If you’re the epitome of today’s man, you may need a potent multivitamin to help shore up your health.
Yeah, we know: there are many pretenders out there on the market.
However, Optimum Nutrition OPTI-MEN isn’t one of them.
How does Bodybuilding.com’s Multi-Vitamin of the Year winner in 2013 grab you?
We believe we’ve piqued your interest for this review.
About Optimum Nutrition OPTI-MEN
Optimum Nutrition OPTI-MEN is “a complete Nutrient Optimization System providing 70-plus active ingredients in four blends specifically designed to support the nutrient needs of active men,” per its official website. Formula notes:
- Comprehensive ingredients. Covers all the bases for today’s active man.
- Excellent source of B Vitamins. Helps increase energy levels and boost heart health.
- Has a ton of antioxidants. Helps ward off nasty free radicals.
Optimum Nutrition OPTI-MEN Supplement Facts (90 Tablets)
|Serving Size: 3 Tablets
Servings Per Container: 30
|Nutrient||Amount Per Serving||% Daily Value|
|Vitamin A (as beta Carotene, Natural Mixed Carotenoids)||10,000 IU||200%|
|Vitamin C (as Ascorbic Acid)||300 mg||500%|
|Vitamin D (as Cholecalciferol)||1,500 IU||375%|
|Vitamin E (as D-Alpha Tocopherol Succinate)||200 IU||667%|
|Vitamin K (as Phytonadione)||75 mcg||94%|
|Thiamin (as Thiamin Hydrochloride)||75 mg||5,000%|
|Niacin (as Niacinamide)||75 mg||375%|
|Vitamin B6 (as Pyridoxine Hydrochloride)||50 mg||2,500%|
|Folic Acid||600 mcg||150%|
|Vitamin B12 (as Cyanocobalamin)||100 mcg||1,667%|
|Pantothenic Acid (As D-Calcium Pantothenate)||75 mg||750%|
|Calcium (As Calcium Carbonate, Citrate)||50 mg||5%|
|Iodine (As Kelp)||150 mcg||100%|
|Magnesium (As Magnesium Oxide, Aspartate)||80 mg||20%|
|Zinc (As Zinc Citrate)||15 mg||100%|
|Selenium (As Selenomethionine)||200 mcg||286%|
|Copper (As Copper Gluconate)||2 mg||100%|
|Manganese (As Manganese Gluconate)||2 mg||100%|
|Chromium (As Chromium Gtf)||120 mcg||100%|
|Molybdenum (As Molybdenum A.A. Chelate)||80 mcg||107%|
|Amino Blend||1 g||†|
|L-Arginine, L-Glutamine, L-Valine, L-Leucine, L-Isoleucine, L-Cystine, L- Lysine, L-Threonine|
|Phyto Men Blend||100 mg||†|
|Green Tea Powder (leaf), Hesperidin Complex (fruit), Deodorized Garlic Powder (bulb), Grape Seed Extract (standardized to 95% polyphenol) (seed), Fruit Blend [Orange Powder (fruit), Pineapple Powder (fruit), Apple Powder (fruit), Grape Powder (fruit), Blueberry Powder (fruit), Cranberry Powder (fruit), Papaya Powder (fruit), Elderberry Powder (fruit), Bilberry Powder (fruit), Black Currant Powder (fruit), Kiwi Powder (fruit)], and Vegetable Blend [Wild Yam Powder (root), Carrot Powder (root), Spinach Powder (leaf), Cauliflower Powder (head), Kale Powder (leaf), Brussels Sprouts Powder (edible head), Broccoli Powder (whole plant)]|
|Viri Men Blend||50 mg||†|
|Saw Palmetto Extract (berry), Damiana Extract (leaf), Panax Ginseng Extract (root), Gingko Biloba Powdered Extract (leaf), Nettles Powdered Extract (leaf), Pumpkin Extract (seed), Raw Oyster Concentrate|
|Enzy Blend||50 mg||†|
|Papain, Bromelain, alpha Amylase, Lipase|
|Alpha-Lipoic Acid||25 mg||†|
|Paba (Para-Aminobenzoic Acid)||10 mg||†|
|Choline (as Choline Bitartrate)||10 mg||†|
|Lycopene (Lyc-O-Mato®)||500 mcg||†|
|Alpha Carotene||140 mcg||†|
|Other Ingredients: Microcrystalline Cellulose, Stearic Acid, Croscarmellose Sodium, Pharmaceutical Glaze No. 2, Magnesium Stearate, Silica.|
|Directions For Opti-Men: As a dietary supplement for men, consume 3 tablets daily with food.|
More Than A Multi
Perhaps you’ve been taking vitamins since you were a kid. Mom always reminded you to take them to offset all the junk food you ate back then.
