Caffeine is not a nootropic.
There, we said it. But if you read Best 5 Supplement reviews, it’s probably not the first time you’ve heard us make this point.
NITROvit & NITROamp feel the need to put caffeine in BOTH of their nootropic formulas, however… which takes away from some otherwise outstanding nootropic ingredient choices.
The reliance on caffeine — and their use of some lower-quality ingredient forms — land these NITRO supplements just outside of our Best 5 Nootropic Supplements for 2016.
But NITROvit and NITROamp still have plenty of benefits for anybody who needs a brain boost. Let’s check ’em out.
About NITROvit & NITROamp
Made by NeuroLaboratories, NITROvit & NITROamp are nootropic formulas that can be used alone or combined into a “Stack.” NITROvit is billed as an “Advanced Cognitive Nootropic” designed for “laser-like focus” and “intense productivity.” NITROamp appears to be more of a short-term mental energy booster. Together, the formulas may work by:
- Boosting circulation & neurotransmitters for mental energy, memory recall, focus, motivation, concentration and more.
- Protecting the brain for long-term health. This includes a claim of dissolving lipofuscin granules that may reduce blood flow to the brain.
- Reducing stress & anxiety while enhancing alertness; this claim is mostly tied to NITROamp’s Caffeine+L-Theanine combo.
NITROvit Supplement Facts
|Ingredients||Amount Per Serving|
|Vitamin B6 (as Pyridoxine HCl)||20 mg|
|Vitamin B12 (as Cyanocobalamin)||150 mcg|
|Bacopa Leaf Powder||250 mg|
|Oat Straw Herb Powder||250 mg|
|Acetyl L-Carnitine||200 mg|
|CDP Choline (Citicoline)||150 mg|
|Phosphatidyl Serine||120 mg|
|Caffeine Anhydrous||100 mg|
|Alpha Lipoic Acid||100 mg|
|Huperzine A (From Club Moss Extract)||150 mcg|
NITROamp Supplement Facts
|Ingredients||Amount Per Serving|
NITROvit & NITROamp combine to supply ALL 5 of our Best5 Nootropics.
They look like solid nootropic supplements, and the manufacturers make every cognitive performance claim under the sun. But can they back it up? Let’s take a closer look at the formulas and find out:
NITROvit: Focus, Memory, Productivity
This 12-ingredient complex supplies many of the best nootropics that work. Let’s break ’em down into categories:
NITROvit has 4 of our Best5 Nootropics! In order, they are:
- Citicoline: Brain energizer, good for attention & processing speed
- Phosphatidylserine: Possibly the best memory nootropic there is
- Bacopa monnieri: It does a lot, but most associated with learning
- Vinpocetine: Boosts brain circulation for better memory & focus
Other effective NITROvit nootropics…
Huperzine-A and B6 optimize brain chemicals for focus, mental agility and attention. Oatstraw has Alpha brainwave-boosting effects that promote relaxation, positive mood and stress resistance. Acetyl-L-Carnitine might work for long-term brain health, and accounts for NITROvit’s unusual lipofuscin-dissolving brain health claim.
So far, so good. NITROvit delivers some of the best nootropics, with brain health nutrients to boot. But NITROvit has formula flaws, too:
Some NITROvit ingredients just aren’t good nootropics.
- Caffeine+Taurine: Neither one is a nootropic. Both are commonly found in energy drinks; that’s what we assume NITROvit is going for here.
- Alpha Lipoic Acid. Not nootropic, but may have brain health benefits for older people facing age-related cognitive decline.
Some ingredients are low-dosage; some are low-quality.
We appreciate that NITROvit gives us dosages, but it exposes that some are way too low. For example, to get brain benefits, you need at least:
- 1,500 mg ALCAR… NITROvit only has 200 mg
- 2,000 mg Oatstraw… NITROvit only has 250 mg
- 250 mg Citicoline… NITROvit only has 150 mg.
Low dosage is worsened by low-potency forms: Cheap B6 & B12, and no standardized herbs. They say you can double-dose (up to 4 caps daily), which would help with these dosage/potency issues.
Despite flaws, NITROvit is a strong nootropic formula.
Many NITROvit ingredients DO hit ideal dosage ranges for mental performance benefits. They’ve done a fine job choosing nootropic ingredients that not only work, but seem to work well together.
It’s just Caffeine+L-Theanine: A popular mental performance duo, but caffeine is not a nootropic. NITROamp’s caffeine is also concerning because NITROvit already has caffeine. Take both as directed, and you get 200 mg Caffeine. That’s a lot, especially if you drink coffee. L-Theanine helps: It’s a Best5 Nootropic that helps relaxation & clarity while reducing caffeine jitters.
NITROvit & NITROamp Benefits
It’s funny how many nootropic benefits they claim. Here’s a sampling: Focus, clarity, learning, mental energy, mood, concentration, memory, alertness, motivation, anxiety, and more. The ingredients back up many of these claims; in fact, when you put NITROvit & NITROamp together, they have 7 of the 11 ingredients found in our top-rated nootropic product. for overall cognitive enhancement. We feel their most accurate claim is the simplest one, right on their homepage: “May help control focus and attention issues.”
Who Takes NITROvit & NITROamp?
Go-getters. They emphasize boosting cognition to gain a “competitive edge,” along with creativity and productivity claims for professionals. They offer a “Student Pack” that targets young people, but they also say the formulas help with age-related brain problems. Since NITROvit and NITROamp supply many of the best nootropics, it makes sense that these formulas could be used by anyone, regardless of age… as long as you can handle caffeine.
Any Side Effects?
NeuroLaboratories claims that at their recommended dosage, the formulas have no side effects. BUT, they also say that you can double the dosage… which would deliver 400 mg caffeine, and would almost certainly result in jitters, nervousness and other caffeine-related side effects.
NITROvit & NITROamp Pros
- Great nootropic ingredients. Together they supply 13 ingredients–including ALL 5 of our Best5 Nootropics, 3 more nootropics that work, 3 non-nootropics for brain health, and 2 “duds” (caffeine+taurine).
- Formula transparency. Both formulas reveal the exact form and dosage of every ingredient, a sign of honesty and quality.
- Credible brand. They have a beautiful, information-rich website and many convincing testimonials. They carefully explain the “why and how” of their ingredients. We appreciate this.
- Free stuff! NeuroLaboratories offers a free newsletter and ebook with productivity tips, which you can download even if you don’t buy.
NITROvit & NITROamp Cons
- 2X Caffeine. Both formulas contain caffeine. Take ’em both and drink coffee, and you might become an overstimulated, nervous wreck.
- Some low dosages & weak forms. Even the best nootropics in the universe will fail if they are presented in weak forms at ineffective dosages.
- Some BS. They say, “NITROvit only contains the absolute highest quality ingredients that ensure maximum potency and effectiveness…” But this is not true. They use cheap B vitamins and not a single standardized herb. Come on, NITROvit. Don’t BS us.
- Bogus guarantee. “If any of our products leave you anything other than completely satisfied, simply return unopened bottles within 60 days for a full refund (less shipping and handling).” So in order to get a refund, you have to return unopened bottles? How are you supposed to try them?
Final Word on NITROvit & NITROamp
NITROvit and NITROamp work. NITROvit falls short on some dosages, but enough hit therapeutic dosage to bring nootropic benefits. Both formulas sharpen alertness based on caffeine alone. Meanwhile, the real nootropics are performing bio-activities to support mental clarity, memory, attention, productivity and more. If NeuroLaboratories used clinical dosages, standardized herbs and premium forms, NITROvit and NITROamp would easily be a 5-Star Stack. But as the formulas stand…