If you’ve been taking pre-workout supplements for quite some time, we bet you’ve seen it all.
However, have you stumbled upon a pre-workout container shaped like a shotgun shell?
We bet you haven’t.
Enter 4 Gauge – a potent pre-workout whose name does most of the talking.
We are confident this product and review will blow you away.
About 4 Gauge
4 Gauge is “The Safest and Strongest Pre-Workout on the Market” and “A Game-Changing 4-in-1 Pre-Workout Formula,” per its official website. Formula notes:
- Impressive ingredients. Components work synergistically to produce optimum results.
- Smart Caffeine combo. Rare pre-workout which combines caffeine and l-theanine.
- Six grams of l-citrulline Dl-malate per serving. Potent vasodilator which improves blood flow and creates muscle pumps.
4 Gauge Supplement Facts (Fruit Blast, 280 g)
|Serving Size: 14 g (2 scoops)
Servings Per Container: 20
|Nutrient||Amount Per Serving||% Daily Value|
|Total Carbohydrate||4 g|
|L-Citrulline Dl-Malate||6000 mg||*|
|Creatine Monohydrate||1000 mg||*|
|Acetyl L-Carnitine (as Acetyl L-Carnitine HCl)||500 mg||*|
|Red Beet (Beta Vulgaris) Root Extract||300 mg||*|
|Coconut Water Powder||300 mg||*|
|Caffeine Anhydrous||150 mg||*|
|Rhodiola Rosea (Root) Powder||100 mg||*|
|Other Ingredients: Dextrose, Erythritol, Natural Flavors, Xylitol, Monk Fruit Ext. (standardized to Mognosideds), Silica, Swerve® (Erythritol, Oligosaccharides, Natural Flavors).|
|DIRECTIONS FOR USE: Mix two level scoops of 4 Gauge powder in 10-12 fl. Oz./300-350ml of water or juice and drink 20-30 minutes before training. Once tolerance has been assessed and you are looking for an extra energy boost, you can take 3 or 4 level scoops.|
Load Up Your Guns
There are several reasons you need a good pre-workout formula.
When you work out at the crack of dawn, it helps perk you up.
If you prefer lifting after a hard day’s work, you may need a quick pick-me-up beforehand.
Maybe you’re all set to conquer your personal records in your deadlift or squats. A pre-workout can help you make the transition to beast mode.
Whatever the case may be, a quality product such as Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Pre-Workout is a worthy addition to your supplement stack.
Now, make way for another up-and-coming player in the bodybuilding supplement industry: 4 Gauge.
Take a hint from the name and the appearance, folks: this pre-workout takes the shape of a shotgun shell.
It’s one of the most fascinating pre-workout containers we’ve ever seen.
We’re guessing the outside appearance is a giveaway of what 4 Gauge can do for you.
The manufacturer dubs it “The Safest and Strongest Pre-Workout on the Market” and a “Game-Changing 4-in-1 Pre-Workout Formula,” per its official website.
We like it. That’s are what you want in a pre-workout: a strong kick without the jitters and side effects.
On that note, 4 Gauge “enhances every aspect of what makes a workout great: raw strength, strong focus, long-lasting energy, and intense muscle pumps,” per its official website.
The manufacturer says one’s career and life can get in the way of a solid training session at the gym.
“It’s perfectly normal…but it doesn’t have to be for you,” its website claims.
“To prevent this, we’ve packed 4 Gauge with high-level cognitive enhancers that contain valuable properties helping to boost both mood and motivation,” per the same source.
This observation is spot on. Let’s keep it real, folks: sometimes life can wear you out. You’re already on fumes by the time you set foot inside your gym.
Get this: the folks at 4 Gauge say their product is not just an every day go-to, but “a long-term solution for tapping into your full potential.”
If 4 Gauge is the game-changer it claims to be, we’ll take it.
This product has no proprietary blends and artificial sweeteners. That made a good first impression on us – we’ve seen far too many pre-workouts without precise ingredient amounts and sweeteners such as sucralose.
The manufacturer says all of 4 Gauge’s ingredients are natural and “prepared in FDA- and cGMP-certified facilities.”
The takeaway: this pre-workout is a breath of fresh air for those who want a natural, no-frills supplement.
4 Gauge’s main ingredient is a whopping six grams of l-citrulline Dl malate per serving.
This watermelon extract is “arguably the most effective vasodilator on the market,” per 4 Gauge’s official website.
We agree. L-citrulline malate is a nitric oxide precursor. The latter compound is known for several benefits:
- Helps improve blood flow
- Boosts nutrient uptake
- Creates more muscle pumps
- Regulates blood pressure
- Increases growth hormone levels
What’s not to like?
We feel six grams of l-citrulline malate per serving will help you feel blood surge through your veins and pump you up for your workout.
Many pre-workouts have this ingredient. However, 4 Gauge takes it to a different level.
To put things in perspective, one scoop of 4 Gauge yields three grams of l-citrulline malate. It blows the aforementioned Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Pre-Workout out of the water (just 1.5 grams per serving).
Next up is one gram of creatine monohydrate per serving.
We’re stoked 4 Gauge has one of the most versatile bodybuilding ingredients.
