The concepts of “Arnold Schwarzenegger” and “weight loss” don’t mix well.
It’s the equivalent of Slipknot covering the Friends theme song—the two are just not compatible (we’d still love to hear it, though).
Yet, when Arnie “loses weight,” he doesn’t lose weight. He gains weight. It’s a weight management technique prescribed as the manly art of “Cutting”: You build muscle to burn energy to cut fat.
Essentially, that’s what Arnold’s fat burner Arnold Iron Cuts promises: BIG muscles for BIG cuts. Yet, in regards to supplement science, how does that even work?
More importantly: Does it work?
About Arnold Iron Cuts
What does Mr. Schwarzenegger say about the MusclePharm® product sporting his name?:
“Iron Cuts is a 3-in-1 fat metabolizing & cutting formula that contains precise ratios of active ingredients to support optimal levels of hormones to give you that harder and drier and cleaner look.”
If that sounds vague, it’s because it is. But big man Arnie wouldn’t just endorse any ol’ supplement, right? …Right?? Formula notes:
- 3 Fat Metabolizing Blends: Well, one fat metabolizing blend + 2 sex hormone blends that might indirectly help metabolize fat… maybe.
- Muscle Building T-Boosters: The true stars of this quote-unquote “fat burner.”
- Estrogen & Cortisol Crushers: Blocks T-converting aromatase and metabolism-reducing cortisol. Albeit at a questionably small dosage.
Arnold Iron Cuts Supplement Facts
|Serving Size: 3 Capsules
Servings Per Container: 7
|Ingredients||Amount Per Serving|
|Vitamin D (as Cholecalciferol)||400 IU (100% DV)|
|Chromium (as Chromium Picolinate)||50 mcg (42% DV)|
|Muscle Building Maximizer||1,000 mg|
|D-Aspartic Acid, AminoShield® Eriobotrya Japonica Leaf Extract Proprietary Blend of 20% Pentacyclic Triterpenoids, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Boron Citrate, Fenugreek (Trigonella Foenum Graecum) Seed Extract 50% Saponins, Pumpkin Seed (Cucurbita Moschata Poiret) Extract|
|Thermogenic & Fat Metabolizer||930 mg|
|L-Carnitine Tartrate, Green Tea (Camellia Sinensis) Leaf Extract, Caffeine Anhydrous, Panax Ginseng Root Powder, N-Acetyl-L-Tyrosine, Thermodiamine™ (98% Evodiamine), Vinpocetine, Inositol|
|Estrogen & Cortisol Metabolizer||144 mg|
|Grape (Vitis Vinifera) Seed Extract, Diindolylmethane (DIM), Cinnamon (Cinnamomum Cassia) Bark Powder, Phosphatidylserine Powder, Banaba (Lagerstoemia Speciosa) Leaf Extract 1% Corosolic Acid, Chromium Picolinate|
|Other Ingredients: Gelatin, Magnesium Stearate, Silicon Dioxide, Microcrystalline Cellulose|
|DIRECTIONS: (Males) As a dietary supplement take one serving (3) capsules daily with your first meal.
INTENSE TRAINING PROGRAMS: (Males) As a dietary supplement take one serving (3) capsules twice daily. Morning: Take (3) capsules with breakfast. Afternoon: Take (3) capsules with lunch, or afternoon meal. *IRON CUTS™ should not be taken within 6 hours before bed.
3-in-1 Fat Metabolizing? Well, technically, there are 3 fat burners in 1 blend…
Let’s start the analysis with the basic vitamin and mineral that lead off the label:
- Vitamin D (as Cholecalciferol): Most potent form. Supports muscular strength and function.
- Chromium (as Chromium Picolinate). Mixed research for this mineral, but popular for weight loss.
Meh, not much there. Arnold Iron Cuts is really powered by its maximizing & metabolizing prop blends:
Muscle Building Maximizer, 1,000 mg
Blend includes proven T-boosters such as D-Aspartic Acid (DAA), Boron Citrate, Fenugreek (standardized!), and Pumpkin Seed Extract—unfortunately, the chosen DAA is the cheaper, plain form… D-AA-CC is the good shit you find in super-advanced, ludicrous-potency T-boosters.
Alpha Lipoic Acid promotes lean muscle mass, yet we’re confused by the Eriobotrya Japonica Leaf Extract: It’s standardized, which is cool, but this plant is traditionally used to treat cough and flu symptoms… Sparse research vaguely supports its relevance in building muscle.
Thermogenic & Fat Metabolizer, 930 mg
L-Carnitine Tartrate’s high priority in this blend is justified: It helps burn fat, speed recovery, and reduce muscle soreness.
The Green Tea & Caffeine duo is an effective, popular fat burning combo that increases energy and thermogenesis. They are our #1 and #2-ranked fat burner ingredients… good job, Arnold.
Panax Ginseng, Thermodiamine™, and Inositol theoretically help burn fat—however, most research only studied their effects on diabetes/obesity, rats, and women, respectively.
