We’ve been waiting for the day to review a protein blend that can give the likes of MusclePharm Combat Protein Powder and BSN SYNTHA-6 a run for their money.
It seems that day has arrived.
Please welcome Body Nutrition Trutein – a protein blend with a rather simple name but packs a wallop.
We’re serious, folks. It’s one of the better protein blends we’ve sized up in quite some time. Let’s check it!
About Body Nutrition Trutein
The manufacturer describes Body Nutrition Trutein as “a premium protein blend of 45 percent whey, 45 percent micellar casein, and 10 percent egg white.” The company adds its protein blend is unique because there are no proprietary blends and the taste is one of the best in the industry. Formula notes:
- Balanced protein ratio. Equal emphasis on whey and protein plus the benefits of egg protein.
- 5.5 grams of BCAAs per serving. Trumps the likes of Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey.
- Comes in 13 awesome flavors. Namely Banana Cream, Birthday Cake, Chocolate, Chocolate Mint, Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup, CinnaBun, Lemon Meringue Pie, Mocha Caramel, Peanut Butter Marshmallow Cookie, Red Velvet Cake, S’Mores, and Vanilla Bean.
Body Nutrition Trutein Supplement Facts (Chocolate, 4 lbs.)
Serving Size 1 Level Scoop (34g)
Servings Per Container 53
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories From Fat||10|
|Total Fat||1 g 1% (DV)|
|Saturated Fat||.5 g 3%|
|Cholesterol||20 mg 6%|
|Sodium||115 mg 5%|
|Total Carbohydrate||4.5 g 2%|
|Dietary Fiber||2.5 g 11%|
|Protein||25 g 50%|
|Protease Enzymes||100 mg **|
Ingredients: Trutein® Protein Blend (Pure Undenatured & Nonthermally-Processed Milk Protein Isolate [Containing Naturally-Occurring Micellar Casein], Egg Albumen, Cross-Flow Nanofiltered Whey Protein Isolate, Ultrafiltered Whey Protein Concentrate), Cocoa Powder, TruFiber™ Inulin, Natural & Artificial Flavors, Xanthan Gum, Cellulose Gum, Guar Gum, Protease Enzymes, Acesulfame Potassium, Sucralose, Soy Lecithin
Directions For Trutein: Mix 1 scoop Trutein with 8 ounces milk or cold water. Stir or shake for 15-20 seconds.
Body Nutrition Trutein: Protein Which Keeps You Coming Back for More
Watch out, folks. Body Nutrition Trutein could annihilate other protein powders, regardless of their prices. Plus, its 25 grams of protein per serving is just the tip of the iceberg.
Trutein Protein Blend contains whey, micellar casein, and egg white, per the manufacturer’s official website.
The main advantage of this triple combination over other products?
Their different absorption rates – which last from 30 minutes to seven hours – help keep your body in an anabolic state, folks.
Okay, that’s nothing new. Premier brands such as MusclePharm Combat Protein Powder and BSN SYNTA-6 also boast that claim. Ho-hum.
However, it gets a tad bit more interesting. The manufacturer says focusing more on the isolate form of whey and casein saves you from more fat, lactose, and cholesterol which you get from the concentrate form.
The company also manufactures its protein blend “using a non-thermal, cross-flow nanofiltration system to give the cleanest possible product while retaining the naturally-occurring bioactive peptides, including alpha-lactalbumin and glycomacropeptides,” per its official website.
Body Nutrition has its reasons for focusing primarily on the isolate form of protein: It has a faster absorption rate and is lower in fat, carbs, lactose, and cholesterol.
Above everything else, whey protein isolate is the purest form of protein – it is 90 percent protein compared to whey protein concentrate (WPC), which is around 70 to 80 percent. Perhaps we should put all of our doubts and questions to rest.
Unfortunately, whey protein isolate (WPI) also has some downsides.
The further processing of WPI further diminishes the amount of minerals and vitamins. Some health experts also argue WPI is acidifying, which gives way to muscle and bone tissue waste as the years go by.
Bottom line: The isolate and non-isolate forms of protein have their advantages and disadvantages. Having both in the same protein supplement helps offset these shortcomings.
Body Nutrition Trutein does have whey protein concentrate, so you’ll get the best of both worlds (if you’re seeking a top-notch whey protein concentrate supplement, check out MyProtein Impact Whey Protein).
The manufacturer stresses its signature protein powder’s taste “keeps you coming back for more.” This holds true for most of the flavors. However, is it the best tasting protein blend on the market?
In our opintion, that distinction belongs to BSN SYNTHA-6. A close second would be Gaspari Nutrition MyoFusion Advanced Protein. Nonetheless, Body Nutrition Trutein is a decent choice.
Now, let’s check out the formula ingredients:
- Total Fat, 1 g: Body Nutrition Trutein’s fat content comes from its egg albumen and whey protein concentrate content. Total fat content per serving is low (one gram).
