By analyzing Vega Sport® Performance Protein, we are about to find out.
This product has taken the supplement world by storm. In fact, some big-name websites have given it a high grade for its potential in helping consumers pack on lean muscle mass. It’s a pretty unique product, to say the least. You won’t find traditional ingredients such as whey protein here – just unique, all-natural ingredients.
About Vega Sport® Performance Protein
According to the manufacturer, Vega Sport® Performance Protein can help you “level up your protein for next-level performance.” More specifically, the product is geared toward muscle building, muscle repair, and post-workout recovery. Formula notes:
- Thirty grams of protein. From natural, plant-based ingredients.
- Has turmeric. To help reduce inflammation after a hard workout.
- Contains stevia. Natural and zero-calorie plant-based sweetener.
Vega Sport® Performance Protein Supplement Facts (19 servings, chocolate)
Serving Size: 1 Scoop (44 g)
Servings Per Container: Approx. 19
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value*
|Calories From Fat||30|
|Total Fat||3 g 5%|
|Saturated Fat||.5 g 3%|
|Trans Fat||0 g|
|Cholesterol||0 mg 0%|
|Sodium||370 mg 15%|
|Total Carbohydrate||6 g 2%|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g 12%|
|Protein||30 g 56%|
Ingredients: Pea Protein, Cocoa Powder, Organic Pumpkin Seed Protein, Organic Sunflower Seed Protein, Alfalfa Protein, Tart Cherry, Probiotics (Bacillus Coagulans [Provides 1 Billion CFU/Serving]), Bromelain, Turmeric Extract, Black Pepper Extract, Contains less than 2% of: Beetroot Powder (for color), Sea Salt, Natural Chocolate Flavor, Natural Vanilla Flavor, Natural Caramel Flavor, Stevia Extract, Xanthan Gum
Directions For Sport Performance Protein: Shake or mix one level scoop of Vega Sport Performance Protein in ice-cold water or non-dairy beverage and enjoy 45 to 90 minutes after your workout.
Plant-Based Protein for Your Muscles: Why Not?
There’s no denying it: Whey protein is the king of protein. Scour all of the shelves in your local supplement store. A good 80 to 90 percent of the protein products contain whey. Consumers have long trusted it because it’s a complete protein, has plenty of BCAAs, and can replenish worn-out muscles fast.
Let’s also not forget whey protein can help boost the immune system, lower blood pressure, and raise glutathione (a potent antioxidant) levels.
Honestly, we don’t see a plant-based protein powder trumping the likes of Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey™ soon. But with a product such as Vega Sport® Performance Protein making lots of noise, that could change.
First of all, this product contains a whopping 30 grams of protein per serving. Neither Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey™ (24 grams per scoop) nor MusclePharm Combat® 100% Whey Protein Powder (25 grams per scoop) can keep up.
How’s that for making a resounding statement, folks?
It’s one thing to have lots of protein to help feed your muscles. A savvy consumer must also know about the protein quality in a supplement. Are plant-based protein sources really that good? Yes, they seem to be.
Let’s start with pea protein. Just like whey, it contains branched-chain amino acids (BCAAs) such as leucine, isoleucine, and valine which help aid protein synthesis. That’s just the tip of the iceberg. Check out its other benefits:
- Helps individuals lose weight
- Helps lower blood pressure
- May lower risk of kidney issues
- Helps regulate blood sugar levels
- Is low in calories
- Has six grams of fiber per serving
Vega Sport® Performance Protein also features a second plant-based protein: Pumpkin seed protein powder. Many health experts tout it as a superfood and with good reason: It has 18 essential amino acids and has heaps of minerals including phosphorus, magnesium, manganese, zinc, copper, and iron.
As if these weren’t enough, pumpkin seed protein also has antioxidants to help ward off free radicals. Plus, it also contains omega-6 and omega-9 fatty acids which help boost cardiovascular health. Clearly, you get your protein fix and cardiovascular protection from pumpkin seed. What an incredible bargain, folks.
A third plant-based protein found in Vega Sport® Performance Protein is organic sunflower seed protein, which has 21 grams of protein for every 100-gram serving. It can also help:
- Boost cardiovascular health
- Promote healthy cholesterol levels
- Improve mood
- Promote thyroid health
- Ward off cancer
Finally, Vega Sport® Performance Protein has alfalfa protein, which is derived from the alfalfa plant. A 100-gram serving of dehydrated alfalfa pellets yields roughly 18.9 grams of protein. It is rich in vitamins and minerals. Alfalfa protein can also help lower cholesterol.
After breaking down each protein component, we conclude Vega Sport® Performance Protein is not only a great source of protein, it also is a potent supplement for cardiovascular health (although customers with heart issues must be wary of its sodium content).
Let’s check out the formula ingredients.