N-Acetyl-L Tyrosine & Vinpocetine (our #4 Best Nootropic) are fantastic nootropics… and that’s about it. Tyrosine may indirectly promote fat loss, but vinpocetine will not… still, we give mad props to the formulators for using the N-Acetyl form of Tyrosine (a.k.a. NALT) — it’s the superior form for brain-boosting activity.
Estrogen & Cortisol Metabolizer, 144 mg
In regards to checking estrogen levels, Grape Seed Extract & Diindolylmethane (DIM) stand out for their inhibition of aromatase—an enzyme that converts T to estrogen. There are better anti-estrogen compounds out there, but the strategy is on-point regardless.
The rest of the blend primarily deals with reducing cortisol levels—or, more accurately, with reducing the effects of cortisol. This is particularly important for gym rats, whose cortisol levels will spike during intense training, making it harder to shed stubborn pounds.
In theory, addressing both estrogen and cortisol is a great idea for a fat-burner stack. However, we need to note that the dosage here (144 mg) seems too low for these ingredients to participate much in the overall formula.
Arnold Iron Cuts claims to take a 3-in-1 Fat Metabolizing approach to cutting, which is manifested in the 3 BLENDS:
- Muscle Building Maximizer. Muscle burns energy ∴ More muscle burns more energy. Ingredients mainly take the T-boosting angle on muscle building.
- Thermogenic & Fat Metabolizer. Aims to burn fat by spiking internal thermogenesis. However, its 2nd place priority in this formula confuses us. Plus, a few ingredient choices could be terminated to make room for better fat burners.
- Estrogen & Cortisol Metabolizer. This further supports the T-boosting in the Muscle Building Maximizer blend—and a welcome sight considering DAA is our #1-ranked Best T-Booster. Cortisol reduces metabolism, so it makes sense to attack it.
Clearly, Iron Cuts takes the build-weight-to-lose-weight approach, which seems very “Arnie” to us. It’s a good idea, especially for the Schwarzenegger bodybuilding types—however, as a fat burner, the execution is a little wonky.
L-Carnitine Tartrate, Green Tea, and Caffeine are the primary fat burners the formula goes with, and while they’re popular weight loss ingredients (that work), there are better fat burning combos on the market.
The added nootropics are top-notch and can arguably lead to fat loss via biochemical motivation… but their low dosage is questionable. Additionally, Iron Cuts’ website offers no explanation for their role in the formula.
All-in-all, Iron Cuts has nice parts, and a solid fat-burning strategy… but the formula itself seems a bit scattered, and may be spread too thin to deliver optimal cutting activity.
Arnold Iron Cuts Benefits
Does this mean Iron Cuts is a bad supplement? Absolutely not.
It’s still likely to burn fat, both directly and indirectly, in addition to building muscle. And while the mismatched synergy puts it on the map of “Missed Opportunities,” Iron Cuts does, for the most part, what Arnold says it does:
- Supports optimal hormone levels. T:Estrogen ratio balancing is key in building muscle.
- Mid-range nootropic fat burning. Not entirely advertised by Arnold, yet the primary fat burners also offer mind-stimulating energy.
Used with healthy dieting & exercise, Iron Cuts can help you cut down to your hard T-800 core, baby.
Who Takes It?
Men. The Supplement Facts table indicates this by emphasizing “Males” in its Directions, removing the fairer sex entirely out of the equation. Most women lose weight to lose weight, while men gain weight to lose weight. For all that, Arnold Iron Cuts uses its muscle building design to create very male-oriented “weight loss” pill.
Any Side Effects?
NOT LIKELY… at least for healthy men aged 21 or older. While the hormone altering ingredients aren’t hardcore, Iron Cuts seems formulated for the hyper-masculine bodybuilding demographic—which means that women and underage men should take it at their own risk… however small that might be. And, of course, to the caffeine-sensitive users: Beware the caffeine.
Arnold Iron Cuts Summary
- Muscle Building T-Boosts. Solid male hormone promoting ingredients.
- Mid-Range Fat Burning. Not the best, but there all the same.
- Increased Mind-Energy. Caffeinated energy with green tea focus.
- Tailored for Bodybuilding Men. Provides specific benefits to a specific niche.
- Dosage-Masking Prop Blends. Dammit Arnold, what’s the damn dosages?
- Confusing Ingredients. Inferior forms & choices detract from formula.
Pricing & Buying Info
- 21 Capsules (7 Servings): $9.99 ($0.48/Count)
- 90 Capsules (30 Servings): $14.50 ($0.16/Count)
- 90 Capsules X 2 (60 Servings): $37.99 ($0.21/Count)
- 90 Capsules X 3 (90 Servings): $63.99 ($0.24/Count)
- 360 Capsules (120 Servings): $77.70 ($0.22/Count)
- Available online and in retail stores
Final Word on Arnold Iron Cuts
Arnold Iron Cuts seems mild as a fat burner. The good news is, it is surprisingly potent as a T-booster, and decent as a muscle-builder too. There are better flat-out fat burners on the market than Arnold’s… however, if gaining mass fits your definition of “losing weight,” then Iron Cuts is right up your alley.