We mostly prefer things we’ve grown up with rather than try to learn something new. Our brain is literally hot-wired to gravitate toward things we’re all used to doing. It’s the same with supplements.
We naturally feel better taking what stood the test of time specially with ingredients like creatine where the monohydrate form, despite all sorts of innovative madness, is still the form to beat.
GNC thinks it’s found something that can trump monohydrate and used it in their Amplified Creatine 189. Let’s go check it out!
About GNC Pro Performance AMP Amplified Creatine 189
GNC’s Amplified Creatine 189 is not your ordinary creatine tablets. The bottle itself has a study reflecting its effectiveness and the reason why it bears the ‘189’ in its label. Could GNC have cracked something here? Formula notes:
- Just Creatine: It’s a one-ingredient powder like most lifters prefer.
- PEG – Creatine System™: This is a new ingredient to us and we’re excited to review it.
- Fluff: Ugh. Be careful of the other ingredients section. It’s a jungle out there.
GNC Pro Performance AMP Amplified Creatine 189 Supplement Facts
|Serving Size: Two Tablets
Servings Per Container: Approx. 60
|Ingredients||Amount Per Serving|
|PEG – Creatine System™ (Creatine Hydrochloride)||1250 mg|
|Other Ingredients: Cellulose, Dicalcium Phosphate, Polyethylene Glycol, Titanium Dioxide (Natural Mineral Whitener), Enteric Coating (Cellulose, Sodium Alginate, Medium Chain Triglycerides, Oleic & Stearic Acid), Natural Mint Flavor, Sucralose.|
|Directions for use: As a dietary supplement, take two tablets daily. Studies have shown that taking creatine is beneficial before, during or after exercise. Therefore, timing doesn’t seem to matter. Take Amplified Creatine 189™ daily at a time convenient for you.|
If research gets better, this could be the next big thing.
As far as trends are concerned, we like where GNC went with their Amplified Creatine 189. Don’t let that tiny dose fool you, this one’s pretty concentrated. Let’s break down the ingredients in this formula:
- PEG – Creatine System ™. We dug up some serious research about this ingredient and we’re telling you, it looks good. Not only does it perform well as a performance booster but it was able to match the effects of creatine monohydrate with just half the dosage. Granted it didn’t match all aspects of creatine monohydrate, that double-potency is definitely something to think about.
Amplified Creatine 189’s creatine might be something even old users should consider trying. What we like is the fact that not only did GNC made use of a pretty potent form of creatine but also made use of its clinically effective dose.
Before this, when someone tells us we can take a creatine supplement at less than half our usual dosage we would be laughing so hard we’d end up skipping training for one day. With this ingredient, though, it just opens your mind to new potentials and formulations for stacks!
Knowing GNC, we’re pretty sure the whole thing remains unchanged after all these years so looks like some chewing is required after all.
Despite the poop-controversy (yeah, it’s funny) we should still ask: Is this the replacement? Almost but not quite. It can replicate creatine monohydrate’s perk on muscle strength but not so much on body mass, endurance, or power output. So yes, creatine monohydrate is still top dog but PEG creatine definitely got us thinking.
GNC Pro Performance AMP Amplified Creatine 189 Benefits
It can give you comparable benefits of what creatine monohydrate can provide particularly on strength. Other qualities like endurance and power output are not on the same level but it’s close enough.
Who Takes It?
Definitely for those who’ve done their homework or looking for a smaller stack for their workouts. The fact that this is also in tablet form means no dissolving and shaking required so it’s also for the lifters who are in a hurry.
Any Side Effects?
We’re not sure if 1.25 g is enough to cause bloating. Not to mention it comes in tablet form but be ready just in case.
GNC Pro Performance AMP Amplified Creatine 189 Summary
- Just Creatine. One ingredient to rule them all.
- Stackable. Perfect for a pre or post workout stack.
- Research. GNC definitely did their homework.
- Potency. Similar to CM but at half the dosage.
- Great value. 60 tablets for the price is pretty good.
- Tablets. No dissolving necessary.
- Fluff. Like an entire blend itself.
- Chewing required. Some users say it sometimes comes out whole.
- No flavor. They may not like the taste of pure powder.
Pricing & Buying Info
- 1 bottle (60 tablets): $24.99
- Available online and in retail stores
Final Word on GNC Pro Performance AMP Amplified Creatine 189
We don’t usually like reviewing GNC products simply because the company isn’t actually known for its quality. With that said, we like what they did here if the research tells us as much. You can do a lot of things with the extra grams Amplified Creatine 189 freed up but we only have to wonder if it’s effectiveness is consistent given it sometimes doesn’t digest at all.
In the mean time, you can go check out some other bowel-safe creatine blends.