Maybe you’re toying with the idea of purchasing a blended protein powder – a supplement which boasts of slow-, medium-, and fast-absorbing protein. Just the thought of it makes your face light up.
After all, who couldn’t resist having your muscles fed for hours? Or staying in an anabolic state longer than you could ever imagine?
MusclePharm Combat Protein Powder could be up to the task.
This is a blended protein supplement which has been a major player the past few years. If you haven’t tried it yet, now may be the best time to do so.
Gear up for another exciting review, folks.
About MusclePharm Combat Protein Powder
According to the manufacturer, “MusclePharm scientists fortified Combat Protein Powder with a variety of protein blends that digest at varying rates, for up to eight hours. The great-tasting, easy-mixing digestive blend is fine tuned for true nutrient utilization – a step ahead in protein powder technology.” Formula notes:
- Variety of protein blends. Combination of whey, egg albumen, and micellar casein for lean muscle growth.
- Versatile. Can be taken as a post-workout supplement and a snack.
- Comes in six flavors. Chocolate Milk, Chocolate Peanut Butter, Cookies N’ Cream, Triple Berry, Banana Cream, and Vanilla.
MusclePharm Combat Protein Powder Supplement Facts (Cookies & Cream Flavor, 4 lbs.)
Serving Size: 1 Scoop Approx. (34.9 g)
Servings Per Container Approx.: 52
Amount Per Serving /%DV
|Calories From Fat||15|
|Total Fat||1.5 g 4%|
|Saturated Fat||1 g 8%|
|Trans Fat||0 g|
|Cholesterol||75 mg 27%|
|Sodium||150 mg 6%|
|Potassium||200 mg 6%|
|Carbohydrates||5 g 2%|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g 4%|
|Sugars||2 g *|
|Protein||25 g 50%|
Multi-Level Amino Acid Growth Matrix
Combat Powder™ Proprietary Time Release System
|Micro Filtered Whey Protein Blend (Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Hydrolysate), Micellar Casein, Egg White Albumen, L-Glutamine, L-Leucine, L-Valine, L-Isoleucine; Also provides Alanine, Lysine, Arginine, Glycine, Histidine, Tyrosine, Cystine, Methionine, Phenylalanine, Proline, Serine, Aspartic Acid, Theronine, Tryptophan,|
|Digestive Enzyme Blend|
Other Ingredients: Cookie Pieces (Enriched Flour, Wheat Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Sugar, High Oleic Canola And/or Soybean Oil, Cocoa, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Baking Soda And/or Calcium Phosphate, Salt, Soy Lecithin, Chocolate, Vanillin), Natural and Artificial Flavors, Inulin, Sodium Chloride, Acesulfame Potassium, Sucralose, Soy Lecithin, Potassium Citrate
Directions For Combat Powder: As a dietary supplement, mix 1 to 2 scoops of COMBAT POWDER® with 8-12 fl oz of cold water. Vary the amount of water to achieve your desired consistency and taste. Consume 2-3 times a day for optimal muscle growth.
Remain in an Anabolic State All Day Long
If you’re a person who wants his or her muscles in an anabolic state all day long, MusclePharm Combat Protein Powder is the perfect choice for you.
Why do we say this? Simply put, this product’s combination of slow-release (micellar casein), medium-release (egg white albumen), and fast-release protein (whey protein concentrate, whey protein isolate, and whey protein hydrolysate) ensure your muscles are well-fed and nourished.
You get 25 grams of protein per scoop, which tops the likes of MyProtein Impact Whey Protein – one of the best protein supplements on the market which has only 20 grams of protein per serving.
MusclePharm Combat Protein Powder boasts of three different whey protein kinds which work to your advantage. Both the concentrate and isolate forms (the latter being the purer form of whey protein at 90 percent) are rich in BCAAs, a must for post-workout replenishment.
Whey protein hydrolysate, on the other hand, absorbs the most rapidly among the three kinds. Your recovery process begins as soon as your workout ends. Chugging on a supplement with whey protein hydrolysate such as MusclePharm Combat will help amp up your recovery.
