You’re a hard-nosed fitness enthusiast who’s craving for variety. One day, you stumble upon GNC’s Reaction Nutrition Pro Action Whey Protein at the mall, and you’re blown away by the impressive packaging.
All of a sudden, you’re thinking about giving it a shot, and tell yourself, “Why not?”
Reaction Nutrition Pro Action Whey Protein is an up-and-coming player in the bodybuilding supplement industry, and it’s worth a review.
GNC certainly doesn’t want to be left in Optimum Nutrition and MusclePharm’s dust, so this is a last-ditch effort to try and turn some heads.
Will GNC be successful? We’re just as curious as everybody else.
About Reaction Nutrition Pro Action Whey Protein
Presenting GNC’s Reaction Nutrition Pro Action Whey Protein. The manufacturer says this product “is the unrivaled protein supplement for athletes that are focused on changing their bodies.” Formula notes:
- Low-calorie muscle builder. Has 22 grams of protein and just 118 calories per serve.
- Presence of fillers.The many components in “Other Ingredients” could be a giveaway.
- Comes in five flavors. Try Milk Chocolate, Chocolate-Covered Strawberry, Orange Creamsicle, Strawberry, and Vanilla Bean.
Reaction Nutrition Pro Action Whey Protein Supplement Facts
Serving Size: 1 Scoop
Amount Per Serving
|Calories from Fat||7.00|
|Saturated Fat||0.00 g 0%|
|Trans Fat||0.00 g|
|Cholesterol||35.00 mg 12%|
|Total Carbohydrate||4.00 g 1%|
|Total Fat less than||1.00 g|
|Sodium||97.00 mg 4%|
|Potassium||218.00 mg 6%|
|Protein <1g||22.00 g 44%|
Other Ingredients: Micro Filtered Whey Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Peptides, Non-Dairy Creamer (Fructose, Sucrose, High Oleic Sunflower Oil, Di-Potassium Phosphate, Soy Lecithin, Tocopherols, Tri-Calcium Phosphate), Cocoa Powder, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Sucralose, Xanthan Gum, Lecithin, Acesulfame Potassium
Directions: As a dietary supplement, mix one scoop (28.35 g) with 6 to 10 ounces of water or the beverage of your choice. Pro Action™ provides the critical protein the body needs after an intense workout.
Become a Fat-Burning Machine with More Protein.
The manufacturer of Reaction Nutrition Pro Action Whey Protein, GNC, is confident you will torch fat and build muscle.
Its website says, “Pro Action is the unrivaled protein supplement for athletes that are focused on changing their bodies by forging more lean muscle, tearing away ugly fat and maintaining overall health.”
The company adds amping up our protein intake combined with regular exercise will help individuals slim down. In fact, Reaction Nutrition believes people can become “fat-burning machines!”
GNC is spot on when it says more protein consumption may result in more fat burning. However, we must also emphasize its thrust on combining supplementation with proper exercise.
Healthy nutrition habits also play a vital role. That being said, don’t expect to become chiseled if all you do is consume whey protein supplements and neglect the other important fitness aspects. Reaction Nutrition Pro Action Whey Protein is just one part of the equation.
One scoop of Reaction Nutrition Pro Action Pro Action Whey Protein yields 22 grams of protein – pretty decent, if you ask us. It even tops the likes of MyProtein Impact Whey Protein and MuscleTech Premium Whey Protein Plus (both contain 20 grams of protein per scoop).
However, it does not have as much as Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey and MusclePharm Combat 100% Whey (which both have 25 grams of protein per scoop). In terms of protein content, Reaction Nutrition Pro Action Pro Action Whey Protein falls right in the middle of the pack.
Let’s check out the other formula ingredients:
- Saturated Fat, 0 g: Most people believe no saturated fat equals a healthy heart. However, saturated fats actually help lower bad cholesterol. Since this product doesn’t have any saturated fat, drink your occasional red wine instead.
- Trans fat, 0 g: Now, this is one kind of fat we’d rather not consume. Steer clear of trans fats at all costs. Good job, GNC.
- Cholesterol, 35 mg: Thirty-five milligrams of cholesterol is not something the regular consumer should worry about. It won’t drastically alter the results of your next blood test. So relax.
- Total carbohydrate, 4 g: We say this is just about the right amount for a protein powder. Get your post-workout carb fix from waxy maize, dextrose, and other reliable sources.
- Total Fat, Less than 1 g: We like the fact Reaction Nutrition Pro Action Whey Protein has less than one gram of fat – too much of it may impede the absorption of nutrients after a brutal workout. Bear in mind immediate post-workout replenishment of your muscles is one of the most important factors you must consider.
