Clean gains. More muscle. More strength.
Who wouldn’t want these?
When you try EPIQ 100% Whey, you can reap all of these benefits. However, is this supplement what it claims to be? Is it an epic product?
Can it even trump the likes of Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey?
That’s what this review aims to find out, folks.
About EPIQ 100% Whey
According to the manufacturer’s official website, EPIQ 100% Whey is a “100 Percent Instantized, Ultra-Premium Whey Protein Concentrate” which can help you “optimize recovery for clean gains in muscle size and strength.” Formula notes:
- Twenty-four grams of protein per serving. Helps build lean muscle mass.
- Higher calcium and iron contents. Added health benefits.
- Comes in two flavors. Choose between Deluxe Vanilla Shake and Double Chocolate Fudge.
EPIQ 100% Whey Supplement Facts (Double Chocolate Fudge, 5 lbs.)
|Serving Size: 1 Scoop (36g)
Servings Per Container: Approx. 64
|Nutrient||Amount Per Serving||% Daily Value|
|Calories From Fat||25|
|Total Fat||2 g||3%*|
|Saturated Fat||1 g||5%*|
|Trans Fat||0 g||†|
|Total Carbohydrate||4 g||1%*|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g||4%*|
|OTHER INGREDIENTS: Protein & Amino Blend (Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Protein Isolate, Hydrolyzed Whey Protein, L-Leucine, L-Isoleucine, L-Valine, L-Glutamine), Cocoa Powder (Processed with Alkali), Natural and Artificial Flavor, Salt, Soy Lecithin, Gum Blend (Cellulose Gum, Xanthan Gum, Carrageenan), Sucralose, Acesulfame-Potassium|
|Directions For EPIQ 100% Whey: Mix 1 scoop with 6 to 8 oz. of cold water or skim milk in a glass or shaker cup. Use between major meals, and before and after exercise. Read the entire label before use and follow directions provided.|
EPIQ 100% Whey for Epic Gains
If you want epic bodybuilding gains, EPIQ 100% Whey could just be the supplement for you.
Take a hint from the name – if that isn’t an indication of things to come, we don’t know what is.
Don’t forget about the 24 grams of protein per scoop.
According to the manufacturer’s official website, this product “features 100% instantized, ultra-premium whey concentrate that’s easy to digest and absorb.”
Judging from that statement, whey protein concentrate is the main protein component of EPIQ 100% Whey, folks.
Between whey protein concentrate (WPC) and whey protein isolate (WPI), the former is the less pure form of protein at 80 percent maximum.
This is because WPC has more fats and carbs than WPI (since the latter has less lactose content, it’s a better fit for individuals who cannot digest it properly).
It may sound disadvantageous to those who want to build lean muscle mass, but the difference in carb content is not startling.
You can expect a WPC supplement to have at least two to three percent carbs. A WPI supplement has one percent or less.
Nonetheless, both WPC and WPI are rich in amino acids, soluble, and fast-absorbing, which bodes well for your worn-out muscles after a hard workout (check out our other B5 protein reviews to see which products can help you in this regard).
Plus, WPC has more immune-boosting protein components than WPI. Just ask Dr. Mercola.
The good thing about EPIQ 100% Whey is it has both WPC and WPI, so you get to reap the benefits of both.
This product also has whey protein hydrolysate, the fastest-absorbing whey protein on the market.
As the name implies, hydrolysis means breaking down larger protein molecules into smaller ones known as di-peptides and tri-peptides.
Whey protein hydrolysate also helps improve nitrogen retention in your muscles. The more nitrogen they retain, the more postive your nitrogen balance is.
When this happens, your muscles will thrive in a highly-anabolic environment, folks.
Having said that, EPIQ 100% Whey has the benefits of all three kinds of whey to help you build more muscle and then some.
Now, let’s check out the formula ingredients:
- Total fat, 2 g: Despite whey protein concentrate being the primary protein component, EPIQ 100% Whey is a good low-carb supplement at just three percent of the daily value. Those who are iffy about taking WPC can take EPIQ 100% Whey with full confidence they will achieve their lean muscle-buliding goals.
- Cholesterol, 60 mg: This product may be a low-fat supplement, but it is not low in cholesterol. At 20 percent the daily value for this nutrient, EPIQ 100% Whey’s cholesterol content is high (anything higher than five percent is already considered high). If you’re watching your cholesterol levels, better steer clear of this supplement. If you still want to take it, you may be better off eating oatmeal regularly to help offset the high cholesterol content.
- Total carbohydrate, 4 g: EPIQ 100% Whey is not only low-fat, it is also low-carb. At four grams per serving and just one percent of the daily value for carbs, this product can help you gain lean muscle. No question about it. Check it out: EPIQ 100% Whey has 50 milligrams of papain and 50 milligrams of amylase per serving – these digestive enzymes will help you absorb the macros faster and more efficiently. Sugar content is also pretty low at just one gram per serving.
