Perhaps you’ve tried the likes of Red Bull before but want a change.
We don’t blame you.
Enter 5-hour ENERGY – one of the most popular energy boosters on the market.
The manufacturer claims this supplement will benefit hard-working people.
This should be interesting, to say the least.
Buckle up and enjoy the review, folks.
About 5-Hour ENERGY
5-hour ENERGY is “a liquid energy shot that can help you feel energized and alert for hours,” per the manufacturer’s website. Formula notes:
- Insane vitamin B12 content. Equal to 8,333 percent of the daily value. Wow.
- High vitamin B6 levels. Equal to 2,000 percent of the daily value.
- Great taste. Many customers swear by it.
5-Hour ENERGY Review Supplement Facts (Berry [Regular Strength], 1.93 fl. oz.)
|Serving Size: 1.93 fl. oz.|
|Nutrient||Amount Per Serving||% Daily Value|
|Niacin (as Niacinamide)||30 mg||150%|
|Vitamin B6 (as Pyridoxine Hydrochloride)||40 mg||2,000%|
|Folic Acid||400 mcg||100%|
|Vitamin B12 (as Cyanocobalamin)||500 mcg||8,333%|
|Energy Blend||1,870 mg||‡|
|Taurine, Glucuronic acid (as or from glucuronolactone), Malic Acid, N- Acetyl L-Tyrosine, L-Phenylalanine, Caffeine (200 mg), Citicoline|
|‡ Daily value not established.|
|Other Ingredients: Purified Water; Natural and Artificial Flavors; Sucralose; Potassium Sorbate; Sodium Benzoate and EDTA (to protect freshness).|
|Recommended Use: Take one half (1/2) bottle for moderate energy. Take one whole bottle for maximum energy. Do not exceed two bottles of 5-hour ENERGY® shots daily, consumed several hours apart. Use or discard any remainder within 72 hours (three days) after opening. Refrigeration not required.|
Made For Hard-Working People
We presume you’re a hard-working person – you study or work hard. You also crank out rep after rep at the gym.
Hey, that’s what the bodybuilding lifestyle is all about.
Unfortunately, it can also wear you out.
Sure, exercising regularly, eating right, supplementing smart, and getting enough sleep will help.
However, there are days when you hit the wall.
We know the dreaded feeling.
Good thing there are many powerful energy boosters on the market.
One of them is 5-hour ENERGY.
This is one of the most popular energy boosters out there. Make no mistake about it.
“5-hour ENERGY is a liquid energy shot that can help you feel energized and alert for hours,” per the manufacturer’s website.
The company says, “It’s quick, simple, and made to help hard-working people.”
“The key ingredients in 5-hour ENERGY are also available in everyday foods – like broccoli, avocados, bananas, and apples – or already in you,” per the same source.
“It contains zero sugar, four calories, and as much caffeine as a cup of the leading premium coffee,” per 5-hour ENERGY’s website.
We like the adjectives the manufacturer uses – quick and simple.
These fit the lifestyle of busy and energy-deprived people perfectly.
We also love the fact key energy-boosting fruit and vegetable nutrients are found in 5-hour ENERGY.
Zero sugar? Awesome.
Four calories per serving? Fantastic.
Two hundred milligrams of caffeine per serving? So-so.
Look, most doctors will tell you one cup of coffee won’t produce any adverse side effects (spike-crash, jitters, palpitations, sleeplessness, etc.).
We agree wholeheartedly.
Besides, caffeine also has a plethora of health benefits:
- Ramps up energy levels
- Boosts fat loss
- Increases athletic performance
- Regulates blood sugar levels
- Wards off nasty free radicals
- Increases lifespan
However, some people tend to go beyond their caffeine threshold – thus, the side effects come up.
With that, it’s always best to buy an energy booster which resorts to more natural pathways (think AOR Mito-Charger).
We’re not downplaying 5-hour ENERGY.
In fact, the moment we laid eyes on it, we got the feeling it will blow you away.
The insane amounts of energy-boosting ingredients are a dead giveaway, folks.
Okay, 30 milligrams of niacin (as niacinamide) per serving isn’t exactly insane, but it will go a long way.
Simply known as vitamin B3, this component helps convert nutrients into energy, promote proper nerve function, boost cardiovascular health, and improve joint mobility.
We’re positive you will reap all of these benefits with a solid 150 percent of the daily value for niacin.
On the flip side, high doses of niacin may cause a burning or tingling feeling in the face and chest regions (also known as “niacin flush”).
The manufacturer says you shouldn’t worry about this at all:
Things become more interesting from here on out.
How about a whopping 2,000 percent of the daily value for vitamin B6 (as pyridoxine hydrochloride, 40 milligrams per serving) to shake things up a bit?
That’s a lot, folks.
In fact, 5-hour ENERGY’s vitamin B6 levels trump those of multivitamins such as VPX MEDIVIN (1,250 percent of the daily value).
That’s making a resounding statement.
