do not contain caffeine or other stimulants.|
LIPO-DREX tried too hard to be a multifaceted fat burner and came up short.
We like the bold steps fat burners take this past few years. They’ve strayed from the usual direction paved by stimulants and are now constantly trying to make their product as holistic as possible. The problem with that is a lot of fat burners deviate from the real intent of their product and LIPO-DREX has that exact problem. Let’s break down the ingredients in this formula:
C3GMax Nutrient Partitioning/Cutting Matrix, 318 mg
- Aronia. Also known as the Black Chokeberry (weird, eh?), this extract seems to function just like any other berry that is it has potent antioxidant activity and could have potential cholesterol and glucose benefits. Studies use at least 300 mg but we’re cutting it some slack and say the it’s dosed at least 100+ mg. Any less and it ain’t gonna do anything.
- Purple Corn. It’s the first time we’ve encountered a fat burner with this ingredient. Studies say it has potential anti-diabetic effects.
- Black Berry. This is a fruit more commonly known for its antioxidant benefits. It’s great and all but like the other two ingredients before it, it’s not a bonafide fat burner.
- Green Tea. Our #1 fat burner finds itself at the bottom half of the blend which speaks volumes on this blend’s lack of focus on fat burning as opposed to general health and wellness. Shame too since it’s standardized to 45% EGCG.
- Coleus. Standardized to 10% forskholin, this ingredient is known to elevate what we call cAMP which further augments our body’s ability to produce energy and metabolize fat.
- N-Acetyl-Carnitine. This is a nootropic mostly but it also double as a fat burner much like our friend carnitine.
- Berberine. This one here is a threat to the pharmaceutical world namely for its anti-diabetic benefits. The catch is, 500 mg is the purported effective dosage so I guess this is next to useless in this blend.
THERMO-VAR Thermo-Burn Matrix, 327.5 mg
- Caffeine. We have 199.5 mg of our favorite buzz booster which may seem small for our friendly but jittery stim junkies. Still, we like the 200 mg dosage as we see it as a good balance between performance and fat burning benefits without making you cranky.
- Yohimbe. Yohimbe works by tweaking your fat burning hormones and making your body produce more of them for a short period of time. It’s only standardized to contain 2 mg of yohimbine, though, and while that’s good enough we can’t help but feel that they wasted dosage by including the whole bark.
- Ornithine. It’s a precursor to Citrulline which is an ingredient capable of improving pumps. Ornithine supplements are claimed to enhance the release of growth hormone and to burn excess body fat although evidence isn’t as solid as we would like to think. Not that it matters, though. Dosage here is clearly subpar for this kind of ingredient.
- Cayenne. Cayenne is a pretty good thermo ingredient or an ingredient that increases body heat. It’s a solid fat burner but we’re concerned about the dosage.
- Black Pepper. Oh look what we have here! Black pepper comes in a premium brand of BioPerine®. Black pepper increases absorption of just about every ingredient even at doses as small as 5 mg. It also doubles as a fat burner similar to cayenne but milder.
ATTAK Mental Drive Complex, 62.5 mg
- Theacrine. We have TeaCrine® which is supposed to be a caffeine supplement with nootropic benefits which negate the side effects. It also acts as a form of slow-release energy so you have energy throughout the workout session and past it.
- Bacopa. One of our favorite nootropics. We can flaunt how great it is as a mental performance booster but the dosage we have is just not worth it.
- Theobromine. It’s the very reason why dark chocolate is healthy and why you shouldn’t feed your dogs with it. It’s known for heart-healthy benefits but weight loss? We got nothing on that.
LIPO-DREX has an interesting formula in a sense that we’re not entirely sure what they want to happen here. It’s like someone who talks a lot but in the end, didn’t really say anything.
The first blend, their purported nutrition/cutting blend, prioritized anti-oxidant and anti-diabetic ingredients ahead of the actual hot stuff. The last two ingredients in this blend need a lot more grams than the whole serving size combined for them to work properly. The potency of their green tea extract and coleus is wasted.
The second blend is supposed to be their main burn blend and perhaps the only “reasonable” blend in this product. The only thing out of place seems to be Ornithine since not only is it more of a pump-ingredient but it also requires massive dosing. Other than that, the rest of the ingredients are terrific choices although we do wish they put yohimbine over yohimbe bark to save on dosing.
The last blend doesn’t seem to be much of anything outside of an attempt of being marketed towards brand/ingredient conscious consumers. Even theacrine, as great a product it is, looks weakly dosed. Don’t even get us started on Bacopa’s dosing here.
All in all, only 1/3 of the blend really shined through for LIPO-DREX but even that is blemished. We’re not entirely sure what angle they were going with here but one thing’s for certain and that it’s not so much a fat burner than a general health product that can help burn fat.
It’s a general health and wellness supplement with a boost of energy and some fat burning.
Who Takes It?
Fitness enthusiasts who know ingredients and probably spent too much time browsing some health guru’s blogs on “fat burning ingredients” instead of considering the working dose. That’s how LIPO-DREX seems to be geared as. Ingredients will attract you but doses would make you hesitate.
Any Side Effects?
We have a lot of things going on here so we’re not entirely sure what kind of side effects you’ll have. What we do know is it has caffeine and caffeine’s side effects are well known. Stay safe by not overdosing or go to your doctor when you feel something wrong.
- Good for you. It’s a health bottle.
- Quality. We like the ingredients we see.
- 1 Cap serving. No need to list how many you take.
- Complicated. Not sure how all of this is supposed to work.
- Underdosed. And barely enough for the actual burners.
Pricing & Buying Info
- 1 bottle (45 servings): $39.99
- Available online and in retail stores
Final Word on LIPO-DREX
LIPO-DREX is a case of trying to do a lot of things but coming up short on each one. Granted the part about fat burning looked great, it couldn’t fully support the overall aspect of the product.
As we said before, we like attempts like this. It makes the competition diverse and hard to choose from. Sadly, being diverse can lead to compromises and LIPO-DREX compromised on fat burning, the one thing consumers would buy it for.
Will we recommend it? It’s a tough sell in any case but sure, why not? It can still burn fat and if you’re into anti-oxidant extras then perhaps this is the product for you.