- Calcium, 110 mg: This supplement has 11 percent of the daily value for calcium, making it a good source. It may not be as high as Beverly International UMP Muscle Protein’s, but it will still help boost your bone and teeth health, folks.
- Iron, 1.3 mg: You may think 1.3 milligrams or iron per serving is miniscule, but it goes a long way if we’re talking about protein supplements (not too many of them are rich in iron to begin with). EPIQ 100% Whey has seven percent of the daily value for iron, which gives you one reason to do away with your iron supplements.
- Sodium, 230 mg: This much sodium per serving is considered a tad bit high for a protein supplement. Sodium is important in post-workout recovery (preventing muscle cramps, for instance), but too much may be detrimental to cardiovascular health. Check with your doctor first if this concerns you.
EPIQ 100% Whey not only has 24 grams of protein per serving, it combines the benefits of whey protein concentrate, whey protein isolate, and hydrolyzed whey protein.
This combination gives you the full spectrum of benefits each kind of whey offers. Plus, this product will help amp up your recovery in no time.
Without a doubt, your muscles will be happy.
Bear in mind the protein component is just the beginning – each scoop also has “added BCAAs and glutamine to help promote lean muscle growth and recovery right when you need it.”
Just so you know BCAAs (especially leucine) help kickstart the muscle protein synthesis process and increase energy levels.
On the other hand, glutamine is known for its muscle-preserving benefits. If you’re not too keen on casein protein, glutamine is the way to go, folks.
Oh, and did we mention glutamine helps increase human growth hormone levels?
We’re sure that got your attention.
We already mentioned EPIQ 100% Whey is low in fats and carbohydrates. We like the way the manufacturer whittled them down in spite of whey protein concentrate being the primary protein component (WPC has more carbs and fats than WPI).
Hey, don’t forget about the digestive enzymes (papain and amylase) which have been proven to improve nutrient absorption. Awesome.
The other health benefits don’t stop there, folks.
EPIQ 100% Whey has high calcium (11 percent of the daily value) and iron (seven percent of the daily value) levels. When you take this supplement, you will consistenly meet your daily requirements for these two minerals.
As exciting as these benefits are, EPIQ 100% Whey is not a perfect product.
We already emphasized the high cholesterol and sodium levels. Both can be beneficial, and you need a bit of both for optimum health.
However, EPIQ 100% Whey goes a bit overboard. We urge you to ask for your doctor’s advice if you’re having second thoughts.
There’s also the inclusion of carrageenan. Just so you know, this additive has been linked to several ailments. Watch out.
To help put you at ease, the manufacturer claims EPIQ 100% Whey is “formulated without artificial colors, dyes, or added fillers,” per its official website.
We believe that’s true, alluding to the simple ingredients. The only exception is carrageenan, an ingredient which has received its share of scrutiny over the years.
We like the manufacturer’s transparency – all of the ingredients are accounted for. You know how much of each you’re putting in your body.
EPIQ 100% Whey Benefits
According to the manufacturer’s official website, EPIQ 100% Whey has the following benefits:
- “Clean gains in muscle size and strength”
- Helps boost performance and recovery
- Clean ingredients, low-fat, and great-tasting
- Has no fillers and ditry ingredients
Without a doubt, EPIQ 100% Whey will help you put on lean muscle mass and increase strength because of its potent protein blend with added glutamine and BCAAs.
Plus, it tastes great to boot.
However, we disagree with the manufacturer’s claim there are no dirty ingredients.
We identified carrageenan as the lone spoiler in the preceding section. Had it not been for it, EPIQ 100% Whey would have been 100 percent clean.
Who Takes It?
EPIQ 100% Whey is intended for healthy and active individuals who want to put on lean muscle mass, boost recovery, and meet their daily protein requirements.
Any Side Effects?
EPIQ 100% Whey has no glaring side effects. However, consumers need to be wary of its high cholesterol and sodium content. Individuals with cardiovascular issues should consult with their physicians before purchasing this product.
The manufacturer also issues a warning for everyone to follow:
EPIQ 100% Whey Summary
- Twenty-four grams of protein per serving. Helps build lean muscle mass.
- Added BCAAs and glutamine. Helps achieve muscle-building goals.
- Low-carb and low-fat. More muscle without the unwanted flab.
- Added health benefits. Digestive enzymes and higher calcium and iron contents.
- High in cholesterol and sodium. Ask for your doctor’s advice if this concerns you.
- Has carrageenan. Additive which has been under scrutiny from experts.
Pricing & Buying Info
- 1 five pound container (64-Day Supply): $59.99
- Available to buy online (inc. Amazon at good prices) and in retail
Final Word on EPIQ 100% Whey
Is EPIQ 100% Whey the epic supplement it claims to be?
No, it’s not.
We say this because there are other cleaner supplements with lower cholesterol and sodium contents on the market.
Hey, if these don’t faze you, you can give it a shot: Twenty-four grams of protein per serving, digestive enzymes, and higher calcium and iron content won’t hurt one bit.
Buy it, and see the difference (and no, it doesn’t trump Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey).