We don’t know what “GET ENERGIZED TO BURN FAT” means but that’s exactly what Beast Sports Nutrition said when it came out with 2 SHREDDED.
The more we train, the more swole we get bro and 2 SHREDDED thinks the way we do.
One look at the ingredients and you’ll then think of 2 SHREDDED as part PWO, part Nootropic, and part fat burner but will this trinity work together to melt the fat off your hide? Let’s go and find out!
About 2 SHREDDED
2 Shredded claims itself to help the body get lean in five different ways: Burning fat, Appetite control, reduce water retention, thyroid support, and boost energy. It also contains carbs and protein which makes it a unique addition for a fat burner as those two are mostly seen in postworkout supplements. Formula notes:
- Powder: Fat burners usually come in capsule form so this is a bit odd but not exactly a bad thing.
- Other Ingredients: Powders taste awful so they need to mask it with flavors and whatever ingredients to make it look and taste nice.
- Carbs. 2 SHREDDED gives off a postworkout vibe with almost 2/3 of the serving composed of carbs.
2 SHREDDED Supplement Facts
|Serving Size: 1 Scoop (6.45 g)|
Servings Per Container: 45
|Ingredients||Amount Per Serving|
|Total Carbohydrates||4 g|
|Iodine (from Potassium Iodide)||57 mcg|
|Chromium (as Chromium Polynicotinate)||150 mcg|
|2 Shredded™ Thermogenic Blend||1,759mg|
|CarnoSyn® Beta-Alanine, White Willow Bark Extract, Coffea Arabica (Bean), Green Tea Powder (leaf), Evodia Rutaecarpa, Norsynephrine Hcl, Naringin Extract, Clary Sage Extract (Leaf), cAMP (Cyclic Adenosine 3-5 Monophosphate).|
|Neurostimulating Co-factor for Focus and Intensity||530mg|
|Choline Bitartrate, Ginkgo Biloba Extract (leaf), Vinpocetine, Huperzine A (from Toothed Clubmoss Plant Extract).|
|Horsetail Herb Powder, Dandelion Root Extract.|
|Vanadium (as Vanadium Citrate)||99mcg|
Glucose Polymers, Citric Acid, Malic Acid, Acesulfame Potassium, Natural And Artificial Flavors, Sucralose, Vanillin, Magnesium Stearate, FD&C Yellow No. 5, FD&C Red No. 40
|Directions for use: As a dietary supplement, take 1 scoop with 6-8 oz of water with meals twice daily. Do not exceed 2 scoops in a 24-hour time period.|
So much energizing, not so much fat burning.
The thing with 2 SHREDDING is it sells itself as a fat burner when the fat burners aren’t really given much weight on the formula. Not to mention the fat burners got mixed with a known dosage-hog. Let’s break down the ingredients in this formula:
2 Shredded™ Thermogenic Blend, 1759 mg
- Beta-Alanine: We have two differing opinions here. First, we’re glad to see Beta-Alanine in the formula specially in the form of CarnoSyn®, a premium among premium brands. It’s effective when it comes to being a performance enhancer while lengthening time to exhaustion. Definitely a hardcore muscle builder’s choice. As for the second opinion, we’re not quite sure if adding it together with the fat burners was a good idea. Not because it doesn’t belong here but the blend itself is jam-packed with less than 2 g to spare and beta-alanine requires a lot more than that to work. Can we say it’s underdosed? Yes. Can we also say it’s ineffective? Not quite. If we assume it has at least 1 g it might just make your muscles twitch.
- White Willow Bark Extract. It has an active compound called Salicin which is known to protect against adrenaline-killing enzymes and promoting ephedrine production, necessary to activate norepinephrine, a fat-burning hormone. It also doubles as a muscle recovery ingredient a la aspirin which is useful if you’re lifting yourself to failure. Dosage recommendations usually start at 100 mg but can get as high as 250 mg.
- Coffea Arabica: This is one weird source of caffeine, our #2 Best Fat Burner. It comes in the plainest bean form so 2 SHREDDED might taste a bit like coffee once you mix it in. Each Arabica bean is known to contain around 5 mg of caffeine but it still doesn’t tell us how much caffeine we have here.
- Green tea. Green tea is our favorite fat burner but we don’t see it working as much as it’s supposed to in this formula. It’s not standardized and we’re sure the dosage is ineffective.
- Evodia. Evodia is like Cayenne but won’t end up burning a hole through your stomach. Likewise, the fat burning is weaker too.
- Norsynephrine. Also known as Octopamine, a metabolite of synephrine (Brospeak: what happens to synephrine once it enters the body). It prevents fat build up and promotes lipolysis. One rat study highlighted a 19% weight decrease in just three weeks of treatment. It’s a pretty hot fat burner so it saddens us to see it banned by WADA. Yeah, life isn’t always rainbows and max reps bro. Better take this when you’re not competing.
- Naringin. Naringin comes from grapefruit and supposedly boosts your metabolism but evidence on this is a bit weak. It should be useful if you have hyperglycemia but as a fat burner, it’s meh.