Check out what vitamin B6 can do for your body:
- Boosts heart and kidney function
- Regulates the nervous and immune systems
- Helps maintain healthy hormone levels in the body
- Enhances cognitive function
Two thousand percent of the daily value for pyridoxine hydrochloride is a sure bet. Count on it.
Next up is a more modest 100 percent of the daily value for folic acid (400 micrograms per serving).
Simply known as vitamin B9, this ingredient helps keep cholesterol levels in check, shore up heart health, increase muscle growth, keep free radicals at bay, and repair skin cells.
You will enjoy all of these benefits when you supplement with 5-hour ENERGY.
This product’s main ingredient is 500 micrograms of vitamin B12 (as cyanocobalamin) per serving.
Brace yourself for an insane 8,333 percent of the daily value.
We told you 5-hour energy packs a serious wallop. We’re not even done sizing up all of the ingredients.
Vitamin B12 is a classic B vitamin which helps ramp up energy levels and boost heart health.
Cyanocobalamin also helps keep free radicals at bay and regulate the nervous system.
Listen, 5-hour ENERGY’s vitamin B12 levels aren’t as much as NOW B-12 10,000 mcg Energy Boost (which has an astronomical 10,000 micrograms per serving for 166,667 percent of the daily value), but they will jack you up, for sure.
Just when you thought 5-hour ENERGY’s B vitamin arsenal was enough, there’s more.
Presenting its Energy Blend, which takes up 1,870 milligrams per serving.
Aside from caffeine, it contains other components which should help perk you up.
One is taurine, a versatile amino acid.
How versatile? Take a look at these, folks:
- Helps quell anxiety
- Incinerates fat
- Improves insulin sensitivity
- Ramps up testosterone levels
- Increases athletic performance
- Shortens recovery time
- Boosts heart and brain health
- Improves sleep quality
One of 5-hour ENERGY’s rare energy booster ingredients is glucuronic acid.
This is a by-product of glucuronolactone, a natural substance found in connective tissue.
Experts believe glucuronic acid helps ramp up energy levels and boost mental alertness.
It also helps shorten recovery time, increase exercise performance, detoxify the liver, ward off free radicals, and shore up cardiovascular function.
So far, we found no red flags for glucuronic acid. No wonder it’s a popular inclusion in many energy boosters.
5-hour ENERGY also has malic acid.
This ingredient, a substance derived from apples, helps convert macronutrients (carbs, protein, and fats) into energy.
Plus, malic acid helps boost skin health.
Next up is n-acetyl l-tyrosine, a nootropic which helps ramp up energy levels, increase focus, boost memory, and enhance mood.
Pair that up with another popular nootropic, l-phenylalanine, good things happen.
This essential amino acid is a precursor of dopamine, a neurotransmitter associated with energy, mood, and pleasure.
L-phenylalanine also helps increase energy levels and quell anxiety.
5-hour ENERGY’s last key ingredient is citicoline, another nootropic which helps boost memory, improve brain function, and ramp up energy levels.
We are impressed with this supplement’s Energy Blend – it harnesses the powers of several energy-boosting ingredients and nootropics for maximum results.
The downside: this blend is proprietary in nature.
If you pay close attention, the manufacturer divulges the amount of just one ingredient – caffeine (200 milligrams per serving).
That means we don’t know where the company distributed the other 1,670 milligrams of the Energy Blend.
Despite its chinks (caffeine content, proprietary blend, fillers), 5-hour ENERGY is dynamite stuffed into a small container.
Believe it, folks.
Let’s check out the formula ingredients:
- Niacin (as niacinamide), 30 mg: Also known as vitamin B3, this component helps convert nutrients into energy and improve heart health.
- Vitamin B6 (as pyridoxine hydrochloride), 40 mg: This B vitamin helps improve heart and kidney function, regulate the nervous and immune systems, and boost brain health. A whopping 2,000 percent of the daily value is a sure thing.
- Folic acid, 400 mcg: Simply known as vitamin B9, this ingredient helps regulate cholesterol levels, and boost cardiovascular health and muscle growth.
- Vitamin B12, 500 mcg: Meet 5-hour ENERGY’s most abundant ingredient at an insane 8,333 percent of the daily value. This is a classic B vitamin which helps increase energy levels and improve heart health.
- Sodium, 18 mg: 5-hour ENERGY is not a significant source of sodium at less than one percent of the daily value (a maximum value of five percent is low). In fact, individuals who are monitoring their sodium intake may take it.
Energy Blend, 1,870 mg
- Taurine: A versatile amino acid which helps lower anxiety levels, torch fat, increase testosterone levels, ramp up athletic performance, shorten recovery time, and improve sleep quality.
- Glucuronic acid (as or from glucuronolactone): A natural substance found in connective tissue which helps increase energy levels, boost mental alertness, increase exercise performance, keep free radicals at bay, and boost heart health.
- Malic acid: A natural substance found in apples which helps convert macronutrients (carbs, protein, and fats) into energy and boost skin health.
