Quick, try naming a versatile BCAA supplement with a rare product trait.
We knew it. You’re stumped.
Try MusclePharm BCAA 3:1:2, for a change.
You can see for yourself this bodybuilding product’s BCAA ratio is rare. Not only that, but it comes in three versions (caffeinated, regular, and capsule forms).
Enjoy the review, folks.
About MusclePharm BCAA 3:1:2
MusclePharm BCAA 3:1:2 “offers a unique patent-pending ratio – three leucine, one isoleucine, two valine – that is specifically tuned to deliver the ideal amounts of these three amino acids during all phases of muscle development and maintenance,” per its official website. Formula notes:
- Unique 3:1:2 BCAA ratio. We dare you to find another BCAA product which follows this.
- Versatile. Comes in the regular, caffeinated, and capsule forms.
- Mediocre taste. Not the best-tasting BCAA product by a long shot.
MusclePharm BCAA 3:1:2 Supplement Facts (Blue Raspberry, 30 Servings)
|Serving Size: 2 scoops (7.16 g)
Servings Per Container: 30
|Nutrient||Amount Per Serving||% Daily Value|
|Other Ingredients: Malic Acid, Natural & Artificial Flavor, Sucralose, Soy Lecithin, Spirulina Powder.|
|Directions For BCAA 3:1:2: Take one (1) serving (2 scoops) of BCAA 3:1:2™ mixed into 10-12 oz. of cold water. Consume 1 serving one to three times daily. For optimal use, take between meals, 30-45 minutes before workouts, and/or immediately after workouts.|
MusclePharm BCAA 3:1:2 Supplement Facts (240 Capsules)
|Serving Size: 8 Capsules
Servings Per Container: 30
|Nutrient||Amount Per Serving||% Daily Value|
|Other Ingredients: Gelatin, Magnesium Stearate, Microcrystalline Cellulose|
|Directions For BCAA 3:1:2: Consume 1 serving one to three times daily. For optimal use, take between meals, 30-45 minutes before workouts, and/or immediately after workouts.|
MusclePharm BCAA 3:1:2 Supplement Facts (Blue Raspberry with Caffeine, 30 Servings)
|Serving Size: 2 scoops (10.8 g)
Servings Per Container: 30
|Nutrient||Amount Per Serving||% Daily Value|
|Total Carbohydrate||2 g||<1%|
|Caffeine Anhydrous||100 mg||†|
|Green Tea Leaf Extract (45% EGCG) 98% Polyphenols||50 mg||†|
|Panax Ginseng Root Powder||50 mg||†|
|Other Ingredients: Natural & Artificial Flavors, Citric Acid, Sodium Citrate, Tartaric Acid, Silicon Dioxide, Malic Acid, Fruit & Vegetable Juice (Color), Sucralose.|
|Directions For BCAA 3:1:2: Take one (1) serving (2 scoops)of BCAA 3:1:2™ mixed into 10-12 oz. of cold water. Consume 1 serving one to three times daily. For optimal use, take between meals, 30-45 minutes before workouts, and/or immediately after workouts.|
Demand More Of Your Body And Your BCAA
If you haven’t tried MusclePharm supplements, you’re missing out.
We’ve reviewed some bodybuilding products from this manufacturer, and they’ve been solid for the most part.
That translates to increased strength and muscle mass plus shorter recovery time. What could be better than that, folks?
We guarantee its 25 grams of protein per scoop will give you a fast return on your investment.
Now, another BCAA supplement from the same company is about to make a resounding statement.
Enter MusclePharm BCAA 3:1:2.
This supplement “offers a unique patent-pending ratio – three leucine, one isoleucine, two valine – that is specifically tuned to deliver the ideal amounts of these three amino acids during all phases of muscle development and maintenance,” per its official website.
“Through this formulation, amino acids are released both before and after a workout. MP BCAA minimizes muscle damage, while supporting increased lean body mass,” per the same source.
Our first impression: MusclePharm BCAA 3:1:2 covers the true essence of a bona fide BCAA supplement.
We feel the product description covers all of the bases.
Don’t believe us?
Check out the benefits of branch-chained amino acids:
- Helps boost protein synthesis
- Increases muscle mass
- Aids in fat loss
- Regulates hormone balance during exercise
- Ramps up endurance and wards off fatigue
- Keeps muscle soreness at bay
- Preserves muscle mass
- Supplements a solid nutrition plan
- Helps improve long-term health
The benefits align with MusclePharm BCAA 3:1:2’s emphasis on muscle development and maintenance and minimal muscle damage.
One of the first things which leaped out at us is the 3:1:2 BCAA ratio. If you pay close attention, the aforementioned MusclePharm Amino1 has the same BCAA ratio.
Makes you wonder why the manufacturer puts its trust in this ratio, doesn’t it?
Again, it all boils down to the product’s objectives.