Long story short, creatine’s most impressive pre-workout benefits are its abilities to increase athletic performance and delay the onset of fatigue.
Ergo, creatine acts as an energy source before your training session.
One gram per serving ought to suffice for pre-workout purposes.
However, if you need more creatine after a hard workout (to help increase muscle mass and shorten recovery), that’s fine.
Just remember to stick to the recommended daily dosage of five grams.
4 Gauge also has 500 milligrams of acetyl l-carnitine per serving.
The moment you see the “l-carnitine,” you may be thinking of fat loss. You’re right.
Acetyl l-carnitine does help you torch fat, but it also helps ward off fatigue and muscle damage.
It’s clear this ingredient complements 4 Gauge’s creatine monohydrate component perfectly – you’ll get a double dose of energy.
Another key ingredient is 300 milligrams of red beet root extract (Beta vulgaris) per serving.
“Working as a nitric oxide booster and a performance enhancer, Beta vulgaris is nature’s secret weapon for overall physical performance,” per 4 Gauge’s official website.
So, if you’re not content with this product’s six grams of l-citrulline malate per serving, its additional dose of Beta vulgaris will ensure you get awesome muscle pumps.
Not only that, fitness experts also praise beetroot for its other key benefits:
- Helps regulate blood pressure levels
- Increases stamina
- Keeps inflammation at bay
- Helps detoxify the body
- Wards off nasty free radicals
Aren’t you glad 4 Gauge has Beta vulgaris? We sure are.
Now, this pre-workout’s 300 milligrams of coconut water per serving is a pleasant surprise.
Some fitness experts maintain it is best consumed as a post-workout supplement to replenish your electrolyte levels.
However, a pre-workout with coconut water such as 4 Gauge helps increase hydration “while restoring electrolytes and lowering blood pressure,” per its official website.
We’re confident it will help you feel more revitalized before your workout.
The manufacturer places special emphasis on its vaunted combo of 150 milligrams of caffeine and 200 milligrams of l-theanine per serving.
It dubs this one-two punch “Smart Caffeine” because of its incredible synergy.
“Caffeine’s a badass stimulant that raises energy, power output, and overall mental awareness – and l-theanine is the amino acid that keeps it focused and in check,” per 4 Gauge’s official website.
That’s because l-theanine boosts levels of the neurotransmitter GABA, which gives your mind and body a soothing and calming effect.
We think this is a stroke of genius. Many manufacturer’s overlook the possible side effects of caffeine.
On the other hand, some consumers (especially those who work out at night) say caffeine from their pre-workout supplements keeps them wired for hours.
Not so with 4 Gauge – it may have a lethal name, but its caffeine content is the kind which helps you achieve your fitness goals without compromising your lifestyle.
Had it not been for 4 Gauge’s l-theanine content, we would have had a stronger stance against it due to its caffeine content.
We get it, folks: most pre-workouts have caffeine. However, if a supplement can jack you up without stimulants (which may have side effects), it would be much better.
4 Gauge is the exception to the norm – its “Smart Caffeine” combo works. Try it and see for yourself.
The final key ingredient is 100 milligrams of Rhodiola rosea powder per serving.
“Numerous exhaustive studies have shown the herb to combat both fatigue and depression while boosting cognition and subjective well-being,” per the product’s official website.
We think it’s an excellent addition to 4 Gauge – it’s like icing on the cake, folks.
Let’s check out the formula ingredients:
- Calories, 5: 4 Gauge is a bona fide low-calorie pre-workout at a measly five per serving. It won’t compromise your nutrition goals in any way, that’s for sure.
- Total carbohydrate, 4 g: Not only that, this supplement is low in carbs at just four per serving. It should complement your low-carb nutrition plan and lean-muscle-building goals perfectly.
- Potassium, 10 mg: 4 Gauge is not a significant source of potassium at a measly 10 milligrams per serving.
- Sodium, 20 mg: Based on our computation, 4 Gauge has less than one percent the daily value for sodium (anything less than five percent is low). This product is safe for those who are monitoring their sodium intake.
- Calcium, 30 mg: 4 Gauge is not a significant source of calcium at just three percent of the daily value.
- L-citrulline Dl-malate: 4 Gauge’s main ingredient which acts as a potent vasodilator for more awesome muscle pumps, more efficient nutrient uptake, and increased blood flow.
- Creatine monohydrate, 1,000 mg: Acts as an energy source due to its ability to increase athletic performance and delay the onset of exercise fatigue.
- Acetyl l-carnitine (as acetyl l-carnitine HCl), 500 mg: An amino acid which helps boost fat loss and ward off fatigue and muscle damage.
- Red beet (Beta vulgaris) root extract, 300 mg: Simply known as beetroot, this ingredient helps increase nitric oxide levels for more muscle pumps and better blood flow. In short, it’s the perfect complement to 4 Gauge’s l-citrulline Dl-malate content.
- Coconut water powder, 300 mg: Natural electrolyte source which helps increase hydration and regulate blood pressure levels. Great inclusion.
- L-theanine, 200 mg: The first half of 4 Gauge’s potent “Smart Caffeine” combo. It helps offset the possible side effects of caffeine while helping you work out more efficiently.
