MuscleTech’s Shatter SX-7 is definitely not your ordinary preworkout. It’s creatine-free and makes use of more than their fair share of herbs in their mix. Not exactly something you see in traditional formulas. Being a creatine-free preworkout is often considered suicide in the supplement world too.
Despite the mad use of herbs, SHATTER SX-7 manages to fit great ingredients while not overcomplicating their formulation. It’s great and all but there’s a catch: It’s expensive as that last restaurant you treated your ex to and bro, we both know our wallet’s traumatized from that.
Let’s take a look at the SHATTER SX-7 and see if the formula justifies the price.
About SHATTER SX-7
SHATTER SX-7 clearly states it is capable of 147% increase in muscle strength as well as giving user up to 8.8 lbs. of lean muscle in 12 weeks! How crazy are those numbers? MuscleTech crazy that’s for sure. Those numbers could be factual to an extent but we’re not sure if it’s because of Shatter SX-7 or purely because of one of their key ingredients: Peak ATP®. Formula notes:
- Dosage transparency: We love reviewing products that show us what they’ve got from the get-go.
- Creatine-free: Getting rid of creatine in place of Peak ATP was risky but it we think the angle is favorable. Creatine fans might not like this “creatine sub”, though.
- Bad marketing history: The company has suffered a bad rep when it comes to making false claims or exaggerated truths. Bro! Just look at that label!
SHATTER SX-7 Supplement Facts
|Serving Size: 1 Scoop (6g)
Servings Per Container: Approx. 50
|Ingredients||Amount Per Serving|
|Ultimate Musclebuilding & Pump Complex||1400 mg|
|Beta-Alanine (Carnosyn®)||1200 mg|
|Adenosine 5′ – Triphosphate Disodium (Peak ATP®)||200 mg|
|Extreme Energy & Focus Complex||340 mg|
|Caffeine Anhydrous||160 mg|
|Myristica fragrans extract (nutmeg) (seed)||100 mg|
|*A. From GNC
Brown algae extract (as Ecklonia cava) (stem and leaf)
*B. From official website
Sacred Lotus Seed Extract (as Nelumbo nucifera)
Supplying 1% higenamine
|Holy basil extract (as Ocimum tenuiflorum) (leaf)
Supplying 5% tannins
|Grains of paradise extract (as Aframomum melegueta) (seed)||20 mg|
|Directions: Take 2 servings (2 scoops) with 8 to 12 oz. of water and consume 30 to 45 minutes before your workout. Stimulant sensitive individuals should assess their tolerance before using. Do not exceed 2 scoops in a 24-hour period. Drink 10 glasses of water daily for general good health. Read the entire label before use and follow directions provided.|
|Other Ingredients: Natural And Artificial Flavors, Citric Acid, Acesulfame Potassium, Salt, Calcium Silicate, Sucralose, FD&C Red No. 40|
Muscletech Shatter SX-7 may not look like much at first but should shatter your disbelief once you try it.
Okay so here’s the lowdown: It has great ingredients all in all even when they decided to discard our favorite creatine and other stimulants in the final mix. The catch is, Let’s take a look at the following ingredients:
Ultimate Musclebuilding & Pump Complex
- Carnosyn®: Probably the best form of beta alanine. Even at lower than standard Beta Alanine dosages Carnosyn® is known to last up to 3 times longer in the body.
- Peak ATP®: This is their Creatine substitute for the bros who just hate the bloated feeling creatine leaves them with. Peak ATP® is considered a premium ingredient and has shown great potential when it comes to improving muscle performance.
Extreme Energy & Focus Complex
- Caffeine: General stimulant in most PWOs. They offer a mild dosage; just around 50% stronger than a cup of coffee.
- Myristica Fragrans: Also known as nutmeg, this is used mostly as a taste-masking ingredient. It’s also theoretically known to enhance lipolysis aka fat conversion to energy. We’re not sure why Muscletech said it’s for a “unique sensory experience” though. What kind of experience do you get from eating nutmeg anyway?
- Brown Algae: This seaweed can actually help you perform longer as it delays fatigue.
- Sacred Lotus: What’s so sacred about this ingredient? We don’t know the answer to that but it increases energy thru indirectly promoting thermogenesis.
- Holy Basil: We’re not sure why it’s holy or are we keen to find out why. What we do know is this herb is more of an anti-depressant and a T-booster. As fat burner, Holy Basil contains Ursolic acid which helps promote lipolysis.
- Grains of paradise: At this point we’re almost sure a priest had a hand on this product’s formulation. It’s a T-Booster and what’s great is the dosage in this PWO is more than enough for it to actually work.
The ingredient choices may seem odd but they function the way the label says they would. The only drawback, especially if you’ve been taking supplements for a while, is the dosage for each ingredient. Most bros might go for two scoops the moment they see this product and doubling the dose would instantly double the expenses.
For their Ultimate Musclebuilding & Pumping Complex, they could’ve added a bit more Carnosyn and Peak ATP for an ideal single-scoop dose. These two ingredients are definitely premium so we understand the cost reduction practice they made here but we prefer our single servings stronger than us. Too bad the customers have to chalk up the cash if they want to get the full strength dosage.
Their Caffeine is okay but most bros might go for at least 1.5 scoops so the problem is solved. Before you go out and dump a lump of powder down your shaker, let’s take into account the fact that their Extreme Energy & Focus Complex contain herbs that act as both T-boosters and lipolytics. This means this preworkout intended not to rely on caffeine as their sole stimulant. Synergy is synergy, bro.
Grains of Paradise hits the clinically effective minimum dosage while the other herbs wouldn’t be anywhere near the recommended dose and yes, even with two scoops.
As individual ingredients, these may seem like really bad choices for a preworkout but if you look at the formula as a whole you might see why users have been more than satisfied with this product. Their dosages and combinations were put together to complement each other and not steal the show and when it comes to supplements, we prefer a well-rounded and carefully balanced formula.
SHATTER SX-7 Benefits
It can definitely help build muscle and definitely gets you hyped up for a tough day at the gym even if the caffeine content isn’t much. Users also report of no crashing which is a big plus for an energy supplement.
And yes it will help you “shatter” PRs and plateaus. There, we said it.
Who Takes It?
It can be newbie friendly but it’s not for those who want creatine or those who doubt creatine substitutes like Peak ATP. It seems to be highly marketed for those who have tried other PWOs before but either didn’t like the formulations, the side effects, the crashes, or the bloating sensation creatine leaves them.
Any Side Effects?
All you should get are prolonged tingling sensations specially when taken as two scoops. If you’re sensitive to caffeine intake, you might want to stay with one serving instead as two scoops might shock your system with 320 mg of caffeine. So far, however, no reports of caffeine overdose symptoms yet.
Shatter SX-7 Summary
- Unique mix that works. Odd ingredients but have great results.
- Transparent dosages. You know how much everything weighs especially when you cycle.
- Synergy. Puzzle pieces are small but look big when put together properly.
- Premium ingredients. Carnosyn and Peak ATP are some of the best ingredients in the business.
- Expensive. Full strength is two scoops and that ain’t cheap, bro.
- Taste is subjective. All those herbs will really mess up with your taste buds.
Pricing & Buying Info
- 1 bottle (50 servings): $69.99 at GNC
Final Word on Shatter SX-7
MuscleTech Shatter SX-7 is a solid preworkout made with a unique combination of ingredients to help you get pumped, stay focused, and perform longer. It’s not the best out there but what matters is it works. The price is a let down but if you got wads of cash lying around you should be covered, rich bro.