If MusclePharm BCAA 3:1:2 intends to help the consumer increase anabolism (muscle building) and stop catabolism (muscle breakdown), the amount of each BCAA should be commensurate with these goals.
Naturally, the star of the show is three grams of l-leucine per serving.
Simply known as leucine, this is the most anabolic amino acid.
It triggers the release of a special protein known as mTOR. Once this happens, the muscle protein synthesis process kicks off.
We said it before, we’ll say it again, folks: no leucine, no muscle.
Fitness experts consider leucine special for three reasons:
- It helps stimulate muscle growth
- It helps regulate insulin sensitivity
- It owns the distinction as one of two amino acids which cannot be converted to sugar
Because leucine helps regulate insulin sensitivity, it helps you increase muscle mass and lose fat at the same time.
On this note, please do not underestimate leucine’s ability to boost weight loss.
Yes, you read that right.
Leucine helps trigger the release of an appetite-suppressing hormone from the hypothalamus (the part of the brain which produces the body’s hormones).
Long story short, leucine also helps you feel more satiated.
We say three grams of leucine per serving is perfect for a BCAA supplement – that much will help you remain in an anabolic state throughout the day.
Next up is MusclePharm BCAA 3:1:2’s two grams of valine per serving.
Valine is a versatile essential amino acid.
Check out what it can do for you:
- Helps repair muscle tissues
- Increases exercise endurance
- Helps regulate glucose levels during exercise
- Stimulates the central nervous system
- Increases muscle growth
- Regulates mental function
- Filters out extra nitrogen from the liver
- Helps improve sleep quality for shorter recovery time
- Acts as an appetite suppressant
When we say valine is versatile, please take our word for it.
It’s now easy to see why the company placed extra emphasis on valine – MusclePharm BCAA 3:1:2 will help you enjoy the essence of a true BCAA supplement.
While many BCAA products follow a 3:1:1 or 2:1:1 ratio, MusclePharm BCAA 3:1:2 takes the road less traveled.
That alone should get the attention of many consumers. We feel that was a good move on the part of the manufacturer.
The third and final key ingredient is one gram of l-isoleucine per serving.
This is another essential BCAA which has several key benefits:
- Helps increase energy and endurance
- Shortens recovery time
- Helps regulate blood sugar levels
- Plays a key role in blood clot formation
- Helps the body maintain a positive nitrogen balance
- Repairs muscle tissue
Hey, don’t get us wrong, folks – isoleucine is also versatile. However, valine is the bigger Jack of all trades.
Try comparing their benefits. We’re sure you’ll have the same conclusion.
Speaking of versatility, this adjective fits MusclePharm BCAA 3:1:2 perfectly.
This supplement comes in four different caffeine-free flavors (Blue Raspberry, Lemon Lime, Unflavored, Watermelon).
It also has two flavors with caffeine (Blue Raspberry and Watermelon).
Finally, it also has the 240-capsule version.
There are several things worth noting here.
First, it’s not one of the best-tasting BCAA supplements we’ve tried. In fact, it’s downright mediocre.
Some consumers even go out on a limb – they say it tastes (and smells) awful. We’re not going to argue.
By now, you should also know we’re a bit iffy when it comes to caffeine.
Yes, caffeine has several important health benefits (helps ward off Type 2 diabetes and free radicals, among other things), but the side effects (spike-crash and jittery effects) gnaw at our conscience.
With that, we prefer you go for the caffeine-free version.
However, both the caffeine-free and caffeine versions aren’t the best in terms of taste.
This leaves us with the capsule form of MusclePharm BCAA 3:1:2.
If you’re particular about taste, this is your best bet. However, it is not the most convenient option – one serving is equal to an insane eight capsules.
The manufacturer said you can spread this out over one to three times during the day.
Nonetheless, it can still be a major chore for busy individuals.
All in all, MusclePharm BCAA 3:1:2 has tremendous potential.
Too bad its flaws drag its value down.
Let’s check out the formula ingredients:
- L-leucine, 3,000 mg: The most anabolic amino acid which helps kickstart the muscle protein synthesis process. Leucine also helps regulate insulin sensitivity for increased muscle mass and fat loss. Three grams per serving is just about right for a BCAA supplement.
- L-valine, 2,000 mg: Arguably the most versatile among the three BCAAs. Valine can do it all – it helps repair muscle tissue, increase endurance, ramp up muscle growth, and suppress appetite, among other things. Not too many BCAA products emphasize valine as much as MusclePharm BCAA 3:1:2 does. Grab the opportunity.
- L-isoleucine, 1,000 mg: Another well-rounded BCAA which helps increase energy levels, shorten recovery time, repair muscle tissues, and maintain a positive nitrogen balance for more muscle growth.
MusclePharm BCAA 3:1:2’s marketing slogan is “Demand More of Your Body And Your BCAA,” per its official website.
Will this product exceed your lofty expectations?
To an extent, yes.
Unfortunately, as versatile as MusclePharm BCAA 3:1:2 is, its flaws are much too glaring.
