When was the last time a post-workout supplement blew customers away?
You probably don’t even remember.
We’re confident MyProtein Hurricane XS can do the trick for you.
How about an impressive 30 grams of protein to start things off?
You will love this review for sure.
About MyProtein Hurricane XS
The manufacturer dubs MyProtein Hurricane XS the “All-in-One Formula,” per its official website. Formula notes:
- Thirty grams of protein per serving. Higher than most post-workout supplements.
- Five grams of creatine monohydrate per serving. Has Creapure, a top-notch German brand.
- Clean ingredients. Has no fillers and proprietary blends.
MyProtein Hurricane XS Supplement Facts (Unflavoured, 2,500 grams)
|Serving Size – 2 1/4 large scoops (70g)|
Servings Per Container – 35 (2.5kg), 71 (5kg)
|Nutrient||Amount Per Serving||% Daily Value|
|Energy||998 kJ/236 cal||12%|
|of which saturates||1.3 g||7%|
|of which sugars||15 g||17%|
|Per 100g||Per Serving|
|Creatine Monohydrate (Creapure®)||7.1 g||5 g|
|HMB (Beta-Hydroxy Beta-Methylbutyric Acid)||2.1 g||1.5 g|
|Ingredients: Protein Blend (53%), (Whey Protein Concentrate (Milk), Whey Protein Isolate (Milk)), Carbohydrate Blend (Dextrose, Ground Oats), L Glutamine, Creatine Monohydrate (Creapure *®*), HMB (beta-hydroxy beta-methylbutyric acid), Emulsifier (Soy Lecithin), Flavouring, Sweetener (Sucralose)|
|Suggested Use: |
The Perfect ‘All-in-One’ Post-Workout Formula
We were excited when we reviewed MyProtein Impact Whey Protein. It’s a U.K. product which packed a lot of promise. It’s one of the highly-regarded protein supplements in the industry.
We gave it a good grade. Somehow, we were hoping another highly-touted MyProtein product would come our way.
Enter MyProtein Hurricane XS.
The manufacturer dubs it the Perfect “All-in-One” formula. It sure sounds like the ultimate post-workout supplement to us.
According to MyProtein, it manufactured Hurricane XS knowing intense exercise “places a huge amount of stress on your body,” per the same source.
Having said that, the company emphasizes consuming key nutrients after exercise to boost recovery.
We agree. The 30-minute post-workout anabolic window is crucial, folks. That’s when your muscles are pining for nutrients such as carbs and protein.
A versatile post-workout supplement such as MyProtein Hurricane XS is your key to recovery.
The first key ingredient is an awesome 30 grams of whey protein concentrate (WPC) and whey protein isolate (WPI) per serving.
We say anywhere between 20 to 30 grams of post-workout protein is perfect. MyProtein Hurricane XS fits the bill perfectly.
If you’re a keen observer, you’ll know by now MyProtein Hurricane XS has 10 more grams of protein per serving than MyProtein Impact Whey Protein.
It makes sense to us. MyProtein Hurricane XS is a post-workout supplement – you need more protein after you put your muscles through a lot of wear and tear during training.
Another observation, folks: this product has WPI while MyProtein Impact Whey Protein doesn’t.
The takeaway: not only do you need more protein after a tough workout, you need them right away. Not later. Not after an hour. Now.
Whey protein isolate has a faster absorption rate than whey protein concentrate. We’re sure this was one of the reasons why it’s in MyProtein Hurricane XS.
Besides, WPI (at least 90 percent protein) has a higher protein content than WPC, which is 80 percent protein, tops.
That’s no knock on WPC, which has more immune-boosting properties than WPI. The latter, while lower in carbs and fats, is also more expensive alluding to the further processing it undergoes.
Hey, both WPC and WPI are in MyProtein Hurricane XS – you get the best of both worlds, folks. Just be wary of WPC’s lactose content.
Now, if you want to build more muscle, this product also has Creapure, a German brand of creatine monohydrate.