Now, you know better.
In fact, taking a multivitamin does wonders: it helps fill those nutrition gaps and improve your quality of life.
One such product is EVLUTION NUTRITION VITAMODE, which is ideal for hard-training individuals.
In our opinion, it’s a solid supplement. However, it’s not the best in the industry.
Can a men’s multivitamin claim that title?
Enter Optimum Nutrition OPTI-MEN.
Take a hint from the name, folks: it’s a “Daily Multivitamin for Overall Men’s Health,” per the manufacturer’s official website.
Plus, the folks at Optimum Nutrition say it’s “more than a muti,” per the same source.
Well, that’s what we want to hear – a multivitamin gives your body a ton of benefits. If it goes above and beyond the call of duty, it bodes well for your long-term health.
“OPTI-MEN is a comprehensive Nutrient Optimization System providing 75+ active ingredients in four blends specifically designed to support the nutrient needs of active men,” per Optimum Nutrition’s official website.
“Each serving includes free-form amino acids, antioxidant vitamins, essential minerals, and botanical extracts in foundational amounts that can be built upon through consumption of a healthy balanced diet,” per the same source.
The manufacturer’s website also reminds men to “think of OPTI-MEN as nutritional insurance for your fit lifestyle.”
We like it.
You follow a rigorous exercise and nutrition regimen, but if you take those nutrition gaps for granted, you may compromise your long-term results.
If more than 75 active ingredients don’t do the trick, nothing will.
That’s why we’re thankful for multivitamins such as Optimum Nutrition OPTI-MEN.
However, this product didn’t make a good first impression on us.
The first thing we checked (and you should, too) is a stamp of approval saying “ISO-Certified” or “All-Natural.” We suggest this is the first thing you do when shopping for a multivitamin.
We found no such label.
This is critical because it puts you at ease as the consumer. When you know you’re putting natural ingredients in your body, you have peace of mind.
With that, a multivitamin without the “ISO-Certified” or “All-Natural” label may have synthetic ingredients.
Believe us, folks: the last thing you want is consuming chemical-laced ingredients.
On the flip side, Optimum Nutrition OPTI-MEN earned Bodybuilding.com’s Multivitamin of the Year award in 2013.
In a way, it helps offset the missing label we were looking for.
On the other hand, we’re scratching our heads because it’s hard to fathom a reputable fitness website such as Bodybuilding.com giving props to a multivitamin which has four – count them – four proprietary blends.
The folks at Optimum Nutrition failed to disclose the individual ingredients of the Amino Blend, Phyto Men Blend, Viri Men Blend, and Enzy Blend.
How would you know if you’re overdosing or underdosing on a particular ingredient?
That’s the major downside of proprietary blends.
Too bad, because we think the components of Optimum Nutrition OPTI-MEN are awesome. Many men think so, too: they’ve given this product high marks online.
This product’s Amino Blend takes up one gram per serving and has “eight key free-form amino acids (including arginine, glutamine, and BCAAs), the building blocks of muscle protein.”
Our take: it’s hard to find a multivitamin which helps keep your muscles in an anabolic state. Trust us, that’s what most men want.
One gram of amino acids per serving (three tablets) is solid for a multivitamin. It will help boost your muscle preservation efforts in conjunction with a potent protein powder or post-workout supplement.
Believe it, folks.
As for the Phyto Men Blend (which takes up 100 milligrams per serving), it has “over 20 fruit and vegetable concentrates,” per Optimum Nutrition’s official website.
Well, many multivitamins nowadays also include fruit and vegetable blends to shore up their benefits.
You can’t go wrong with a potent fruit-and-vegetable punch.
We feel Optimum Nutrition OPTI-MEN has the fruits and veggies many men miss out on daily.
One hundred milligrams per serving certainly isn’t the optimal amount, but it will help.