That’s just sad.
Let’s focus on the positives first.
The 3:1:2 BCAA ratio is one of the most unique we’ve seen in the industry.
Many competitors emphasize leucine (what else is new?) and place valine and isoleucine on the same pedestal.
Not this one.
It’s like a breath of fresh air, to be honest.
Like we said, the three grams of leucine per serving is perfect for a BCAA product – it will help keep you in an anabolic state all day long.
On the other hand, it’s rare to stumble upon a BCAA supplement which puts a premium on valine as much as MusclePharm BCAA 3:1:2 (two grams per serving).
You’ve seen how versatile a BCAA valine is. If you’ve been longing for a BCAA product which has more valine, this is it.
As for the one gram of isoleucine per serving, we say it’s on point.
In addition, MusclePharm BCAA 3:1:2 has natural food colorings per flavor:
- Blue Raspberry – spirulina powder
- Lemon Lime – beta-carotene
- Watermelon – beet juice powder
- Blue Raspberry with Caffeine – fruit and vegetable juice
- Watermelon with Caffeine – fruit and vegetable juice
We like these. Far too many competitors use nasty artificial food colorings such as FD&C Yellow No. 5 which have certain side effects.
We’re sure glad MusclePharm BCAA 3:1:2 didn’t follow the crowd.
On a different note, we like this product’s versatility – you can choose from the caffeine-free, caffeine, and capsule versions.
That gives you more options to enjoy this rare 3:1:2 BCAA ratio.
We also laud the folks at MusclePharm for their transparency – they divulge all of the ingredient amounts.
No shady proprietary blends, either. Bravo.
Now for the chinks.
We already told you about this product’s so-so taste. If you like it, good for you. If not, you can try mixing it with your favorite juice or going for the capsule form.
The caffeine form can also double as a pre-workout supplement. However, if you’re susceptible to jitters and the spike-crash effect, please steer clear.
The capsule form’s downside is inconvenience. Like we said, consuming eight capsules daily can be a chore for busy individuals.
Lastly, this product has sucralose (a.k.a. Splenda), an artificial sweetener which has several side effects.
Bummer. The manufacturer could have used stevia (a plant-based sweetener which helps regulate blood sugar and blood pressure levels) instead.
MusclePharm 3:1:2 may have glaring flaws, but it can still deliver the goods.
MusclePharm BCAA 3:1:2 Benefits
MusclePharm BCAA 3:1:2 has the following benefits, per its official website:
- Helps increase lean muscle mass
- Keeps muscle breakdown in check
- Ramps up protein synthesis
We agree with the above claims. MusclePharm BCAA 3:1:2’s unique BCAA ratio will help you achieve your fitness goals.
Who Takes It?
The manufacturer formulated MusclePharm BCAA 3:1:2 for healthy and active individuals who are at least 18 years of age who want to increase muscle mass and protein synthesis, shorten recovery time, boost fat loss, and achieve their daily fitness goals.
Any Side Effects?
Some flavors of MusclePharm BCAA 3:1:2 have sucralose, an artificial sweetener which has several side effects.
In addition, this product’s caffeinated version may produce jittery and spike-crash effects in some individuals.
If these, or any other ingredient, make you feel doubtful, please consult your physician before purchasing.
The manufacturer also issues a warning:
MusclePharm BCAA 3:1:2 Summary
- Simple and effective ingredients. Features the three BCAAs.
- Unique 3:1:2 BCAA ratio. Rare BCAA product which doesn’t follow the crowd.
- Versatile. Has the decaffeinated, caffeinated, and capsule versions.
- Natural food colorings. Spirulina, beta-carotene, and beet juice (depending on flavor).
- Great transparency. Manufacturer reveals all of the ingredient amounts in all versions.
- Good reputation. Customers have given it decent ratings online.
- Mediocre taste. Some customers take it to the extreme – they say it tastes awful.
- Caffeine content. Skip the caffeinated version if you’re susceptible to its side effects.
- Inconvenience. Capsule form requires consumer to take eight daily – a major chore for busy folks.
- Has sucralose. Some flavors contain this artificial sweetener.
- Con. copy
Pricing & Buying Info
- 1 30-Serving Bottle (30-Day Supply): $18.99
- 1 30-Serving Bottle (with Caffeine, 30-Day Supply): $22.99
- 1 240-Capsule Bottle (30-Day Supply): $18.99
- Available online and in retail
Final Word on MusclePharm BCAA 3:1:2
It’s obvious MusclePharm BCAA 3:1:2 tries to stand out from the rest of the pack.
Look no further than its rare 3:1:2 BCAA ratio.
However, it also stands out for the wrong reasons (taste, inconvenience, caffeine content, etc.).
The final takeaway: MusclePharm BCAA 3:1:2 is an effective yet flawed BCAA supplement.
We recommend you try the option which best suits your taste. If all else fails, you can always buy another BCAA supplement.