Celebrities come and go, fashion trends come and go, gadgets come and go. Bro, even supplements come and go. This is the case specially with brands that bit the dust when the government regulated a few substances.
The strong brands know how to adapt, though, and one of those brands is Dexatrim, a fat burner spanning 30 years of market presence.
Dexatrim’s maker Stacker had its share of controversies in the past but today’s Dexatrim revolves around a much safer formula. But is Dexatrim’s new formula too safe to melt fat?
Well, only one way to find out.
About Dexatrim Max Complex 7
Dexatrim is one of the oldest brands in the US. It has undergone severe changes due to FDA rulings on banned substances (such as Ephedra). Today’s Dexatrim will probably not contain any bannable substances unless the U.S. wars England and renders tea consumption illegal. Formula notes:
- How much caffeine?: The supplement facts says it has 150 mg total caffeine but the Warnings label said one capsule has 200 mg caffeine. WHICH IS IT?!
- Other Ingredients: Dexatrim has more ingredients in the “others” section than in the formula.
- The 7: I guess the 7 in the name hints at the 7 Keto or is it the 7 items in the formula? (6 vitamins + 1 Blend)
Dexatrim Max Complex 7 Supplement Facts
|Serving Size: 2 Capsules|
Servings Per Container: 30
|Ingredients||Amount Per Serving|
|Thiamine (as Thiamine Mononitrate)||15 mg (1000% DV)|
|Riboflavin||17 mg (1000% DV)|
|Niacin (as Niacinamide)||200 mg (1000% DV)|
|Vitamin B6 (as Pyridoxine Hydrochloride)||10 mg (500% DV)|
|Vitamin B12 (as Cyanocobalamin)||60 mcg (1000% DV)|
|Pantothenic Acid (as D-Calcium Pantothenate)||25 mg (250% DV)|
|Complex 7TM Proprietary Herbal Blend||650 mg|
|Green Tea (Camellia Sinensis), Oolong Tea [Containing Epigallocatechin Gallate (EGCG)], Asian (Panax) Ginseng Root (Containing Ginsenosides), 7-Keto® [3-Acetyl-7-Oxo Dehydroepiandrosterone].|
|Total Caffeine (from blend)||150 mg|
|Other Ingredients: Other Ingredients: Gelatin, Dicalcium Phosphate, Microcrystalline Cellulose, Stearic Acid, Magnesium Stearate, FD&C Red #3, Titanium Dioxide, FD&C Red #40, FD&C Yellow #6, FD&C Blue #1.|
|Directions for use: Take two capsules with a glass of water in the morning. Do not exceed 4 capsules in a 24-hour period.|
The special ingredient is 7-Keto® DHEA but the mystery dosage raises questions.
Dexatrim used to carry controversial substances, substances that hacked on fat like a chainsaw on a stubborn tree. Today, the special ingredient is 7-Keto® DHEA and it’s a great fat burner but Dexatrim hides the dose in a prop blend. God dammit. Let’s break down the ingredients in this formula:
- B-Complex: Dexatrim is big on B-vitamins. This is nice and all, but they are better as nootropics than as fat-burners. We wish they used superior forms — methylcobalamin (B12) and P-5-P (B6) are more powerful. That’s what the good shit formulas use. This brain booster got ’em both.
- Green and Oolong Tea. These tea ingredients both contain EGCG and a small amount of caffeine, both of which are amazing fat burners. We like that they’re the first two ingredients in the blend but we think Dexatrim should’ve focused on Green tea alone as it has the most amounts of EGCG per mg. If you’re reeeeallllly into tea, this fat burner actually gives you 3 forms.
- Panax Ginseng: Standardized to contain ginsenosides, Panax Ginseng is more of a T and sex booster. One study suggests its use as a weight management supplement by fat digestion inhibition or makes your body less likely to hang on to fat in brospeak. Where does the fat go? In your shit, bro. Interesting choice, even though it’s not the best fat-burner.
- 7-Keto. It’s not every day we get to see this. In fact, this is actually the first product we’ve reviewed to contain 7-Keto. This ingredient is suggested to boost metabolism, increase fat loss, and even increase thyroid hormones (for more fat burning). Kinda weird that they say this formula is “Powered With 7-Keto” but it’s the last ingredient in the prop blend… therefore the smallest dose.