Friendly reminder to all the guys out there: do not rely on Optimum Nutrition OPTI-MEN to meet your daily required intake of fruits and vegetables. Try getting most of it from your meals and snacks.
Next up is 50 milligrams of the Viri Men Blend per serving.
This has “eight botanicals and marine concentrates,” per the manufacturer’s website.
More specifically, these are saw palmetto, damiana, panax ginseng, gingko biloba, Nettles Powdered Extract, pumpkin, and raw oyster.
Here’s what you need to know: their benefits are perfect for the everyday man.
For instance, saw palmetto is a plant which helps boost prostate health and keep hair loss at bay.
For its part, panax ginseng helps increase endurance and regulate the immune system.
You get the idea.
When you combine these eight botanicals, great things will happen.
Optimum Nutrition OPTI-MEN’s fourth ingredient group is the Enzy Blend, which takes up 50 milligrams per serving.
Many – not all – multivitamins are including digestive enzymes to speed up the absorption process.
This product’s combo of papain, bromelain, alpha amylase, and lipase covers all the bases – it should help digest protein, carbs, and fats efficiently.
Despite its flaws, Optimum Nutrition OPTI-MEN lives up to its billing as a supplement which is “More Than A Multi.”
Let’s check out the formula ingredients:
- Vitamin A (as beta carotene, natural mixed carotenoids), 10,000 IU: The vitamin best known for its ability to boost eye health. It can also shore up your immune system and ward off free radicals.
- Vitamin C (as ascorbic acid), 300 mg: Known for keeping the common cold at bay, ascorbic acid also acts as a potent antioxidant. Optimum Nutrition OPTI-MEN has an incredible 500 percent of the daily value for Vitamin C (anything more than 15 percent is high).
- Vitamin D (as cholecalciferol), 1,500 IU: If you’re not getting enough early morning sunlight, your Vitamin D levels may plummet. This vitamin is crucial for maintaining good cardiovascular health. Optimum Nutrition OPTI-MEN gives you more than enough Vitamin D at an awesome 375 percent of the daily value.
- Vitamin E (as d-alpha tocopherol succinate), 200 IU: A vitamin which helps boost metabolism and ward off free radicals. This supplement is teeming with Vitamin E – it has 667 percent of the daily value. Awesome.
- Vitamin K (as phytonadione), 75 mcg: Vitamin K helps improve bone density as well as teeth and gum health.
- Thiamin (as thiamin hydrochloride), 75 mg: Also known as Vitamin B1, this is the most abundant ingredient of Optimum Nutrition OPTI-MEN. How does a whopping 5,000 percent of the daily value grab you? You are sure to increase your energy levels and improve heart health when you take this supplement.
- Riboflavin, 75 mg: Simply known as Vitamin B2, this is the second-biggest ingredient of Optimum Nutrition OPTI-MEN at an incredible 4,412 percent of the daily value. This vitamin helps increase energy levels. It also helps strengthen the immune and digestive systems.
- Niacin (as niacinamide), 75 mg: Also known as Vitamin B3, this ingredient helps boost heart health and regulate cholesterol levels. Caution: high doses of niacin (more than 50 mg) may result in an itching or tingling sensation in some individuals. People with low blood pressure should also steer clear of niacin, per the University of Maryland Medical Center.
- Vitamin B6 (as pyridoxine hydrochloride), 50 mg: The third-biggest ingredient of Optimum Nutrition OPTI-MEN at an unbelievable 2,500 percent of the daily value. Vitamin B6 helps regulate the nervous system, boost heart health, and maintain healthy hormone levels.
- Folic acid, 600 mcg: Don’t cringe. Men can also benefit from folic acid. This ingredient helps keep levels of the amino acid homocysteine in check. Too much of it may compromise heart health.
- Vitamin B12 (as cyanocobalamin), 100 mcg: Optimum Nutrition OPTI-MEN’s fourth-biggest ingredient at an impressive 1,667 percent of the daily value. This vitamin helps delay the onset of fatigue, boost heart health, and regulate the immune system.
- Biotin, 300 mcg: Although biotin is known to improve skin, nail, and hair health, it also helps regulate blood sugar and cholesterol levels.
- Pantothenic acid (as d-calcium pantothenate), 75 mg: Also known as Vitamin B5, this ingredient helps increase stamina and strengthen the immune system.