- N-acetyl l-tyrosine: A nootropic which helps boost energy levels, increase focus, and improve memory.
- L-phenylalanine: An essential amino acid which helps ramp up energy levels and quell anxiety. L-phenylalanine is also a precursor of dopamine, a neurotransmitter which helps increase energy levels and enhance mood.
- Caffeine (200 mg): A stimulant which helps increase energy levels, athletic performance, and fat loss. Caffeine also helps promote healthy blood sugar levels and ward off free radicals.
- Citicoline: A nootropic which helps boost energy and enhance cognitive function.
The manufacturer claims 5-hour ENERGY will benefit hard-working people (most of whom need a pick-me-up to make them more productive).
Well, believe it, folks: 5-hour ENERGY will live up to its expectations.
The ingredients speak for themselves.
In fact, the B vitamins (known for their energy-boosting and heart-health benefits) are just the proverbial tip of the iceberg.
Honestly, this product’s B vitamin arsenal is similar to those of many leading multivitamin brands (athlete multivitamins, even).
Two thousand percent of the daily value for vitamin B6 and 8,333 percent of the daily value for vitamin B12?
Get out of here.
You’ll be wired before you know it. Promise.
We certainly don’t blame you if you’re apprehensive about these astronomical B vitamin levels.
Good thing the manufacturer puts your doubts to rest on its official website:
The inclusion of other energy-boosting nutrients and nootropics in the Energy Blend serves as icing on the cake.
After a thorough analysis, you can’t go wrong with the combo of taurine, glucuronic acid, malic acid, n-acetyl l-tyrosine, l-phenylalanine, and citicoline.
With these, expect increased energy levels, mental alertness, and productivity.
Don’t be shocked if we left out caffeine from that mix.
Like we said, it has a heap of health benefits. However, it also has undeniable side effects (spike-crash effect, jitters, palpitations, and sleeplessness).
5-hour ENERGY also has two other glaring chinks: transparency and fillers.
We already pointed out its Energy Blend is proprietary in nature – the company doesn’t break down the individual ingredient amounts (except caffeine).
This supplement also has two fillers: sodium benzoate and sucralose (a.k.a. Splenda).
According to the 2012 OSHA Hazard Communication Standard (via West Liberty University’s official website), the former substance is “hazardous.”
As for sucralose, it’s an artificial sweetener with several side effects.
Despite its shortcomings, 5-hour ENERGY is a sure bet to fire you up on your busiest days.
5-Hour ENERGY Benefits
5-hour ENERGY has the following benefits, per its official website:
- Simple and effective
- No sugar
- Has just four calories per serving
- Impressive B vitamin and amino acid profile
- Caffeine content equal to “a cup of the leading premium coffee”
We agree with all of these claims. 5-hour ENERGY is one powerful energy booster which will give you that much-needed jolt and then some.
Who Takes It?
The manufacturer intended 5- hour ENERGY for “hard-working people,” per its official website.
More specifically, the company intended this supplement for healthy individuals who want to increase energy levels and productivity, enhance cognitive function, achieve their daily fitness goals, and improve their overall quality of life.
Any Side Effects?
5-hour ENERGY contains 200 milligrams of caffeine, “comparable to a cup of the leading premium coffee,” per its official website.
Caffeine may cause a spike-crash effect, jitters, palpitations, and sleeplessness in some individuals.
This product also contains 150 percent of the daily value for vitamin B3 (niacin), which may cause “niacin flush” (a flushing sensation) in some people.
Finally, 5-hour ENERGY has sodium benzoate and sucralose, two ingredients with certain side effects.
If these, or any other ingredient, make you feel doubtful, please consult your physician before buying 5-hour ENERGY.
The manufacturer also issues a warning:
5-Hour ENERGY Review Summary
- Impressive energy-boosting ingredients. Prepare to feel wired all day long, folks.
- Insane vitamin B12 content. Whopping 8,333 percent of the daily value.
- High vitamin B6 levels. Incredible 2,000 percent of the daily value.
- Energy Blend. Combines energy-boosting ingredients and nootropics for great results.
- Stellar reputation. Many customers swear by it.
- Great taste. Many customers can’t get enough.
- Caffeine content. May cause a spike-crash effect, jitters, palpitations, and sleeplessness.
- Proprietary blend. Manufacturer fails to divulge most of the Energy Blend’s ingredients. Boo.
- Fillers. Sodium benzoate and sucralose. Thumbs down.
Pricing & Where to Buy
- 1 12- Serving Box (12-Day Supply): $22.80
- Available online and in retail
Final Word on 5-Hour ENERGY
Like we said, 5-hour ENERGY will live up to expectations.
Impressive B vitamin, energy-boosting ingredients, and nootropics should help hard-working individuals reach their peak potential.
No doubt about it.
It’s not a perfect product, but it should deliver the goods.
We recommend you buy 5-hour ENERGY and give the likes of Red Bull a run for its money.