- Sodium, 97 mg: Nothing over the top in terms of sodium content here (although some competitors, namely MusclePharm Combat 100% Whey, have only 65 mg of sodium per serving). All good.
- Potassium, 218 mg: We can’t help but notice Reaction Nutrition Pro Action Whey Protein’s potassium content is a little higher than most products of its kind. We always want that delicate sodium-potassium balance to regulate water levels in the body. However, too much potassium does not bode well for individuals who have kidney issues. Ask your physician first if this applies to you.
- Sugars, 2 g: Why consume a protein supplement whose sugar content will make you feel like chugging on a can of soda? We certainly won’t. Reaction Nutrition Pro Action Whey Protein gives us peace of mind in this regard.
First, we tip our hats off to GNC for being transparent in Reaction Nutrition Pro Action Whey Protein’s ingredients.
If you’re a first-time consumer, you can clearly see what you are about to put in your body right off the bat – mainly a low-calorie, low-carbohydrate protein powder which should give you good results.
The protein content is adequate. It even beats out MyProtein Impact Whey Protein – one of the highest-ranked protein powder supplements on several big-name websites. But then again, it could be more.
Like we already mentioned, the likes of MusclePharm Combat 100% Whey has the edge in terms of protein content. Let’s be realistic: the likelihood more people will switch to brands with more protein is always there. But if you’re getting good results with GNC, why fix it if it ain’t broke, right?
We also have to give props to GNC for combining whey protein concentrate and whey protein isolate as both types have high levels of BCAAs and are rapidly-absorbing: two qualities you want in your post-workout supplement to jumpstart the recovery process.
There is little to gripe about the sodium, cholesterol, and sugar content. Like we said, the potassium content may be a tad bit high for some people.
While Reaction Nutrition Pro Action Whey Protein has no proprietary blends (thank heavens), we are a bit iffy about the all of the other unfamiliar add-ons such as di-potassium phosphate and tri-calcium phosphate in the “Other Ingredients” panel.
It could very well be a sign that this product might have some fillers in it, so be cautious.
Reaction Nutrition Pro Action Whey Protein Benefits
GNC claims Reaction Nutrition Pro Action Whey Protein can help the consumer build more muscle, lose fat, and feel satiated – three things any fit individual wants. We believe he or she will benefit from the product if the commitment to eat right and exercise regularly is there.
Whey protein is not a magic formula. You have to put in the work to make it work. Makes sense? Of course, it does.
Who Takes It?
GNC has manufactured Reaction Nutrition Pro Action Whey Protein for athletes “that are focused on changing their bodies.”
By “athletes,” we believe GNC meant not just the pros, but amateurs and recreational athletes as well. If you live a fairly active lifestyle and consider yourself a fit individual (or someone who wants to achieve that goal), consider yourself one of the main beneficiaries of Reaction Nutrition Pro Action Whey Protein.
Any Side Effects?
We already mentioned the relatively high potassium content of Reaction Nutrition Pro Action Whey Protein. If you have any kidney issues, best if you consult with your doctor first. If you’re also iffy about the fillers this product may have, ask you physician about them, too.
Reaction Nutrition Pro Action Whey Protein Summary
- Transparent ingredients. Content for each ingredient is listed.
- Combination of WPI and WPC. Great for muscle building.
- No proprietary blends. Again, it comes down to transparency.
- Twenty-two grams of protein. Can be an advantage.
- Comes in several different flavors. Variety is a spice of life.
- Relatively high potassium content. Check with your doctor first.
- Fillers. A bit too many fillers for our liking.
- Expensive. A 2-lb. tub costs $44.99.
- Twenty-two grams of protein. Can also be a disadvantage.
Pricing & Buying Info
- 1 2-lb. Tub (30-Day Supply): $49.99
- Available online and in retail
Final Word on Reaction Nutrition Pro Action Whey Protein
The word is finally out on GNC’s Reaction Nutrition™ Action Whey Protein.
It certainly looks good on paper, what with a decent amount of whey protein concentrate and whey protein isolate, transparent ingredients, and no proprietary blends.
However, a few red flags prevent us from making this our go-to protein, namely its fillers and its cost – we certainly don’t want to shell out extra money for several ingredients we feel iffy about.
On that note, as promising as this product is, we’d rather spend our hard-earned dough on other time-tested brands such as Optimum Nutrition and MusclePharm.
Choosing your supplement boils down to practicality, a critical aspect Reaction Nutrition Pro Action Whey Protein comes up short on.