- Caffeine, 150 mg: The most common stimulant found in bodybuilding pre-workout supplements. It “raises energy, power output, and overall mental awareness,” per 4 Gauge’s official website. Caffeine junkies out there will agree wholeheartedly.
- Rhodiola rosea (root) powder, 100 mg: “Great for your body, mood, and mindset,” per the product’s official website. This herb helps enhance your mood and put you in the right frame of mind before your first rep.
The manufacturer proudly proclaimed 4 Gauge as “The Safest and Strongest Pre-Workout on the Market” on its official website.
Well, we agree for the most part.
For one, we believe 4 Gauge has one of the best pre-workout ingredient combos on the market. It’s right up there with the likes of Old School Labs’ Vintage Blast.
Six grams of l-citrulline Dl-malate per serving are guaranteed to boost your nitric oxide levels for more muscle pumps and better blood flow.
Throw in one gram of creatine monohydrate and 300 milligrams of red beet root extract (Beta vulgaris) per serving, and you will experience a fantastic adrenaline rush before your workout.
It will make you want to hit the weights harder. We guarantee it.
The other ingredients serve as great complements. Acetyl l-carnitine’s ability to ward off fatigue and muscle damage work great in conjunction with the creatine content.
On the other hand, the Beta vulgaris and coconut water combo help regulate your blood pressure levels.
Don’t forget about the “Smart Caffeine” combo of caffeine and l-theanine we mentioned earlier. 4 Gauge is one of the few pre-workouts on the market whose caffeine content produces minimum side effects.
That’s saying something.
Here’s the major takeaway, folks: it’s evident 4 Gauge’s ingredients work synergistically to give you the edge you need for your workouts.
The manufacturer says all-natural without the shady proprietary blends is the way to go. Of course, we agree.
With that, we give the company high marks for its transparency.
Other pluses: this pre-workout is low in calories, carbs, and sodium.
For the most part, 4 Gauge is a safe pre-workout.
However, the inclusion of sugar alcohols such as Xylitol and Erythritol doesn’t sit well with us.
For instance, the latter may produce diarrhea and headaches if taken in large amounts.
Still, some fitness experts believe Erythritol has antioxidant properties.
In any case, we have mixed feelings about the inclusion of sugar alcohols in any bodybuilding supplement.
Good thing 4 Gauge has monk fruit extract (also known as Lo Han Guo extract), a natural sweetener which helps ward off free radicals and inflammation.
If only 4 Gauge used monk fruit extract or stevia exclusively, that would have been great.
Finally, this pre-workout doesn’t come cheap: one 280-gram container costs $45.00.
4 Gauge Benefits
4 Gauge has the following benefits, per its official website:
- Helps boost explosive power
- Increases mental focus and stamina
- Produces awesome muscle pumps
- Improves physique
- Helps increase quality of your workouts for faster progress
- No artificial sweeteners
We agree with most of these claims. 4 Gauge is one potent pre-workout which can help you achieve your fitness goals and then some.
Who Takes It?
4 Gauge is “perfect for anyone who wants to see faster results in the gym, perform better at their sport, or just feel incredible while exercising,” per its official website.
Because of its caffeine content, we deem 4 Gauge is best suited for healthy and active individuals who are at least 18 years of age.
Any Side Effects?
4 Gauge won’t produce the side effects other pre-workouts with caffeine do because of its l-theanine content.
However, the inclusion of sugar alcohols such as Xylitol and Erythritol have received mixed feedback from experts. Some even maintain they may produce side effects (such as headaches and diarrhea) when taken in large amounts.
Nonetheless, if you feel doubtful about any of 4 Gauge’s ingredients, please consult with your physician before purchasing.
4 Gauge Summary
- Impressive ingredient combo. Components work synergistically for maximum results.
- Six grams of l-citrulline Dl-malate per serving. Potent vasodilator which helps increase blood flow.
- One gram of creatine monohydrate per serving. Helps increase athletic performance.
- Has red beet root extract. Complements l-citrulline Dl-malate’s nitric-oxide-boosting prowess perfectly.
- Smart Caffeine content. Rare pre-workout which has l-theanine, an amino acid which helps offset caffeine’s stimulatory effects.
- Has monk fruit extract. Natural sweetener which helps keep free radicals and inflammation at bay.
- Great transparency. No shady proprietary blends. Awesome.
- Has sugar alcohols. Would have been better if manufacturer used monk fruit extract or stevia exclusively.
- Expensive. One 280-gram container costs $45.00.
Pricing & Buying Info
- 1 280-gram Container (20-Day Supply): $45.00
- Available online and in retail
Final Word on 4 Gauge
So, is 4 Gauge the potent pre-workout it claims to be?
Yes, it is.
We found its ingredient combo and its synergistic effects impressive, to say the least.
Besides, can you name another pre-workout with a Smart Caffeine combo such as this one?
We guarantee this product will help take your workouts to the next level.
If only the manufacturer can come up with a cheaper advanced formula without the sugar alcohols, we would be stoked even more.
For now, we highly recommend you buy 4 Gauge and feel the difference.