Creatine is a timeless bodybuilding supplement. It’s been known to help build muscle mass and improve athletic performance.
Creapure kicks it up a notch because of its German roots. Germany happens to be one of the most advanced countries in the world. To associate creatine monohydrate with that is nothing short of awesome.
Now that you’ve built muscle mass with WPC, WPI, and Creapure, it’s time to preserve it.
That’s where glutamine comes in – it helps preserve hard-earned muscle, increase human growth hormone (HGH) levels, maintain a positive nitrogen balance, and boost the immune system.
Whew. That’s what the most abundant amino acid can do for you. Aren’t you glad it’s in MyProtein Hurricane XS?
Okay, so you’ve got your protein and amino acids. What else do you need for maximum post-workout recovery?
Carbs, of course.
MyProtein Hurricane XS’ carbohydrate blend consists of 22 grams of dextrose and ground oats per serving – a unique combination, to say the least.
Just so you know, dextrose is a monosaccharide (simple sugar) which is a by-product of corn. Your muscles absorb dextrose pretty fast, and that results in an insulin spike.
For its part, insulin (a natural hormone) helps your muscles absorb the other nutrients such as protein and creatine. Great, isn’t it?
On the other hand, if you want to want to enjoy oats as if you were in the Golden Era of Bodybuilding, MyProtein Hurricane XS is the perfect post-workout supplement for you.
Like we said, it has ground oats (also known as white oats), which help improve cardiovascular health and maintain healthy blood pressure levels. Awesome.
The final key component is beta-hydroxy beta-methylbutyric acid or HMB for short.
In bodybuilding annals, HMB is an ergogenic acid which helps increase strength, decrease catabolism, and increase muscle growth – all attractive post-workout benefits.
However, a study in Nutrition & Metabolism published in 2008 reveals “a number of studies analyzed did not support the efficacy of HMB supplementation.”
The verdict is still out on HMB. If you’re still iffy, you may be better off consuming another versatile ingredient – betaine anhydrous – instead. You can find it in Kris Gethin’s KAGED MUSCLE RE-KAGED post-workout supplement.
Let’s check out the formula ingredients:
- Energy, 998 kJ/236 kcal: This is the standard unit of measurement for energy for food in the United Kingdom. “kJ” stands for “kilojoules” while “kcal” stands for kilocalories. To put things in proper perspective, one serving of MyProtein Hurricane XS gives off almost as much energy as a 25-gram slice of wholemeal toast (985 kJ/235 kcal).
- Fats, 2.6 g: My Protein Hurricane XS isn’t a high-fat post-workout supplement at 4 percent of the reference intake (RI) of an average adult. The fat content is derived from lactose from whey protein concentrate and omega fatty acids from the soy lecithin component – the latter a source of good fats, which is great. However, the saturated fat content is somewhat high at seven percent RI. While there have been mixed viewpoints regarding this issue, the American Heart Association recommends “aiming for a dietary pattern that achieves five percent to six percent of calories from saturated fat,” per its official website.
- Carbohydrates, 22 g: As expected, MyProtein Hurricane XS has a somewhat high carb content (eight percent RI) because of its ground oats and dextrose contents. In this case, carbs aren’t the enemy – both will help you achieve your post-workout goals by improving cardiovascular health and boosting nutrient absorption, respectively.
- Protein, 30 g: Good protein content here, folks. In fact, it trumps the likes of MusclePharm Combat 100% Whey (25 grams per serving). Your muscles will love you for it.
- Salt, 0.18 g: Okay, let’s do the math: this is equal to 180 milligrams of sodium per serving. According to the nutritional label, this is equal to three percent RI, which is safe for individuals who are watching their sodium intake.
- Creatine monohydrate (Creapure), 5 g: MyProtein Hurricane XS has awesome creatine content. We say that because a good number of post-workout supplements have only three grams or so per serving. Not only that, the product boasts of Creapure, the highly-touted German creatine brand. Can you spell “quality?”