- Total fat, 3 g: Vega Sport® Performance Protein is a low-fat protein supplement (although others such as Dymatize ISO100® have lower fat content). With its natural ingredients and cardiovascular benefits, it’s not the type of product which will make consumers think of it as a potential detriment to good health.
- Cholesterol, 0 mg: Individuals who want to maintain good cholesterol levels will love Vega Sport® Performance Protein. Zero cholesterol, folks.
- Sodium, 370 mg: The first chink in this product’s armor. The sodium content may be a bit too high for some consumers. The good news is Vega Sport® Peformance Protein has sea salt, which teems with minerals that help balance electrolyte levels in the body. Nonetheless, people with heart issues and high blood pressure should consult their doctor first.
- Total carbohydrate, 6 g: We like the fact Vega Sport® Performance Protein comes with three grams of fiber per serving. You can credit that to the plant-based protein content. The manufacturers used stevia, a natural sweetener which can help regular blood pressure and blood sugar levels. That’s always a major plus.
Most fitness enthusiasts may be skeptical about the potential of plant-based protein. Vega™ Sports Performance Protein should put those doubts to rest.
Who ever said you can just get quality protein from whey and milk products? You can get it from eggs, soy, and other reliable sources. Not only do the plant-based protein components of Vega Sport® Performance Protein yield an impressive 30 grams of protein per scoop, they are also considered by fitness experts as a complete form of protein.
They also have cardiovascular benefits, like we already pointed out. Plus, the product features six grams of glutamine and six grams of BCAAs per scoop. What’s not to love here?
Furthermore, this product is low in fats and has zero cholesterol. Like we said, we like the fact the manufacturer sweetened Vega Sport® Performance Protein with stevia. Products like this are hard to come by in this day and age.
Most protein supplements feature acesulfame potassium and sucralose. Although the Food and Drug Administration approved both of them, stevia is still the king of sweeteners because it is natural and plant-based.
Another major plus of Vega Sport® Performance Protein is the probiotics and bromelain component. The latter is an enzyme which helps digest protein. You always – always – want a product which has these digestive enzymes to help you absorb the nutrient’s more efficiently.
On a different note, we are impressed with the addition of turmeric extract. Turmeric is an herb which is a member of the ginger family. It is known for its anti-inflammatory properties which, in turn, help ward off cancer, arthritis, high cholesterol, and the like. Impressive, to say the least.
Kudos to the manufacturer for being transparent. Vega Sport® Performance Protein is all-natural and has absolutely no fillers and proprietary blends – two things you should steer clear of (for a comprehensive guide on how to purchase supplements, check this out).
Vega Sport® Performance Protein Benefits
According to the manufacturer, Vega Sport® Performance Protein can help customers “reduce recovery time, and build and repair muscles, and recover post-workout.”
The product’s official website says the natural, plant-based protein components plus performance ingredients such as tart cherry, turmeric, and probiotics are all “designed to reduce recovery time.”
The company also says its product “has an equivalent amino acid profile to whey.” The company also says their protein is “more sustainable than whey protein” because fewer resources are needed to produce the plant-based variety.
The plant-based protein this product has can help you achieve your muscle-building goals and boost your recovery. We say this because the protein comes from whole-food and alkaline-forming sources. Plus, Vega Sport® Performance Protein’s turmeric component ought to help reduce inflammation as a result of vigorous exercise. Good stuff, folks.
Who Takes It?
Vega Sport® Performance Protein is meant for athletes and active individuals who are looking to build muscle and boost recovery from a plant-based protein source.
Any Side Effects?
Because Vega Sport® Performance Protein has a higher-than-average sodium content per serving, we advise people who have cardiovascular concerns to consult with their physician before consuming.
The manufacturer also cautions those who are allergic to certain ingredients and are taking medication:
Vega Sport® Performance Protein Summary
- Thirty grams or protein per serving. From plant-based sources.
- Complete protein. Can rival whey in this regard.
- Added glutamine and BCAAs. For post-workout recovery.
- Cardiovascular benefits. Each protein component can help boost heart health.
- Digestive enzymes. For better absorption of nutrients.
- Anti-inflammatory. Turmeric can help boost the recovery process.
- Natural ingredients. Zero fillers and proprietary blends.
- Reasonably cheap. $43.99 for 19 packets.
- High sodium content. Has 375 grams per serving.
Pricing & Buying Info
- 12 Packets (12-Day Supply): $28.99
- 19 Packets (19-Day Supply): $43.99
- Available online and in retail
Final Word on Vega Sport® Performance Protein
You’ve seen it for yourselves, folks. The pros of Vega Sport® Performance Protein far, far outweigh the cons. You not only get 30 grams of complete protein per scoop, you also get added benefits (cardiovascular, anti-inflammatory, probiotics) to boot. The only possible downside is its sodium content (check with your doctor if this concerns you).
As for our earlier question, yes, this product can help you build muscle and boost recovery.
This protein is one of a kind. If you’re looking for a great and healthy alternative to the traditional whey protein, this is it.