- Cholesterol, 20 mg: Thankfully, the product’s cholesterol content isn’t as high as most of today’s protein supplements. You need the good kind of cholesterol for optimum cardiovascular health, but a high overall cholesterol level may be detrimental.
- Sodium, 115 mg: Even individuals with cardiovascular issues will benefit from Body Nutrition Trutein because of its low sodium content (five percent the daily value).
- Total carbohydrate, 4.5 g: Body Nutrition Trutein is a good low-carb option for protein blend enthusiasts. Note the manufacturer’s focus on digestive enzymes (11 percent the daily value) such as TruFiber inulin and protease enzymes. In the protein supplement world, better absorption means better results. Good job, guys.
Remaining in an anabolic state with a supplement which has whey, egg, and casein protein is extremely beneficial for athletes and active individuals alike.
The good news: Body Nutrition Trutein kicks it up a notch, folks.
Not only do you get 25 grams of high-quality fast-, medium-, and slow-absorbing-protein, you get the kind that is clean and pure, thanks to the company’s nanofiltration system. Plus, it features premium, grass-fed dairy. Fantastic.
We are confident this product can help you achieve your lean muscle-building goals because of its low fat and low carbohydrate content. It’s also low in sodium and cholesterol – a rarity in today’s supplement era where some manufacturers use every trick in the book to deceive their customers.
We already mentioned it, but it bears repeating: effective digestion plays a crucial role in protein absorption. Body Nutrition made sure to include a heap of digestive enzymes to help the consumer in this regard. Awesome.
The company also shuns the evil known as proprietary blends (which is absolutely fantastic, in our opinion).
In case you’re wondering, here is the protein proportion the manufacturer was talking about: 45% Whey, 45% Casein, and 10% Egg White.
The takeaway? Body Nutrition not only believes in the ‘isolate’ form of protein, it also believes in striking a delicate balance between whey and casein. We like that.
Still not convinced? Body Nutrition Trutein also has 5.9 grams of BCAAs and 5.1 grams of glutamine per serving (in contrast, industry leader Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey has only 5.5 grams of BCAAs per serving). Branch-chained amino acids help kickstart the protein synthesis process and boost energy levels.
On the other hand, had Body Nutrition Trutein used stevia as a sweetener, we would have been more impressed (it uses acesulfame potassium and sucralose, common ingredients in whey protein supplements).
Another potential downside: The number of ingredients may (emphasis on the word “may”) include fillers.
All in all, Body Nutrition Trutein’s quality ingredients complement its top-notch protein content for a solid return on your investment, folks.
Body Nutrition Trutein Benefits
The manufacturer enumerates this product’s benefits on its official website:
- Twenty-five grams of protein per scoop
- Balanced whey, casein, and egg protein ratios
- Sustained-release protein matrix
- Premium grass-fed dairy
- No proprietary blends and amino spiking
What’s not to love here, folks? So far, we found a few chinks in Body Nutrition Trutein’s armor, but the positives still outweigh the negatives by a mile.
Who Takes It?
Body Nutrition Trutein is intended for athletes and active individuals who want to build lean muscle, increase strength, and meet their daily protein requirements.
Any Side Effects?
We’re happy to report Body Nutrition Trutein has no glaring side effects. In fact, this product’s outstanding ingredient profile and transparency make it one of the safest protein blends we’ve ever come across.
The only thing you should be mindful of is its milk, soy, and egg content. If you’re allergic to any of these, better steer clear, folks.
Body Nutrition Trutein Summary
- Twenty-five grams of protein per scoop. For building lean muscle.
- Balanced protein ratio. Combination of whey (45 percent), casein (45 percent), and egg protein (10 percent).
- 5.5 grams of BCAAs per serving. Helps kickstart the protein synthesis process.
- Grass-fed dairy. Nobody wants cows jabbed with growth hormones.
- Low-fat, low-carb, low-sodium, low-cholesterol. Need we say more?
- No proprietary blends. What you see is what you get.
- Lots of variety. Thirteen flavors to choose from.
- Possible inclusion of fillers. A tad bit too many ingredients for our liking.
Pricing & Buying Info
- 1 two-lb. container (27-Day Supply): $36.95
- 1 four-lb. container (53-Day Supply): $59.95
- Available online and in retail
Final Word on Body Nutrition Trutein
You just read our honest assessment. You’ve seen the pros and cons.
Body Nutrition Trutein is the real deal, folks.
There’s just too many good things going on with this product, we’ve lost track. Let’s keep things simple: Buy it. You won’t regret it one bit.
One word to the manufacturer: Please use stevia when you come out with an advanced formula. We’ll wait for it.
For now, the likes of MusclePharm Combat Protein Powder and BSN SYNTHA-6 better watch out.