Another point we want to make: In general, whey protein hydrolysate is the most expensive among the three kinds of whey. However, at $47.96 for a four-lb. tub, MusclePharm Combat Protein Powder is a good return on your investment.
When you buy MusclePharm Combat Protein Powder, you also benefit from its egg white albumen content. Egg protein is low in carbohydrates and is lactose-free.
Finally, micellar casein is considered the best kind of casein. Unlike whey, its fast-absorbing counterpart, casein can supply your body with amino acids for up to eight hours.
Having said that, you can also take MusclePharm Combat Protein powder an hour or so before bedtime so you can feed your muscles while you’re sleeping. It’s a great alternative to consuming a casein protein supplement.
For one, you don’t need to buy separate whey and casein supplements – a more expensive option. Not only can you consume MusclePharm Combat Protein Powder as a post-workout supplement, you can also take it as a snack for more muscle growth.
Now, let’s break down the other ingredients in this formula:
- Total Fat, 1.5 g: We expect protein powder supplements to be generally low in fat, and MusclePharm Combat Portein Powder is no exception. It only has 1.5 grams of fat per serving and best of all, has no trans fat.
- Cholesterol, 80 mg: With so many ingredients, you’d think this product is laden with too much cholesterol (although not all cholesterol is harmful). The manufacturer did a credible job in keeping the cholesterol levels to a manageable degree. Although the likes of Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey (30 mg) and MyProtein Impact Whey Protein (o mg) have lower cholesterol levels, MusclePharm Combat Protein Powder’s isn’t detrimental to one’s overall fitness levels.
- Sodium, 150 mg: People tend to shy away from sodium. You need a certain amount of sodium to help your muscles recover, which is why protein powder manufacturers include this ingredient (check with your doctor first if you need to watch your sodium intake). As for MusclePharm Combat Protein Powder, it has more sodium than most products of its kind (with the exception of Nature’s Best IsoPure, which has more). According to some big-name websites, this product may even have at least 200 mg of sodium per serving.
- Potassium, 200 mg: One attractive benefit of potassium is its ability to help restore depleted glycogen stores after a brutal workout. With 200 mg of potassium per serving, MusclePharm Combat Protein Powder is up to that task.
- Total Carbohydrates, 5 g: We also expect manufacturers to keep this macronutrient to a certain limit when it comes to protein powder supplements (unless you prefer a weight gainer). Five grams of carbs per serving isn’t the lowest in the industry, but it’s nothing to crow about if you want to build lean muscle.
Combat Powder Proprietary Time Release System
- Micro Filtered Whey Protein Blend (Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Hydrolysate): An impressive combination of all three types of whey which covers all your fast-absorbing protein needs.
- Micellar Casein: If you want to keep your muscles in an anabolic state for longer period of time, supplement with casein protein. Better yet, make it micellar casein.
- Egg White Albumen: Egg supplements yield a high amount of protein (as much as 24 grams per scoop). As we already previously mentioned, they’re also lactose-free.
- L-Glutamine: This is the most abundant amino acid in the body. It helps keep cortisone – the dreaded stress hormone – in check. What’s more is it helps amp up your human growth hormone levels.
- L-Leucine, L-Valine, L-Isoleucine: These are collectively known as branch-chained amino acids or simply BCAAs. These help promote protein synthesis and muscle growth.
- Alanine: This is an amino acid which helps increase your overall work capacity.
- Lysine: An amino acids which helps in calcium absorption for better bone and muscle growth.
- Arginine: An amino acid known for its excellent ability to retain nitrogen, a key element in the protein synthesis process.
- Glycine: Can help reduce fatigue and assist in recovery.
- Histidine: One of its main benefits is improving digestion.
- Tyrosine: Some studies have suggested this amino acid can help reduce fatigue.
- Cysteine: This amino acid helps produce glutathione, another amino acid which helps ward off free radicals in the body.
- Methionine: Plays a key role in many cellular functions.
- Phenylalanine: Helps stimulate thyroid activity.
- Proline: Helps strengthen the body’s structural components.
- Serine: An amino acid which helps reduce cortisol levels, boost recovery, and improve immune system function.