- Calcium (as calcium carbonate, citrate), 50 mg: Optimum Nutrition OPTI-MEN is not a significant source of calcium at just five percent of the daily value (anything less than five percent is low).
- Iodine (as kelp), 150 mcg: This ingredient is best known for its ability to improve thyroid function. It also helps increase energy levels, ward off free radicals, and regulate the immune system.
- Magnesium (as magensium oxide, aspartate), 80 mg: This mineral is crucial for good heart health. It also helps strengthen one’s muscles and bones.
- Zinc (as zinc citrate), 15 mg: This mineral helps regulate blood sugar levels, boost weight loss, and keep free radicals at bay.
- Selenium (as selenomethionine), 200 mcg: Helps regulate the immune system, improve heart health, and ward off free radicals.
- Copper (as copper gluconate), 2 mg: Although humans don’t need high amounts of copper, this mineral helps increase energy levels and slow down the aging process.
- Manganese (as manganese gluconate), 2 mg: Helps regulate blood sugar levels. Manganese also helps ward off free radicals and inflammation.
- Chromium (as chromium gtf), 120 mcg: Mineral which helps regulate blood sugar and cholesterol levels.
- Molybdenum (as molybdenum A.A. chelate), 80 mcg: Helps the body rid itself of waste products efficiently. This mineral also helps keep free radicals at bay.
- Alpha-lipoic acid, 25 mg: A potent antioxidant which helps enhance Vitamin C and Vitamin E potency.
- Paba (para-aminobenzoic acid), 10 mg: Helps boost skin, hair, and digestive health.
- Choline (as choline bitartrate), 10 mg: Helps improve memory and cognitive function.
- Inositol, 10 mg: Helps regulate nerve function and produce a calming effect.
- Silica, 5 mg: Primarily known for its ability to boost hair, skin, and nail health, silica also helps strengthen muscle tissues and boost cardiovascular health.
- Boron, 2 mg: A mineral which helps improve cardiovascular health and ward off nasty free radicals.
- Lycopene (Lyc-O-Mato), 500 mcg: A naturally-occurring chemical which helps keep free radicals at bay and boost heart health. Lycopene also helps improve eye health.
- Lutein, 500 mcg: A phytonutrient which is known for boosting eye health. It also helps increase immunity.
- Alpha carotene, 140 mcg: An antioxidant which helps keep free radicals at bay and improve heart health.
- Vanadium, 100 mcg: A potent trace mineral which helps regulate blood sugar levels, keep free radicals at bay, and strengthen bones.
- Cryptoxanthin, 34 mcg: A powerful antioxidant which can be a precursor of the eye-boosting ingredient, Vitamin A.
- Zeaxanthin, 28 mcg: An antioxidant which is primarily known for its eye health benefits.
Amino Blend, 1 g
- L-arginine: The amino acid precursor of nitric oxide, which helps improve blood flow for increased nutrient uptake, bigger muscle pumps, and healthy blood pressure levels.
- L-glutamine: The most abundant amino acid which helps preserve muscle mass, increase human growth hormone (HGH) levels, and regulate the digestive system.
- L-valine: The branch-chained amino acid (BCAA) which helps repair muscle tissue, increase endurance, and regulate the immune system.
- L-leucine: The most anabolic amino acid which helps kickstart muscle protein synthesis for more muscle growth.
- L-isoleucine: The BCAA which helps boost post-exercise muscle recovery, maintain healthy protein levels, and ensure a positive nitrogen balance for muscle growth.
- L-cysteine: An amino acid which helps promote healthy hair, skin, and nails.
- L-lysine: Helps the digestive system absorb calcium. This amino acid also helps quell anxiety.
- L-threonine: An essential amino acid which helps regulate protein balance. It also helps regulate the digestive, immune, and central nervous systems.
Phyto Men Blend, 100 mg
- Green tea powder: Green tea is one of the world’s healthiest drinks. It helps boost fat loss, improve heart health, and keep nasty free radicals at bay.
- Hespiridin complex (fruit): This is a substance found in orange peels which helps ward off free radicals and inflammation, improve cardiovascular health, quell anxiety, and improve blood flow.
- Deodorized garlic powder (bulb): Improves heart health, regulates blood pressure, and keep the common cold at bay.