Dexatrim Max Complex 7 is just like your typical fat burner except it has a wildcard ingredient in the form of 7-Keto DHEA.
The fat burning strategy is simple: Increase the body’s overall metabolic rate. Period. It functions like a (very mild) full-body workout where it’s not exactly an intense formula but it rounds out the basics pretty nicely. It’s good and all but we fear the dosages might have been spread too thin.
Now, we really can’t blame Dexatrim for taking a much more conservative route here. In fact, we salute them for it. But if you’re a Bro seeking a fat-burner with massive punching power, then Dexatrim Max might seem a little mild to you. On to them dosages!
Green tea and Oolong tea are dosage hogs, requiring a minimum of 250 mg each to work properly and that’s dependent on EGCG content. On a side note, it’s indicated to have a total of 150 mg of caffeine, a decent dose for fat burning and energy, which probably came from these two. Ginseng, despite being standardized, won’t really have much effect on fat unless you have it at 200 mg, the same case with 7-Keto DHEA based on studies.
From the looks of it, Dexatrim Max Complex 7 only sounds awesome in name (a really cool name, bro) but we think it played it too safe in formulating its new fat burner this time around. Of course, we don’t know for sure cause of the damn prop blends. But if it is weak on dosage, the only possible workaround is to double the dosage, but you end up doubling the cost per serving, and end up with a 300 mg caffeine dose… so just take care with that.
Dexatrim Max Complex 7 Benefits
The fat burners, along with its caffeine content, could work in a sense that you’ll have a faster metabolism and higher energy during the day but nothing too extreme or intense. The Ginseng, if the dosage is high enough, can do a lot to complement fat-burning — everything from helping your body adapt to the stress of weight loss to giving you better boners for all those chicks you bang with your new lean, mean physique.
7-Keto is pretty awesome as a fat-burner, but its unique advantage would appear to be for age-related weight gain tied to hormonal changes. Something like Animal Cuts has similar benefits, plus a whole lot more for younger Bros. Finally, while they say it blocks hunger, we’re not really seeing anything that validates that claim.
Who Takes It?
Dexatrim Max is very much a mass-market fat-burner that targets a general weight loss demographic. Office workers or typical stay at home moms and dads who just want to lose weight without investing much on weight loss supplements or busy themselves with combinations and stacks. It’s also one of those “impulse buy” fat burners that you might see in drug stores, which attracts more casual newbs.
Any Side Effects?
Some users report of having their piss turn orange or a really bright yellow which is probably due to the excess B-vitamins in your body. But really… who cares. Just don’t flip out when you pee neon. It also has 150 mg caffeine so you just might experience jitters and maybe crashing. The 7-Keto is a great choice for tolerability because it is essentially DHEA without the hardcore components that come with intense side effects. With that, we’re thinking Dexatrim has done a nice job of constructing a fat-burner where side effects will be minimal or nonexistent.
Dexatrim Max Complex 7 Summary
- Safe. Nothing here will harm you unless you’re allergic.
- Simple design. Focused on boosting general metabolism.
- 7-Keto DHEA. A great ingredient we don’t see much.
- Cost-effective. Because cheap is a negative word.
- Too safe? Is there such a thing? Nah. Let’s just say “mild.”
- Underdosing. Dosage hogs are a menace to small blends.
- Too many colors. Totally unnecessary.
- Prop freakin’ blends. Hard to trust, despite good ingredients.
Pricing & Buying Info
- 1 bottle (30 servings): $20.00
- Available online and in retail stores
Final Word on Dexatrim Max Complex 7
Dexatrim Max Complex 7 is probably best left for those who want to lose weight but don’t want to get their feet wet on any products with intimidating formulations. In this regard, Dexatrim’s latest formula, while safe and basically functional, falls a little short of what today’s more intense fat burners are capable of. This formula is a good way to get 7-Keto®, though, and in that context might be a good choice for people over 40 dealing with age-related weight gain. All in all, a nice rebound formula from a company that’s had some troubles in the past.