- HMB (beta-hydroxy beta-methylbutyric acid), 1.5 g: Seemingly versatile ingredient because of its supposed abilities to increase muscle growth and strength. While the verdict is still out, many studies say it’s a relatively safe ingredient to take.
We’re loving every bit of MyProtein Hurricane XS so far. In fact, it’s blown us away.
First off, the product has an impressive 30 grams of protein (WPC and WPI) per serving.
Many post-workout supplements make do with creatine, leucine, BCAAs, and betaine anhydrous for muscle growth. Their manufacturers are confident protein isn’t necessary.
However, MyProtein Hurricane XS begs to differ.
When you take this supplement, you don’t need to consume a separate whey protein shake to fortify your post-workout nutrition. You have your muscle-building needs in one product.
If that isn’t practical, we don’t know what is.
MyProtein Hurricane XS also has five grams of creatine monohydrate (Creapure) and 1.5 grams of HMB per serving. Their inclusion guarantees more muscle growth and improved athletic performance.
Throw in 22 grams of carbs in the forms of dextrose and ground oats, and your recovery will soar, folks.
We like the inclusion of dextrose, a carbohydrate which helps improve nutrient absorption – a critical component of the post-workout anabolic window.
You need to replenish as soon as your last rep ends. Dextrose will help your muscles absorb the key nutrients in MyProtein Hurricane XS. We think that’s downright awesome.
This product is also low in fats and sodium, which is great.
What isn’t so great is the somewhat high saturated fat content (seven percent of the reference intake of an average adult). If this concerns you, consult your physician before consuming.
All in all, MyProtein Hurricane XS has clean and simple ingredients – the manufacturer accounts for all of them in the nutritional label. Great transparency. No fillers. No proprietary blends.
MyProtein Hurricane XS Benefits
MyProtein Hurricane XS has the following benefits, per its official website:
- Protein – MyProtein Hurricane XS delivers a fast supply of amino acids to the muscles for growth and repair.
- Carbohydrates – Twenty-two grams of dextrose and ground oats per serving will help replenish depleted glycogen stores after a hard workout.
- Creatine – Five grams of Creapure per serving will help increase physical performance.
- HMB – 1.5 grams per serving helps boost recovery.
We agree with these claims. MyProtein Hurricane XS will help you achieve your post-workout goals and then some.
Who Takes It?
MyProtein Hurricane XS is intended for healthy and active individuals who want to achieve their post-workout goals, build muscle mass, increase strength, and boost recovery.
Any Side Effects?
MyProtein Hurricane XS has no glaring side effects. However, this product has a somewhat high saturated fat content at seven percent of the reference intake (RI) of an average adult. Consult your physician if this concerns you.
Lastly, those who are allergic to milk products should steer clear of MyProtein Hurricane XS.
MyProtein Hurricane XS Summary
- Great combination of ingredients. WPC, WPI, Creapure, HMB, ground oats, and dextrose.
- Thirty grams of protein per serving. Trumps a good number of protein supplements.
- Five grams of Creapure per serving. German brand of creatine monohydrate for awesome results.
- Has dextrose. Post-workout carb which helps boost nutrient absorption.
- Clean ingredients. No fillers and proprietary blends.
- Great variety. Comes in 10 different flavors.
- Good reputation. Customers have given this product high ratings. We don’t blame them.
- Affordable. $40.81 for a 2,500-gram (5.5-lb.) bag.
- Somewhat high saturated fat content. Consult your doctor if this concerns you.
Pricing & Buying Info
- 1 2,500-gram (5.5-lb.) bag (60-Day Supply): $40.81
- Available online and in retail
Final Word on MyProtein Hurricane XS
This is one powerhouse post-workout supplement, folks.
You get 30 grams or protein, 22 grams of carbs, creatine monohydrate, and HMB in one product.
MyProtein Hurricane XS also has clean ingredients and good transparency. It has everything going for it. The pros far, far outweigh the lone con.
From a weather bureau perspective, we rate this one as a Category 5 in a good way.