- Grape seed extract (standardized to 95 percent polyphenol) (seed): A fruit which is a rich source of polyphenol, a substance which helps ward off free radicals.
- Orange powder (fruit): A solid source of Vitamin C. It helps regulate blood pressure levels, keep free radicals at bay, and ward off the common cold.
- Pineapple powder (fruit): A fruit which helps ward off inflammation, improve circulation, and boost immunity.
- Apple powder (fruit): Helps ward off free radicals, regulate cholesterol levels, strengthen bones, and boost weight loss.
- Grape powder (fruit): Helps keep free radicals at bay, slow down the aging process, increase good cholesterol levels, and improve cardiovascular health.
- Blueberry powder (fruit): Boosts urinary tract health, regulate the immune system, boost digestion, and improve eye health.
- Cranberry powder (fruit): Rich source of Vitamin C. Helps ward off free radicals, improve kidney function, boost dental health, and maintain good respiratory health.
- Papaya powder (fruit): A fruit which is known for its ability to improve skin health. It also helps regulate blood sugar levels, improve heart health, and boost digestion.
- Elderberry powder (fruit): Helps maintain good gastrointestinal and respiratory health, regulate blood pressure levels, and strengthen bones.
- Bilberry powder (fruit): Helps ward off free radicals, maintain good liver health, and boost cardiovascular health.
- Black currant powder (fruit): A fruit known for its ability to improve eye health. It also helps ward off free radicals and inflammation.
- Kiwi powder (fruit): Another fruit which is a rich source of Vitamin C. It also helps boost ocular, cardiovascular, and digestive health.
- Wild yam powder (root): A type of root crop which helps boost the digestive and reproductive systems. It also helps ease anxiety.
- Carrot powder (root): Well-known for its ability to improve eyesight. Carrots also help regulate blood pressure and blood sugar levels, boost the digestive system, and improve heart health.
- Spinach powder (leaf): Green leafy vegetable which is a top-notch source of folate, Vitamin A, Vitamin K, fiber, magnesium, and calcium.
- Cauliflower powder (head): Vegetable which facilitates healthy cell growth, detoxifies the liver and blood, and keeps free radicals at bay.
- Kale powder (leaf): Green leafy vegetable which helps ward off inflammation, detoxify the body, improve eyesight, improve heart health, and stop free radicals dead in their tracks.
- Brussels sprouts powder (edible head): Vegetable which helps improve eyesight, strengthen bones, ward off inflammation, and boost cardiovascular health.
- Broccoli powder (whole plant): Helps boost immunity, keep free radicals at bay, strengthen bones, and regulate healthy blood pressure levels.
Viri Men Blend, 50 mg
- Saw palmetto extract (berry): Helps increase virility, increase muscle mass, boost prostate health, and strengthen the immune system.
- Damiana extract (leaf): Acts as a natural aphrodisiac, balances hormone levels, quells anxiety, and improves urinary tract health.
- Panax ginseng extract (root): Helps rid the blood of impurities, increases red blood cell production, regulates blood pressure and blood sugar levels, increases stamina, and strengthens the immune system.
- Gingko biloba powdered extract (leaf): Helps improve memory, boosts cell nutrient uptake, improves circulation, and keep free radicals at bay.
- Nettles powdered extract (leaf): This ingredient is derived from the stinging nettle plant, a flowering plant which helps improve prostate and urinary health. It also helps improve joint health.
- Pumpkin extract (seed): Excellent source of Vitamin A for improved eyesight. It also helps regulate cholesterol levels, boost heart health, and improve sleep quality.
- Raw oyster concentrate: Helps strengthen the immune system, improve circulation, boost heart health, and increase virility.
Enzyme Blend, 50 mg
- Papain: A by-product of the papaya fruit which helps the body digest protein. It also helps break down toxins and ward off free radicals and inflammation.
- Bromelain: A digestive enzyme from pineapple which helps break down protein. Just like papain, bromelain also helps keep free radicals and inflammation at bay.
- Alpha amylase: A digestive enzyme which helps break down carbohydrates, increase energy levels, regulate blood sugar levels, and ward off free radicals.
- Lipase: A digestive enzyme which helps the body break down and absorb fats.
Whew. Have you caught your breath yet?