- Clary Sage. It’s more of an incense for stress than a fat burner. As for it being an adaptogen, the study we saw used it in aromatherapy and the only study where it’s directly injected on subjects used rats. Its secondary function, when you do ingest it, is heavily targeted for menopausal women as a way to relieve menstrual discomfort and a source of estrogen. Two functions men don’t need.
- cAMP. This is the enzyme increased by forskolin. Increasing cAMP leads to improved fat loss while also boosting the effects of other fat burners. It seems poorly dosed as working doses begin with 250 mg.
Neurostimulating Co-factor for Focus and Intensity, 530 mg
- Choline. It comes in the weakest and cheapest form of choline ever. Shame too since choline helps boost cognition and memory. In the context of a fat burner, it could be useful for focus but again, the form is lackluster.
- Ginkgo Biloba. Ginkgo is known to boost circulation to the extremities specially your dick. It also helps reduce the jitters but we’re not sure if that’s necessary based on the caffeine content we assume it has. Working doses start at 120 mg.
- Great for brain circulation, attention, and memory, Vinpocetine is our #4 Best Nootropic. It also works amazingly in tiny doses.
- Huperzine A. Popularly sourced from Chinese Club Moss, Hup-A has been shown to enhance brain chemicals and mental energy. Like vinpocetine, it also works in really, really low doses.
Diuretic Blend, 90 mg
- Horsetail and Dandelion Root. These two plants serve only one purpose and that is to make you piss away the extra water in your body.
Vanadium, 99 mcg
Vanadium is used to help improve insulin sensitivity which makes this a nutrient catered towards diabetics. 2 SHREDDED said it’s to mimic insulin and prevent carb cravings but we’re sure the dosage here is too small for that function as the smallest ones we’ve seen require at least 1 mg and 99 mcg is just 0.099 mg. Maybe for basic bodily functions, yes but for cravings? We don’t think so.
With all the research we did, we still don’t have an idea why 2 SHREDDED is called 2 SHREDDED outside of playing with the word “too.” Still, even if the reason behind the name is obscure, the formula tells us what 2 SHREDDED is all about.
The idea is to maximize gym performance so you’ll also maximize fat burning. We’ve seen this before so we know exactly what to expect and we’re convinced it can boost performance but we’re not so sure about the fat-burning part.
For one, the only available fat burners are Coffeea Arabica, Green Tea, Evodia, Norsynephrine, Naringin, and cAMP. These are all good fat burners in their own right but what bothers us is the dosing especially because they were added with beta-alanine. Beta-Alanine requires at least 2 g to function normally and we like to imagine 2 SHREDDED has at least 1 g of this premium performance enhancer. That leaves the rest of the 8 ingredients with not more than 800 mg to work with. The dosage will be spread too thin.
The only functional dosage we see here is for Norsynephrine and maybe Evodia. We’re not sure about Coffea but we know Naringin and cAMP won’t be as effective as they should be. Speaking of Coffea, we need to know the exact caffeine content in this formula for safety purposes and the label indicates no such information. How we gon’ to stack this now, bro?
The nootropic blend seems to fair well except for Choline bitartrate which is probably useless both in dosage and form. We’re not so strict with Diuretics but we do know Horsetail and Dandelion don’t need much dosage to work. Vanadium is a minor ingredient and while it works, it seems to be only good for basic functions and nothing more.
2 SHREDDED could’ve definitely done better if it increased the dosage for its fat burners by shredding some of its ingredients.
2 SHREDDED Benefits
Here’s the scoop on 2 SHREDDED: It can inhibit water retention, boost energy, and burn a decent amount of fat and by decent we mean “okay” for a typical fat burner. Nothing too extreme. Thyroid and Appetite, not so much.
Who Takes It?
We see the likes of gym rats who need an alternative to their usual fat burners but also like the idea of having some performance boosters in the mix. The big boys will likely not buy this since it’s not stack-friendly. That caffeine mystery is a blunder for sure.
Any Side Effects?
There’s caffeine so expect the usual jitters, crashes, and nausea but if the nootropics work the way they should, these should be minimal. Beta-Alanine is known to give users the tingles but at that dose? Again, minimal.
2 SHREDDED Summary
- CarnoSyn. One of the best preworkouts in the industry.
- Carbs. Extra postworkout function.
- Good for health. Helps with blood sugar a lot.
- Energy. It should help you get a rep more or two.
- Better erections. It’s like a good side-effect.
- Focus. Good nootropics for brain power.
- Fat-Burn. It’ll burn some fat.
- Prop blend. Common theme nowadays and that’s bad.
- Underdosing. Burn blend is too crowded.
- Choline. Ineffective dosage and form.
- WADA-ban. Do not compete with this powder.
- Caffeine?. Caffea Arabica is too vague, bro!
- Mild heat. Fat burning isn’t given proper emphasis.
- Flavors and Colors. Burn powders don’t look or taste like rainbows.
Pricing & Buying Info
- 1 bottle (45 servings): $26.99
- Available online and in retail stores
Final Word on 2 SHREDDED
2 SHREDDED’s formula design could’ve worked out better if it reduced ingredients or increased dosage space. Despite the flaws, it’s still going to burn fat and still going to give you an energy boost. It’s not the type old Arnie would use but it’s a close contender.