- Aspartic Acid: An essential amino acid which may help increase testosterone levels and build muscle mass.
- Threonine: Helps maintain proper protein balance in the body.
- Tryptophan: An amino acid that may help improve mood and reduce anxiety.
As a protein supplement, MusclePharm Combat Protein Powder has all the bases covered.
You get an impressive 25 grams of protein which help feed your muscles over the long haul. We like the fact MusclePharm included WPI, WPC and whey protein hydrolysate in its formula.
If you can’t make up your mind on which protein to take, you get the best of everything here. Throw in some egg albumen and micellar casein, your muscles will thank you to no end. Pretty impressive.
We’re not going to gripe about the fat and carbohydrate components of MusclePharm Combat Protein Powder. That’s because they’re within reasonable levels. Even the cholesterol level and sugar levels are fine.
Again, we’re a bit wary about the sodium content. It bears repeating: Sodium is essential for recovery and for the prevention of muscle cramps. However, if you’re monitoring your sodium intake, consult your physician first before purchasing.
The one red flag of MusclePharm Combat Protein Powder is its proprietary blend, particularly its Combat Powder™ Proprietary Time Release System. The manufacturer throws in a heap of ingredients (although most of them are amino acids) without divulging how much of each went into the product.
As a consumer, you have to be wary of these things. You need to know what you’re putting into your body.
Another red flag you should watch out for is the number of flavors listed under “Other Ingredients,” which are a tad bit too many for our liking. As reputable a company MusclePharm is, it may have gone overboard in this regard.
MusclePharm Combat Protein Powder Benefits
This supplement can help consumers achieve their muscle-building goals because of its versatile protein formula. Furthermore, each scoop only has 140 calories. With this, MusclePharm Combat Protein can help individuals build lean muscle mass.
The manufacturer suggests users consume MusclePharm Combat Protein Powder two to three times daily for optimum results. It can be used as a snack or in-between for busy individuals. The product makes it convenient for people to meet not only their daily protein requirements, but their overall nutritional goals as well.
Who Takes It?
According to the manufacturer, MusclePharm Combat Protein Powder “is 25 grams of high-quality protein in a tasty, easy-to-mix shake, formulated for athletes and active people.”
We daresay the protein is indeed of high quality. With a highly-touted blend of whey, egg, and casein protein, athletes and active people are sure to benefit from this product.
Any Side Effects?
Whey protein concentrate contains some lactose. That being said, people who are lactose intolerant should seek the advice of their physician before purchasing this product. People who are watching their sodium intake may also want to talk to their doctor beforehand as each scoop of MusclePharm Combat Protein Powder has at least 150 mg of sodium.
Other than these, the manufacturer reminds us the product is meant as a supplement and not a sole source of nutrition:
MusclePharm Combat Protein Powder Summary
- Top-notch protein blend. Combination of slow-, medium-, and fast-absorbing protein.
- Solid muscle-building product. Keeps muscles in anabolic state for hours.
- Versatile. Can be taken as a post-workout supplement or snack.
- Variety. Comes in six delicious flavors.
- Reasonable price. $47.96 for a 4-lb. tub.
- Proprietary blend. The Combat Powder Proprietary Time Release System is a red flag.
- Dirty label. Too many components listed under “Other ingredients.”
Pricing & Buying Info
- 1 2-lb. tub (26-Day Supply): $28.96
- 1 4-lb. tub (54-Day Supply): $47.96
- 1 10-lb. tub (130-Day Supply): $101.87
- Available to buy online and in retail
Final Word on MusclePharm Combat Protein Powder
MusclePharm Combat Protein Powder has been recognized as one of the top blended protein powders in the last few years, and rightfully so.
It has top-notch ingredients which help athletes and active people achieve their muscle-building and fitness goals. It is versatile, comes in six delicious flavors, and has a reasonable price.
The two major flaws of this product is its proprietary blend and inclusion of several “dirty ingredients.”
Still, the pros outweigh the cons (not by a mile, though). Despite MusclePharm Combat Protein Powder’s shortcomings, many consumers will still attest it is one of the best of its kind on the market.