With more than 75 ingredients, Optimum Nutrition OPTI-MEN is one packed multivitamin.
The manufacturer sure wasn’t kidding when it said this supplement is “more than a multi.”
We agree with this wholeheartedly.
Optimum Nutrition OPTI-MEN has the usual mega doses of vitamins and minerals. It is an exemplary source of B Vitamins. This guarantees increased energy levels and better cardiovascular health.
Oh, and just about every ingredient we stumbled upon says “wards nasty free radicals.”
The takeaway: this multivitamin is also an excellent source of antioxidants.
We like Optimum Nutrition OPTI-MEN for two reasons:
It caters to the health needs of the modern man
It has a unique identity
We can substantiate reason No. 2 with the Amino Blend, Phyto Men Blend, Viri Men Blend, and Enzy Blend.
Yes, fruits, vegetables, and digestive enzymes are fantastic inclusions, too. However, many competitors have them.
Now, if you’re a man who’s always on the go, can you pass up on a multivitamin which helps keep your body in an anabolic state?
Can you skip a multivitamin which helps increase virility and boost prostate health?
We don’t think so.
Make no mistake about it, folks: these are the main selling points of Optimum Nutrition OPTI-MEN.
On the flip side, we don’t like the manufacturer’s use of proprietary blends.
Note the company didn’t divulge the individual ingredient amounts of the four blend we mentioned.
For that, we give the manufacturer a C for transparency (it did reveal the amounts of the other ingredients).
We also mentioned the bottle doesn’t say “All-Natural” or “ISO-Certified.” It could be a sign this product may have synthetic ingredients. Watch out.
Good thing this product won Bodybuilding.com’s Multi-Vitamin of the Year award in 2013. That alleviates the issue somewhat.
Still, Optimum Nutrition OPTI-MEN is a solid product.
Supplement Name Benefits
Optimum Nutrition OPTI-MEN has the following benefits, per its official website:
- More than 75 active ingredients
- High-potency vitamins and minerals
- Increased Vitamin D content (1,500 IU)
- More than 275 grams of B Vitamins
- Impressive free-form amino acid content (1,000 mg)
We agree with these claims. Optimum Nutrition OPTI-MEN’s benefits suit the lifestyle of the modern man and can help him achieve his daily fitness goals.
Who Takes It?
Optimum Nutrition OPTI-MEN is intended for healthy and active males who are at least 18 years of age who want to fill nutrition gaps, increase energy, improve their overall health, and achieve their daily fitness goals.
Any Side Effects?
While Optimum Nutrition OPTI-MEN has no glaring side effects, its increased niacin (Vitamin B3) content (375 percent of the daily value) may result in an itching or twitching facial sensation in some individuals.
If this, or any other ingredient, makes you feel doubtful, please consult your physician before purchasing.
The manufacturer also issues a warning:
Optimum Nutrition OPTI-MEN Summary
- Comprehensive ingredients. Covers all the bases for today’s active man.
- Excellent source of B Vitamins. Help increase energy levels and boost heart health.
- Tons of antioxidants. Ward off nasty free radicals.
- Amino Blend. Helps the body remain in an anabolic state.
- Phyto Men Blend. Tons of fruits and vegetables.
- Viri Men Blend. Helps increase virility and boost prostate health.
- Enzy Blend. Helps improve nutrient absorption.
- Possible inclusion of synthetic ingredients. No “All-Natural” label on bottle.
- Proprietary blends. Manufacturer doesn’t divulge individual ingredient amounts of four blends. Boo.
Pricing & Buying Info
- 1 21-Tablet Bottle (7-Day Supply): $7.99
- 1 90-Tablet Bottle (30-Day Supply): $19.99
- 1 150-Tablet Bottle (50-Day Supply): $28.99
- 1 240-Tablet Bottle (80-Day Supply): $78.49
- Available online and in retail
Final Word on Optimum Nutrition OPTI-MEN
This one’s an easy call, folks: Optimum Nutrition OPTI-MEN is definitely more than a multi.
B Vitamins, antioxidants, virility ingredients – you name it. It has everything the modern man needs for long-term health.
However, it’s not a perfect multivitamin (possible inclusion of synthetic ingredients and the use of proprietary blends).
Nevertheless, we recommend you buy Optimum Nutrition OPTI-MEN and feel the difference it makes.